• Current Donation Goals

Holymoly

World Cup 2018

Jasonb   

Fascinating match in prospect to night. I see France as the victors think they will just have too much for Belgium and a stronger midfield to minimise Belgium's counter attack.

Of course Hazard and De Bruyne especially are capable of sublime game changing moments so it should be a good one to watch.

I think Madrid will be going all out for Mbappe after tonight . Eden was a peripheral figure , Courtois excellent again. Feel sorry for Eden now.

Sciatika   

Is it me or does de Bruyne keep losing the ball unnecessarily and making poor decisions?

chara   
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:24 AM, Sciatika said:

Not been the highest quality tournament this time but it has been more competitive and you can only beat what's in front of you. At the outset, I would have placed England in the top 16 but certainly not the top 8.  It's not a great England side compared to the one from the 90s (the 66 side was both lucky and at home). They have played above themselves even if the calibre of the players is less than we have had in recent years. At least they play as a team unlike the "Golden Generation". I note that the papers have not continuously reported splits in the camp, undermined the manager at every opportunity and spent hours analysing the weakness of individuals. I expect it made a difference. Anyway, Croatia now. Once you get to the knockout phase anything can happen.

Yeah,,the 66 side was lucky..lucky to have three World class players..Moore Banks and Charlton..and Ray Wilson IMO...concede the home advantage but Argentina in the quarterfinal and Portugal in the semi.then W Germany in the final..yeah that was luck!!!

Sorry...agree with rest of the post but I was at both the QF and the Semi..long time ago I know...and couldn't let it go!!

Side note..went to all the England 66 games except the Final..wanted to go up to Wembley..lived in Kingsbury so no big deal, and try to get tickets outside...my mate argued that if we couldn't get tickets we would miss most of the game so we stayed at home and watched on tv..by all accounts we would have got tickets if we had tried..but..anyway went to the team hotel..Hendon Hall and greeted the side including Jack Charlton and his potty!!!

Of course I am with this England side but how many would have made the 66 squad..not instead of anyone but just good enough?

If they make the Final hope they play in Red.....

Sciatika   

I wasn't meaning to denigrate them. I am not sure any of the current squad would have made the squad in 1966 (allowing for general improvements in fitness and that). Kane for Hunt, maybe? But we have to remember we had Jimmy Greaves as a backup. I'll repeat that...Jimmy Greaves, at his peak, as a backup! I was reflecting that we had some stuff go our way in the course of the competition, such as Rattin being sent off, the dodgy goal in the final and we scored very few goals in the finals as a whole. Lots of 1-0 wins. Also, this World Cup had the likes of Pele, Eusebio, Beckenbauer and Seeler.

Leo91   

Wasn't the semi final moved to Wembley at the last minute ? Portugal had to move camp from Liverpool to London.

Close game. France deserved it though. 

Hazard, Kante and Courtois were terrific. Should be doing everything we can to keep them.

Giroud not so much.

chara   
1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I wasn't meaning to denigrate them. I am not sure any of the current squad would have made the squad in 1966 (allowing for general improvements in fitness and that). Kane for Hunt, maybe? But we have to remember we had Jimmy Greaves as a backup. I'll repeat that...Jimmy Greaves, at his peak, as a backup! I was reflecting that we had some stuff go our way in the course of the competition, such as Rattin being sent off, the dodgy goal in the final and we scored very few goals in the finals as a whole. Lots of 1-0 wins. Also, this World Cup had the likes of Pele, Eusebio, Beckenbauer and Seeler.

Apologies … I realise it might have sounded as if I was having a go at you..far from it...agreed with the spirit of your posts and pleased you cared enough to clarify a few things..Thanks

Oh and I am still ashamed that I was part of the booing of Hunt..the Greaves factor partly to blame....I was wrong as we all were...

59 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Wasn't the semi final moved to Wembley at the last minute ? Portugal had to move camp from Liverpool to London.

Without checking back I think you are right..seem to remember I was pleased at a change because my mate and I had tickets for whatever semi was at Wembley..bought block of tickets before WC started....

No apologies for looking back but I don't "live" there and look forward to tomorrows game....

11 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think Madrid will be going all out for Mbappe after tonight . Eden was a peripheral figure , Courtois excellent again. Feel sorry for Eden now.

I thought Eden was quite good. It was a more mature performance from him, where he lead the team and tried to take responsibility. It was KDB and Lukaku that let them down massively.  

11 hours ago, Sciatika said:

Is it me or does de Bruyne keep losing the ball unnecessarily and making poor decisions?

KDB has had a dreadful World Cup.

He has never looked like a player that you build a side around. He's the type of player that needs a team around him to be effective. At City he can do what ever he wants. For Belgium he needs to adhere to the team structure. Immediately his effectiveness goes down. He is rarely very good for Belgium imo. 

Jasonb   

Deschamps was tactically very astute yesterday, two banks of four in front of Belgium's attackers and Griezmann helping out in midfield too.

Every Belgium forward appeared to have two man to get past and only Hazard could do this.

Belgium were missing their only wide back Meunier through suspension.

For me, Hazard and Courtois leave with their reputations enhanced.