• Current Donation Goals

Holymoly

World Cup 2018

16 hours ago, blueandproud said:

I don't rate this Sweden team one bit, they're certainly not a patch on the Euro 92 or USA 94 teams, which were miles better.  This Sweden side plays like a Sam Allardyce side, negative tactics and downright bloody boring to watch.  England should beat them, but even if Sweden win, Brazil or Belgium will destroy them in the semis.

The winner in the Sweden-England game will play the winner of Croatia/Russia in the semis.

Brazil/Belgium/France/Uruguay can first be faced in a potential final.

Having been born slightly before '66, this is the first time I've been excited about our chances of winning. In the past, even after a win, there is a "Yeh, but........", knowing full well, that disaster looms ahead.

We have a squad of players that are willing to play as a team. No sitting on separate tables at meal times ( Man Utd players on one, Arsenal on another etc ). And Southgate, having been a player for England, is using his knowledge to take us forward.

And please don't give me the "But we haven't played anyone decent yet". You play what's in front of you, winner takes all and ends up with the trophy.

As a side note, Fellaini is by far my least favourite EPL player, but I hope and pray that he sticks Neymar into row Z.

• Like 1

Sciatika   

I was thinking about 1966 a couple of days ago (prompted by that stuff where someone nicked the trophy which I had forgotten about). The final was two days before my seventh birthday. and the world was a very different place. Where I lived it was common not to have a TV. There were a fair few that rented one from the "Granada" but TVs were very expensive devices. At that time, people followed the World Cup on radio and, believe it or not, the papers. Of course, there were the matches played at Wembley and  Goodison Park, Old Trafford and Ayresome Park (Boro's old ground). There may have been others. Noone I knew went to a game. This was in the days of terraces and seas of people swaying like fields of wheat and then moving en masse in exactly the way that wheat does not. I remember Argentina and Uruguay because they were branded as "animals" and Eusebio seemed to beat the surprise package North Korea on his own, but not because I witnessed it but from the newspaper and radio reports. I sometimes wonder if it was more exciting that way. Anyway, I did get to see the final. We went to the house of one of my Dad's mates on the shop floor and we sat on the floor of his living room watching it. It was one of those big old B&W TVs with a wiggly like that repeatedly crossed the screen from left to right and, for a boy of nearly seven, it was magical. I think it may be the first football game I ever watched on TV (and I don't think I was unique). We did not have scarves and nobody had replica shirts - they were not really known then. I had to knit my own football scarf and I certainly wasn't going to do that for an England game. Anyway, the "Mums" served a lot of tea during the game and, at half-time, we had a sandwich. It was probably fish paste spread about as thinly as was humanly possible without sophisticated machinery. After the game, we went out the back and had a bit of a kick about with jumpers for posts.

Edited by Sciatika

I see France are wearing white shirts with a chicken on the crest , well, they won't be winning anything then.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I see France are wearing white shirts with a chicken on the crest , well, they won't be winning anything then.

2-0 up... and it's a cockerel, not a chicken 😉

Jasonb   

I was born in July 66, think we will beat Sweden though not sure how.

I'm expecting Southgate to change personnel or tactics against the Swedes.

The Swedes remind me of Burnley, not expected to win anything yet if you don't' turn up and work, you will be on the wrong end of the result.

Allison Becker ? We'd be better off with Alison Steadman.

Ham   

Brazil "fans" are the WC equivalent of dippers.  A couple of thousand of them sang "Brasilia" for 10 seconds and Jonathan Pearce said "the support for Brazil is amazing".  Not a peep from them for 50 minutes. 

The emperor's new clothes.

36 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Allison Becker ? We'd be better off with Alison Steadman.

Tibo deGaulle-Kuiper has had a good game so far