• Current Donation Goals

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our  Premier League match against Stoke City at bet365 Stadium, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 15:00, Saturday, 23rd September, 2017 (Local UK time/date).

3-4-3: Courtois; Azpilicueta(C), Christensen, Rüdiger; Moses, Kanté, Bakayoko, Alonso; Willian, Morata, Hazard

Subs: Caballero, Cahill, Zappacosta, Fabregas, Pedro, Musonda Jr., Batshuayi

Zoowraa   

I'd be looking down the 352 route for this type of game, I think it gives us more options to change things around if required, whilst also fits in Kante,Bakayoko and Cesc.

I can't see Hazard starting after playing last night, think we are looking towards Atletico/City with him. Although Stoke not as big as they were, I would still favour three bigger CB's for this game , so Moses to miss out with Azpi at RWB.

Dominate the midfield, allow Kante/Bakayoko to use their running power at times and try to free us some space for Cesc to play.

Courtois

Cahill , Christensen , Rudiger

Azpilicueta , Kante , Fabregas , Bakayoko, Alonso

Willian/Pedro (either or)

Morata

I think Conte has a big call in this game, does he stick with his Captain or does he pick the in form Rudiger who has really impressed so far. Personally I'd go with Rudiger, however I think Conte may stick with Cahill as he'll want the leadership through this run of games. So I expect to see:

Courtois

Azpilicueta  Christensen  Cahill

Moses  Kante  Bakayoko  Alonso

Willian  Morata  Hazard

Subs; Caballero, Rudiger, Zappacosta, Fabregas, Pedro, Musonda, Batshuayi 

bluehorn   

The fixture last year has always stuck in my mind as a stark example of the nonsense spouted by mangers, in this case Mark Hughes. 

We had 64% possession, 20 shots to their 5, 7 on target to their 1 (a penalty). The penalty itself was pathetically soft, Cahill placing a hand on Walters was enough to send the big man hurtling to the ground. In a nutshell we dominated. Hughes after the game "we were unfortunate not to get anything" What?! And that the reaction of our fans and team was testament to how pleased we were to "get something" out of the game. I remember laughing as I watched the interview. It is in those situations I wish there were a third party during these interviews, "Mr Accountable" would be his name. His role would be to intervene when managers have the audacity to say they were unlucky in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and grill them on it. 

As MBIB states, Conte has a telling call to make regarding his choice at the back. In the absence of Luiz, does he revert to form or experience? Azpi Chris & Rudiger would be my call, it would be a huge shot in the arm for Christensen to get the nod in this fixture, I think he's more than up to the task. 

Perhaps the biggest test will be keeping 11 men on the field. Do that, and we should run out comfortable winners. 

paulw66   
34 minutes ago, bluehorn said:

Perhaps the biggest test will be keeping 11 men on the field. Do that, and we should run out comfortable winners. 

Of course, absurdly, bearing in mind the way they play, we are far more likely to get a red than they are. 

Sea foot   

Mike dean is the ref. Won't be putting any money on us finishing with 11 with him at the helm.

bluehorn   
43 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Of course, absurdly, bearing in mind the way they play, we are far more likely to get a red than they are. 

31 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Mike dean is the ref. Won't be putting any money on us finishing with 11 with him at the helm.

William Hill shows odds for over 6 cards to be shown in the game at 5/1 and Erik Pieters (their left back) and Rudiger to both be carded at 11/1. The latter in particular looks good value, given Rudiger's record of yellows picked up last year. 

Edited by bluehorn

34 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

His MO. is to do nothing in the game and then include something spurious in his game report , leading to a retrospective red card for something that had he seen at the time he'd have sent the player off for. That's how the PGMOL weasel out of responsibility.

jones   

Cahill vs Rudiger, big call for Conte but think he will go with experience considering the opposition.

Fabregas vs Bakayoko, if Hazard does not start I feel pretty certain Cesc will start. Whether that is at the expense of Baka or Pedro, is hard to say. Think we need the presence of Baka on this, and Pedro has not been his usual self so far this season.

Hazard to get at least 30 mins as a sub, and then for sure start against Atletico.