• Current Donation Goals

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Feels like this year is about consolidating what we've got and to build for 2018-19. 

Certainly we once again have cleared the decks of any older players who were just making the numbers up.  After all who would want a 30 year old Ramires or Mikel around right now to add to the numbers or give a manager options he wouldn't use.

Trouble is if we wait a year then Cahill is 32, Pedro, Luiz and Fabregas are 31 and Willian is 30.

Knowing how this club works, how many of them are in their last year?  How many players do we need next year?

16 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Certainly we once again have cleared the decks of any older players who were just making the numbers up.  After all who would want a 30 year old Ramires or Mikel around right now to add to the numbers or give a manager options he wouldn't use.

Trouble is if we wait a year then Cahill is 32, Pedro, Luiz and Fabregas are 31 and Willian is 30.

Knowing how this club works, how many of them are in their last year?  How many players do we need next year?

That is some stark information.

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

That is some stark information.

They are young players for a squad of 24.  Ancient for a squad of 16.

Matic 30 next year too - dispatched quickly!
Man U have Carrick at 36, Ibrahimovic, and Valencia and Young at 32 (today).
City have Toure 34, Fernandinho 32, Company & Silva at 31 (now).

We really do have a very different squad model to other clubs.  It is a deliberate policy, not an accident.

Vinod   
14 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

They are young players for a squad of 24.  Ancient for a squad of 16.

Man U have Carrick at 36, Ibrahimovic, and Valencia and Young at 32 (today).
City have Toure 34, Fernandinho 32, Company & Silva at 31 (now).

We really do have a very different squad model to other clubs.  It is a deliberate policy, not an accident.

The board is also going through a learning curve. All things considered, I guess it's been a decent few years. In the last 5 years we have won a CL, a Europa League, 2 League titles. In the same period City have a couple of League titles and Utd have one league title. 

It is a strange balance that the club is attempting to maintain. Build asset value and win trophies. No wonder the managers are under immense pressure. However, the club did attempt to buy Llorente, admittedly on  a short contract that he was unwilling to sign. It does indicate some flexibility. 

Ham   
24 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not by your standards 😉

GURJ SS   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Centre back isn't a problem, we have enough quality at the club, including Zouma. Luiz will easily play for another 2-3 years at his level, Cahill on the other hand needs replacing now.

Cesc's style of play means he'll be able to play for a few more years yet.

Pedro and Willian on the bench? We could do a lot worse, I think we definitely need a top quality player to join Hazard and Morata in attack.

Tibo;

Azpi, Chris, Rudi;

Moses, Kante, Baka, Alonso;

?, Morata, Hazard;

Others: Zouma, Zappa, Drink, Musonda, Bats;

Older: Luiz, Cahill, Cesc, Pedro, Willian, 

When put down like that we haven't got a problem, if we hold on to the players we currently have(there's no reason to say we won't), anything we add is a bonus; if we get someone like Dybala, we will be boasting about how we've got the likes of Pedro and Willian on the bench.

Edited by GURJ SS

chelboy   
2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I dont want to come across as negative, but I have a hard time seeing how we are supposed to manage to end up above either Manchester clubs this season.

Their squads are on a different level to ours and above all - those teams score goals. We don't play attacking football like those two clubs. We focus on tight defense and counter attacks. We caught many by surprise last season. I don't think the element of surprise will save us this season. I predicted we'd finish third. I think that's about right. Probably gonna trail City and United by at least 10 points come end of season.

Feels like this year is about consolidating what we've got and to build for 2018-19. 

I think City have always played the best attacking football in the league for the past few seasons the only difference this year is that they are now playing with two strikers who are very deadly and talented. They are a lot more direct this year which makes them more of a threat. I always felt like they overplayed and relied on Aguero a bit too much especially when Toure started to decline. If they add Alexis to that squad I really do think they can score so many goals this season.

As for United I think they are pretty much the same as last season except for a striker who knows how to bully smaller teams and a holding player that protects them slightly more. I have watched them a few times but I do not think they play good attacking football. They are quite hard to break down.  

If Conte gets things right I believe we can play better attacking football than United but not sure about City. Against Everton and Leicester we played quite good football considering Hazard was not there too. The score margins should have been slightly bigger in both games. 

8 minutes ago, chelboy said:

I think City have always played the best attacking football in the league for the past few seasons the only difference this year is that they are now playing with two strikers who are very deadly and talented. They are a lot more direct this year which makes them more of a threat. I always felt like they overplayed and relied on Aguero a bit too much especially when Toure started to decline. If they add Alexis to that squad I really do think they can score so many goals this season.

As for United I think they are pretty much the same as last season except for a striker who knows how to bully smaller teams and a holding player that protects them slightly more. I have watched them a few times but I do not think they play good attacking football. They are quite hard to break down.  

If Conte gets things right I believe we can play better attacking football than United but not sure about City. Against Everton and Leicester we played quite good football considering Hazard was not there too. The score margins should have been slightly bigger in both games. 

United are basically Mourinho's Chelsea with a poor mans Drogba , a poor mans Lampard , a poor mans Essien  and poor mans Makelele they play typical Mourinho football , keep it tight and jump on the oppositions mistakes by wearing them down throughout the game.

City are practically Barca lite which is no surprise , everyone used to say the Barca defence was dodgy but you had to get the ball off them and retain it first.

GURJ SS   
13 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

United are basically Mourinho's Chelsea with a poor mans Drogba , a poor mans Lampard , a poor mans Essien  and poor mans Makelele they play typical Mourinho football , keep it tight and jump on the oppositions mistakes by wearing them down throughout the game.

City are practically Barca lite which is no surprise , everyone used to say the Barca defence was dodgy but you had to get the ball off them and retain it first.

I agree with all of that. But I'd add that Jose also knows his team is a pirate copy of the real thing, so he has put in extra physicality to dominate a physical league.