• Current Donation Goals

Holymoly

World Cup 2018

11 minutes ago, Don Keebles said:

Sorry, but Stirling is still another SWP.

As for Russia, maybe playing at home is having a Denmark ( Euro '92 ) effect. 

Euro 92 was in Sweden

Sciatika   
29 minutes ago, Don Keebles said:

Sorry, but Stirling is still another SWP.

As for Russia, maybe playing at home is having a Denmark ( Euro '92 ) effect. 

2002 South Korea got to Semis at home.

Ham   
29 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Euro 92 was in Sweden

And Denmark weren't even supposed to be there..... 

24 minutes ago, Ham said:

And Denmark weren't even supposed to be there..... 

Indeed... last minute replacements for war-torn Yugoslavia (as it then was)

chara   

Well, have to agree with most about the game..I wish I could find out every two horse race or two man race of any kind Sterling bets on..make a fortune betting against his choice! But he does keep the oppos working ...

Sweden like IKEA all function with no appeal and giving no urge to take home. I believe Modric will be the difference in the semi although I hope England get through of course.

Strange WC,,keeping hearing its the best ever guess I must be watching the wrong games..wait... only missed two games...lot of drama but little exciting football..all hard work and organization.

I likened the England/Sweden game to a mid table Wednesday night game between Burnley/Stoke.

I was at Wembley for the '66 quarterfinal...so maybe a bit jaundiced although you still have to beat whats in front of you..Onward

kev61   

Well done to the English boys I had a feeling they would do well before the finals started.Southgate seems to have instilled a togetherness among the team.Sweden were terrible and their collective age and the heat probably caught up with them.

The tournament has been exciting but lacking quality imo - technical ability has been shocking at times,that prevails in the modern game - anyway good luck to England against Croatia.

Sciatika   

Not been the highest quality tournament this time but it has been more competitive and you can only beat what's in front of you. At the outset, I would have placed England in the top 16 but certainly not the top 8.  It's not a great England side compared to the one from the 90s (the 66 side was both lucky and at home). They have played above themselves even if the calibre of the players is less than we have had in recent years. At least they play as a team unlike the "Golden Generation". I note that the papers have not continuously reported splits in the camp, undermined the manager at every opportunity and spent hours analysing the weakness of individuals. I expect it made a difference. Anyway, Croatia now. Once you get to the knockout phase anything can happen.

Jasonb   

Southgate's England have been effective and tactically clever.

Croatia is a step up-in opponent yet in the knockout stages twice they have needed penalties and extra-time. 

They have some older players though of course they are technically gifted.

This is likely to be a fascinating encounter, not sure yet think we will win.

Tactical point from yesterday, I was incredibly frustrated real-time by Trippier and Walker playing ping pong with the ball on the edge of the Swedish penalty area until it becomes clear the plan was not to cross towards the tall Swedish defenders yet pull them out of position or win corners.

Dingus   

Biggest load of negative Nancy's I've ever seen.

How about you join the rest of the nation and support the team, enjoy this moment as opposed to knocking them at every stage like you've done ffs.

Sciatika   

What's the point of football if we aren't allowed to moan about it?