• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 6 FK Qarabag 0

jones   

Lovely with a 6 goal thrashing to continue our confident form. Apart from the first 45 minutes of the season, we have started in impressive fashion. 

Zappacosta is the real deal. Totally comfortable in his position, honest, hard-working and, today at least, lived up to his reputation of being influential in the final third. That goal - wow! He is not and will never be a world-class player, but I think he can prove to be a very, very good signing for us. MotM.

Christensen looking solid yet again, will hopefully continue to improve as he looks set to be involved quite a lot this season. Always nice to see Azpi score also, and pleased for Bakayoko to open his account - it doesn't get much scrappier than that. Willian silky as always.

Bathshuayi on the other than hand had a shocker, despite the fact he got two easy goals at the end. His movement was awful all night, and judging by tonight he has never been further away from leading our line. The reason Morata could not come on, and he looked quite pissed, is because Conte was desperate for his second striker to gain some kind of positive experience. He ended on a high, yes, but for me this game was the nail in coffin for my hope that he will ever turn in to a good player for us. If Conte stays beyond the summer, I can't see how Batshuayi will. He has had a year to try and adapt to 3-4-3, and he looks as clueless now as he did the day he arrived. Top fella and good footballer, but will never be able to lead the line alone for a top club.

Hazard sadly seems to be some way off full fitness, appeared to be a player in the middle of pre-season today. On the bench again against Arsenal for sure.

chelboy   

It might sound weird but I think Bats needs to concentrate on not trying to score so much. Its like he always feels the need to move in a forward direction and shoot. He needs to play with the others around him and look up more. The second he gets the ball around the box he is always thinking of making a way to find space to shoot. Sometimes there are better options. His performances remind me of Sturridge when he was a bench player here, trying to do too much to impress and always thinking to shoot when near the box so they can get that goal that makes their performance seem better than it was. If Bats becomes more of a team player he will be useful.

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sure - lets just take the promise of the 16 year old, ignore his performances to date and poor loan last year, and on the basis of one game he becomes a PL ready player.  We can even assume that Conte chose to keep him ahead of Piazon, Abraham, Palmer, Boga, and about half a dozen better players who were packed off because they were behind him in the  pecking order.

Maybe I misunderstand you completely, but Musonda is 20 years old. 

3 hours ago, Galol said:

He IS good enough. Whether he'll rise to the occasion and fulfill his promise is another matter. 

Huh? Wouldn't that per definition mean he wasn't good enough? 

Holymoly   

You can only beat what is in front of you but I thought that the starting XI was surprisingly cohesive. I'm not sure Cahill walks back into the side at the moment as I feel there is at least one player ahead of him. Moses is probably still our right back based on all around play, similarly Morata at 9. Midfield cover is nicely deep now especially when Drinkwater is fit. Looking to the January window we may need to look for an additional AM/ST just to make sure but otherwise I'm far happier at our situation than I thought I would be mid way through August.

Roll on Sunday.

Just back from the match.

God help us if Morata is out for any reason.

Not signing Llorente or keeping Abrahams is criminal by the board.

Really want Bats to suceed and he is a good finisher but his overall play is shocking.

Ham   
7 minutes ago, Gormangorman said:

Just back from the match.

God help us if Morata is out for any reason.

Not signing Llorente or keeping Abrahams is criminal by the board.

Really want Bats to suceed and he is a good finisher but his overall play is shocking.

If Morata is injured then Hazard starts as a false number 9 from now on.

49 minutes ago, Ham said:

If Morata is injured then Hazard starts as a false number 9 from now on.

I really hope Morata is the real deal but pinning all our hopes on his form/fitness/talent when the only other option is Bats or playing a midfielder upfront is a complete joke.  We are defending champions and one of the world's biggest/richest clubs. How has this happened?

