• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 0 Manchester City 1

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Manchester City at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 17:30, Saturday, 30th September, 2017 (Local UK time/date).

Only three days rest for this one while City get four days and played their game at home. 

We on the other hand have to travel back from Madrid tonight so really we can realistically only have a light session Friday. I simply can't believe why the Premier League doesn't do their outmost to move games for the teams competing in Europe. 

Its just plain idiotic and grossly unfair. 

Given this, I'm not sure how we will start. But I'll give it a go. 

Considering both Pedro and Willian started on the bench, at least a one of them should be in scope to start. The other rotation options we have/are forced to is Christensen for Luiz, Rudiger for Cahill/Azpi, Willian/Pedro for Fabregas. 

Thats basically it... we could certainly have used another 2-3 players. 

I reckon we'll start like this 3-4-2-1:

Courtois; Azpilicueta (C), Christensen, Rudiger; Moses, Kante, Bakayoko, Alonso; Pedro, HazardMorata

The most likely alternative is 3-5-2:

Courtois; Azpilicueta, Christensen, Rudiger; Moses, Bakayoko, Fabregas, Kante, Alonso; Hazard, Morata

It would be harsh for Rudiger to not start this one considering the form he's in. 

I really don't expect much from us here. Not because I don't think we are good. But because we have virtually no real possibility to properly prepare for this one out on the pitch. City will at least have time for a light session and two proper ones before the game. 

Big difference. 

I'm hoping for us to not lose this one. 

Edit: the players in bold started tonight's game. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave

If it were later in the season I would say fatigue would be an issue, but really I think the 11 who started last night should be more than able to carry through to this one. Thats our best 11 IMO and we need to fire on all cylinders to top City. 

xCELERYx   
35 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

If it were later in the season I would say fatigue would be an issue, but really I think the 11 who started last night should be more than able to carry through to this one. Thats our best 11 IMO and we need to fire on all cylinders to top City. 

I tend to agree with this. I think the only one who could be excluded from this is Hazard, purely because of his return from injury and not quite having that peak fitness level. The rest though should be fine to back it from the start. Then, we can utilise the bench later on as required.

There has to be a temptation to play 352 again. Overwhelm City in midfield and limit their attack a little more.

Sciatika   

Your never tired when you're winning, hopefully :-) Would like to see the same kind of formation and play as against AM but with Christensen in for Luiz.

Vinod   
1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

There has to be a temptation to play 352 again. Overwhelm City in midfield and limit their attack a little more.

Would not surprise me to see this formation against Liverpool as well. 

I can see why some argue we should utilise the 352 to control the territory in the middle of the park and give ourselves a better chance to stop David Silva and De Bruyne. 

Most likely City will play their usual 4141/433 depending on how you see it. I don't think they'll try to match our formation with a back three as the base. Pep seems more concerned about playing the same style regardless of the opponent instead of trying to set his team up to have the biggest chance of taking advantage of the opponents weaknesses. 

If they do play the normal 4141;

Ederson; Walker, Stones, Otamendi, Mendy; Fernandinho; Sterling, Silva, De Bruyne, Sane; Aguero 

There will potentially be plenty of space to utilise on the wings for us as both Walker and Mendy are quite attacking and not the best from a defensive perspective. 

I'd be tempted to control the game with tactical awareness and patience and focus on quick transitions/counter-attacks and use the space City are likely to conceed. I reckon we are less able to do that if we play the 352 as it will require us to control the possession to a higher degree... 

Will be very interesting to see how Conte chooses to set the team for this one. 

Zoowraa   
7 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I can see why some argue we should utilise the 352 to control the territory in the middle of the park and give ourselves a better chance to stop David Silva and De Bruyne. 

Most likely City will play their usual 4141/433 depending on how you see it. I don't think they'll try to match our formation with a back three as the base. Pep seems more concerned about playing the same style regardless of the opponent instead of trying to set his team up to have the biggest chance of taking advantage of the opponents weaknesses. 

If they do play the normal 4141;

Ederson; Walker, Stones, Otamendi, Mendy; Fernandinho; Sterling, Silva, De Bruyne, Sane; Aguero 

There will potentially be plenty of space to utilise on the wings for us as both Walker and Mendy are quite attacking and not the best from a defensive perspective. 

I'd be tempted to control the game with tactical awareness and patience and focus on quick transitions/counter-attacks and use the space City are likely to conceed. I reckon we are less able to do that if we play the 352 as it will require us to control the possession to a higher degree... 

Will be very interesting to see how Conte chooses to set the team for this one. 

At least that is one danger we wont have to worry about. He could have pinned Moses back with his running power and delivery from wide. The good news (for us) is it sounds like he is out for a good while !