• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Atletico Madrid 1 Chelsea 2

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Champions League match against Atletico Madrid at Wanda Metropolitano, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 19:45, Wednesday, 27th September, 2017.

I would leave christenson and rudiger in the line up

Courtois

Dave     Christenson     Rudiger

Moses  Kante   Luiz   Fab      Alonso

Hazard

Morata

Not sure how Conte should deal with the defensive situation that we have right now.

Azpi - Luiz - Cahill

is the strongest constellation on paper and is also the more experienced one. But I'm starting to think that the best one is actually;

Azpi - Christensen - Rudiger

I can't see one single reason to why Cahill should ever start ahead of Rudiger as long as Antonio is fully fit. Seems to me it was a mistake to give the captaincy to Gary. Should have been Azpi... I think it's a pretty close call between Luiz and Christensen although I'm positive Christensen will become better than Luiz as he ages and gain more experience. 

My team for this one, would be;

Courtois; Azpilicueta, Luiz, Rudiger; Moses, Kante, Bakayoko, Alonso; Willian, Morata, Hazard

Caballero, Christensen, Zappacosta, Fabregas, Pedro, Musonda, Bats

Rob B   

Because of his PL ban, Luiz will definitely plan in this match, the question is whether it’s at CB or in midfield a la Spurs away.

I like Don Antonio’s team above if I’m honest.  

• Like 1

Regardless of the side picked I hope we piss all over their new stadium celebration if nothing else than to stick it them for their part in the Costa fiasco where he was wined and dined by their manager months before they could be bothered to actually stump up the money.

Rudiger over Cahill all day long , Cahills cameo against Stoke was the tin hat on it for me.

Atleti are an aggressive side and we are going to need to do a better job than we did against Stoke with respect to making use of possession. I would start Cesc for this one.. This is going to be a massive test to determine how ready we are to compete with one of the best cup sides in Europe.

1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Atleti are an aggressive side and we are going to need to do a better job than we did against Stoke with respect to making use of possession. I would start Cesc for this one.. This is going to be a massive test to determine how ready we are to compete with one of the best cup sides in Europe.

I agree we need to start with Cesc... but given how physical AM can be, he cannot be partnered with only one other central midfielder, hence my team for this one, would be;

Courtois;    Azpilicueta, Luiz, Rudiger;    Moses, Kante, Fabregas, Bakayoko, Alonso;    Hazard, Morata

Caballero, Cahill, Christensen, Zappacosta, Pedro, Willian, Batshuayi

jones   

Would surprise me if Conte does not use his squad over these three games. For me, this has back to basic written all over it. Luiz and Cahill back in, and perhaps a start for Zappacosta to continue the tinkering at RWB. Such a shame we can't do the same on the other side.

Courtois

Azpi, Luiz, Cahill

Zappacosta, Kanté, Bakayoko, Alonso

Pedro, Morata, Hazard

Which means only 6 outfield players started at the weekend, and we can also make five more changes for the next tough fixture against City:

Courtois

Azpi, Christensen, Rüdiger

Moses, Kanté, Fabregas, Alonso

Willian, Morata, Hazard

Our squad gives us this type of luxury we did not have last season. Only problem as I see it is our only LWB option is Alonso. Imagine what we could have been with Alex Sandro there too.

19 minutes ago, jones said:

Would surprise me if Conte does not use his squad over these three games.

Maybe, but I doubt it.  This is a squad to cover the odd emergency, not a squad designed to encourage rotation.  The big games (not LC, FAC or Qarabag) will always get his best available squad.  It may be that still in September Conte is still making his mind up about who is the best choice, but that will be decided in the next 3 games.

Last season, some big names got pretty much dropped and we went with 13 players from October, and for long periods Matic, Willian and then Fabregas & Pedro were preferred. 
Bakayoko for Matic, Morata for Costa and it will be the same this season until injuries.  Just possibly Zappacosta for Moses.

kev61   

What a difference a good win means.After the Arsenal game I thought we were easy pickings.After the Stoke game I expect us to get a draw at least.I am looking forward to the Athletico game.The truth is if we look poor against them we can forget about european glory.