First game at the Bridge for me in about 5 years.  A good one.
Mind you Qarabag are poor - I reckon 4 goals is par against them.  Championship skills, but with the pace of League 2.  My expectation is that Forest next week will be a much tougher challenge.
By about 20 mins Kante realised that he could steal the ball off anyone who came within 10 yards of him.  And Willian repeatedly tried going past 3 players at once (all on the right hand side of course) as if it was a party trick.  As a result Qarabag started to triple mark Willian and didn't dare pass the ball to anyone within 20m of Kante.  It was an odd game.

It isn't possible to praise highly anyone from a game like that, but I will say I liked the look of Christensen, and for the first 30 mins Zappacosta (then the wondergoal, then got a bit carried away with himself but loved the first 30 mins - like Ivanovic's final game cameo).  Watch the wondergoal - about 30 times minimum.  And I hope no one ever suggests he didn't mean it.

And I guess Courtois gets an assist :)

Bats - by my calculations he has had 868 mins playing for us (less than 9 games worth) and scored 11 goals.  As we have said before it is ridiculous that a player can score so many and get picked so rarely.  The same conundrum today.
Great finisher - crap centre forward.  
The only thing I get out of this is that perhaps he is a guy to keep on the bench until 75 mins are up!

So in 2 games all the proper squad members have had at least one start (bar GK2&3, the injured Drinkwater, and the recovering soluble sub Hazard).  Only Moses hasn't had 90+ mins.  That is good then - about as much rotation as we can ask for with the squad.

A guy behind me said at 5-0 "and that Mourinho reckons we are defensive".  The next 30 passes (I kid you not, at least 30) were all between our back 3 and all in our own half.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:
9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sure - lets just take the promise of the 16 year old, ignore his performances to date and poor loan last year, ..........

Maybe I misunderstand you completely, but Musonda is 20 years old. 

Misunderstood.  The hype all comes from Musonda as a 15/16 year old, and it seems some people are still judging him on the early hype, not on anything he has done since.  Remember Uncle Harry talking about Musonda - he took Boga though.

Just now, NoblyBobly said:

I really hope Morata is the real deal but pinning all our hopes on his form/fitness/talent when the only other option is Bats or playing a midfielder upfront is a complete joke.  We are defending champions and one of the world's biggest/richest clubs. How has this happened?

Indeed - a disgrace and a grave insult to the 7 or 8 truly great players who lead our squad.  15/16 again.

xCELERYx   
3 hours ago, chelboy said:

It might sound weird but I think Bats needs to concentrate on not trying to score so much. Its like he always feels the need to move in a forward direction and shoot. He needs to play with the others around him and look up more. The second he gets the ball around the box he is always thinking of making a way to find space to shoot. Sometimes there are better options. His performances remind me of Sturridge when he was a bench player here, trying to do too much to impress and always thinking to shoot when near the box so they can get that goal that makes their performance seem better than it was. If Bats becomes more of a team player he will be useful.

What do you expect though? Naturally he's going to want to impress as much as he can. Personally, I think majority on here judge him extremely harshly because he's a different sort of striker. They expect things we've seen in others here when he's not the same sort of player. I thought his link play was fairly solid and he had some good combination play when ball was played to feet. His movement off the ball needs to improve the most, but I suppose some of that comes with time and games too. His strength is when he has space around him, as we saw when he took his goal with a very neat finish. He also makes good runs across the box when the ball in coming in from byline positions. The general service he was supplied with didn't exactly aid his cause either. We are a side that does seem to struggle in that department a lot. We expect a lot of our forwards to make their own chances and have done for years. 

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

I really hope Morata is the real deal

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure that he is..........:).

2 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

but pinning all our hopes on his form/fitness/talent when the only other option is Bats or playing a midfielder upfront is a complete joke. 

Imo,  Batshuayi is an excellent striker, and we don't really need to play a midfielder up front unless Conte wants to change the point of attack. All that Batshuayi needs are opportunities and goals - and in fairness, his strike rate is pretty impressive. Fantastic back-up to Morata, I'd have thought. Yes, I'd have liked for us to have snagged another striker/forward, but we didn't. And if it really does become an issue, then there's the Jan window to (hopefully) put that right.