• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: Chelsea sign Danny Drinkwater

On 03/12/2017 at 6:30 PM, Sleeping Dave said:

1. Wrong. Chalobah wanted to leave after Conte had asked him to go out on yet another loan. That's his what, sixth loan? 

2. What? Do you? No. So what point are you trying to make? That the defending PL champions can't buy an attacking player? Sounds like a bad excuse to be honest. 

3. Whatever. Drinkwater, Baka, they are both defensive midfielders. It wasn't DMs we lacked, it's AMs. 

4 Chalobah a goalscoring number 8? No wonder you don't seem to have placed him very well. He's no such thing. 

1. Wasn't it that he was offered no guarantees that he would play and then offered a loan if he wanted football? If I am wrong on that then fair enough.

2. Nothing of the sort. I said that there were not many options that were going actually be available. Drinkwater was, which is one of the reasons he came. However, since you appear to think it was easy to pick up attacking players this summer, can you name them as I do not have any recollection of fantastic attacking players moving for budgets (including wages) that we work on? 

3. I agree that Baka and Drinkwater should not both have been bought and it should have just been Drinkwater. For me Drinkwater is a very good option for the CM4 position and perhaps the best we could have asked for - decent quality, HG status, decent age, PL experienced, fairly safe to infer he is happy to play a squad role. That was actually my initial point. 

4) You have completely misunderstood me. Someone like Chabolah, for me, is currently a CM5 option. For that reason you have to compare him to Bakayoko and not Drinkwater. As for my No.8 comment, I meant that as we were in the market for two CM's one should have been a No.8 rather than two DM/CM's.

For me, in an ideal summer would have left our midfield as: Kante, Cesc, No.8, Drinkwater, Chabloah. However, Chabolah wanted to leave so was let go. The real mistake was buying Bakayoko as Drinkwater is a very useful option. 

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, Conte Kante said:

1. Wasn't it that he was offered no guarantees that he would play and then offered a loan if he wanted football? If I am wrong on that then fair enough.

2. Nothing of the sort. I said that there were not many options that were going actually be available. Drinkwater was, which is one of the reasons he came. However, since you appear to think it was easy to pick up attacking players this summer, can you name them as I do not have any recollection of fantastic attacking players moving for budgets (including wages) that we work on? 

3. I agree that Baka and Drinkwater should not both have been bought and it should have just been Drinkwater. For me Drinkwater is a very good option for the CM4 position and perhaps the best we could have asked for - decent quality, HG status, decent age, PL experienced, fairly safe to infer he is happy to play a squad role. That was actually my initial point. 

4) You have completely misunderstood me. Someone like Chabolah, for me, is currently a CM5 option. For that reason you have to compare him to Bakayoko and not Drinkwater. As for my No.8 comment, I meant that as we were in the market for two CM's one should have been a No.8 rather than two DM/CM's.

For me, in an ideal summer would have left our midfield as: Kante, Cesc, No.8, Drinkwater, Chabloah. However, Chabolah wanted to leave so was let go. The real mistake was buying Bakayoko as Drinkwater is a very useful option. 

Will add my bit to this.

1. At the time Matic was still here and we were chasing Bakayoko. With Chalobah not ousting those already here the prior season, the idea was for him to sign a new deal and head out on loan to play regularly. Bakayoko would then take his role in the side as fourth CM - later indicated by Conte after he said he didn't wish to sell Matic. Instead, Chalobah opted to leave for more guaranteed playing time and we obliged. Can understand why he wanted to play more and can understand why he wasn't guaranteed a first team position here. This is just one of those situation and neither party holds blame. 

3/4. I believe the original idea - and this was later mentioned by Conte, was that Bakayoko was meant to be an alternative to Matic. Bakayoko is young and was returning from injury, having him as 4th CM would have allowed him to be eased back and given him an easier environment to settle into. Instead, Matic was sold and Bakayoko had to immediately step in - without a pre-season and returning from injury. That then meant we needed a Matic replacement and Drinkwater was a good option that ticked a number of boxes. The situation changed once Matic was sold. Although, I wouldn't rule out that Drinkwater was a target even had Matic stayed. Regardless had Chalobah stayed or not, he was still going to remain either 4th CM or drop back into 5th choice. Neither of which would have given him the regular football he had wanted. 

^I think it was clear last season that Matic wasn't going to play much alongside Kante.  Bakayoko has actually been a reliable backup for Kante.  Matic just didn't have a role left at Chlesea.  Where would he play in 532?  Deeper amoungst the CBs? The No 8 role?
Once we bought Christensen back and bought Rudiger it was clear we intended to play 3CBs again.

But this is all discussing Titanic deckchairs and not the shortage of lifeboats.  We are short 3 AMs.

I think that Drinkwater improves (in terms of how comfortable he appears to be, and what he brings to the team performance)  just about every time I watch him play. He's looking every part a Chelsea player, and offers us something different to our other midfield options. My preferred midfield combo right now is: Kante, Drinkwater, Fabregas. 

Ham   
58 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

I think that Drinkwater improves (in terms of how comfortable he appears to be, and what he brings to the team performance)  just about every time I watch him play. He's looking every part a Chelsea player, and offers us something different to our other midfield options. My preferred midfield combo right now is: Kante, Drinkwater, Fabregas. 

Plus it would be good to see him back in the England squad for the World Cup (along with Cahill).  If he's regularly playing for a club like Chelsea he's a shoe-in. 

kev61   
On 01/01/2018 at 8:52 PM, Michael Tucker said:

And where does that leave  Bakayoko Michael? Probably watch this space.I can't see bakayoko ever becoming a top class player.I agree I make my mind up early but not in a vindictive way.We are a centre forward away and a creative non sluggish player in the middle of the park to make us even better.Azpi can play that role,Luis can play that role.A bit of lateral thinking can solve some of our problems without paying a fortune for players like Bakayoko.

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

And where does that leave  Bakayoko Michael? 

TBH, i don't care right now, Kev, because this is the Drinkwater thread. Sorry.

As I said earlier, this is the Drinkwater thread. If anyone needs to give their opinions on Bakayoko, then do it on the Bakayoko thread. C'mon, that's not too difficult, is it?

paulw66   
On 1/1/2018 at 8:52 PM, Michael Tucker said:

My preferred combo is 2 out of those 3, particularly against the bottom 14 sides.