• Current Donation Goals

2 hours ago, kev61 said:

The arsenal debacle(and it was)hopefully was a blip,however what I witnessed was a team with no skill no cohesion and the fluency of treacle.

OK Kev, that's Arsenal taken are of - what did you think about the way we played?

:).

kev61   
24 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

OK Kev, that's Arsenal taken are of - what did you think about the way we played?

:).

Very droll Michael.I Apologise,I get this sinking feeling when we play like Mourhino's 'master plan'.It is nothing more than the jitters and a caring attitude😊

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, kev61 said:

"352" is not going to solve the problem or any other formation.our inability to do the basiics right is the elephant in the room.If, as you say basics have nothing to do with the training ground then I think it will be hard to reach common ground.The training ground is EXACTLY where you start.

If a player cannot do the basics right get rid of him.Mikel for me was the perfect example IMO.The arsenal debacle(and it was)hopefully was a blip,however what I witnessed was a team with no skill no cohesion and the fluency of treacle.I also know we are building and I have faith in Conte - but we looked as bad as anytime under Mourhino.

I didn't say the basics don't have a place on the training ground, they just aren't the focus because most players should already have that fairly covered/aren't going to develop further. Training tends to focus on the upcoming game - including overall game plan, studying the opposition, tactical aspects, things that weren't executed corrected previously or things we can do to exploit an advantage, set pieces, etc.

And Conte has clearly developed the side further because we're now a well drilled tactical team. This is important because collectively we suffer if we cannot adhere to the plan of the manager. 

Naturally player execution on the pitch is important to gain a result, however that's a lot harder to influence because of the array of variables on the day - including the limitations of the players themselves. Certain players certainly need to improve, but have shown they can achieve good things long term. 

Ultimately, this is one game. We weren't terrible, nor were we great. The result wasn't ideal, although not a disaster. It shows we still need to improve as a team. I'm not going to hang my hat on one result or game, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

We weren't terrible, nor were we great. The result wasn't ideal, although not a disaster. It shows we still need to improve as a team.

Sums it up perfectly, imo.

paulw66   
14 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Nah . Arsenal famously don't give contracts to players over 31 and despite them never winning anything we've decided that was a great idea and now as demonstrated by Droy and Dave above we have , Luiz , Pedro , Fabregas et al fast approaching that milestone  and no indication whatsoever that the board are going to put their hands in their pockets , we're absolutely fine now but it appears to be a house of cards ready to fall at any time .

I see.........personally, I don't see that philosphy as what has cost Arsenal trophies. I don't think we or they have lost any important players (yet) due to a 30+ player demanding a longer deal. It also makes common sense not to get a 30+ player tied into a long time lucrative contract. 

That said, I hope we keep all of those above players for the foreseeable as they are all in good shape fitness wise and still have a lot to offer. 

I'm surprised at the level if negativity, whilst we were not great we really were not that bad. Other than a spell in the first half we completely dominated then and controlled the game.

It can be hard to score against a top 6 Prem team when they come with zero intention of winning the game. It's taken 20 odd years but Wenger finally has realised how to play away from home against better opposition. 

Bakayoko is an absolute beast of a player. I said before we signed him how good he would be for us, seeing him in the flesh it just reiterates it. He will become the best all round midfielder on the planet. 

Just think we got Kante AND Bakayoko for less money than Paul Pogba.

Sciatika   

Luiz, Pedro, Cesc and Cahill all have contracts that last until 2019 (that is two years). All will be 32 except GC who will be 34. The only contracts expring earlier are GKs. I would imagine, with Zouma coming back (and later, hopefully, Ampadu) we will be well covered for defenders even if GC and Luiz leaves. I think GC will go but I would not be surprised if Luiz gets an extension as his game does not rely on his pace. I also expect we will give Cesc an extension or two if he is still playing at the same level. Pedro strikes me as a player who might drop off as pace is important to him, so he might be allowed to go. However, we hope to see the likes of Boga, Musonda (and, later, we also have Sterling, Castillo, et al) so we might be quite well covered there. 2020 is a bigger year in contract terms with players like Hazard, Christensen, Azpi and Willian.

Edited by Sciatika

^ I don't think having a contract has stopped the club squeezing players out before.  Malouda had a contract.  Mikel and Costa had contracts.  They were just ignored.
I think the real issue here is that if you make 12 players play 90% of all games and ignore the others, there is just no place for an over 30 yo who would be great for 40 games but few can manage 60.

57 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

However, we hope to see the likes of Boga, Musonda (and, later, we also have Sterling, Castillo, et al)

I think it is clear that if Boga and Musonda were seen as the future, they'd be first on loan and not last and at the club.
Abraham probably, Palmer & RLC possibly, while Sterling and Castillo are still early in the pipeline.

It is funny how when a player is put on our bench the PR department release a brief description for the press and everyone things that he is the next big thing.  But a player goes on loan to a PL club and is being picked and no one notices.  We have 5 loans to the PL, 1 long term injured, 3 get picked regularly, and a fourth does when fit.