• Current Donation Goals

Holymoly

World Cup 2018

12 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I'm hoping and expecting RLC to have a great WC. To be fair he's never going to get past Bakayoko into our first team so fingers crossed Palace make us an offer of 20 mill . Maria will snap their hands off so happy days!

I hate to bring big Toni into this again but remember the quote attributed to him that if he picked players on how they performed in training RLC would be the first name on the team sheet ?

The inference was that he was too scared for his job to take a gamble on an unproven youngster , which has been the story of Roman's Chelsea really.

8 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I've no doubt we will either sell him or loan him out to someone like Burnley to 'learn his trade'. 

Just a question that I'm not sure I know the answer to, but is their ANY other England player who getting picked for the first team (or on that cusp) that is on loan to another team from their domestic club? Only at Chelsea I suspect.

Joe Hart was pretty close to the squad I guess.  
35 starts in all competitions and 5 caps must be something of a record too.  (Ampadu has 2 caps, but he is a 17 year old playing for Wales - a bit different to an English 22 year old.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I hate to bring big Toni into this again but remember the quote attributed to him that if he picked players on how they performed in training RLC would be the first name on the team sheet ?

The inference was that he was too scared for his job to take a gamble on an unproven youngster , which has been the story of Roman's Chelsea really.

Hardly Conte's fault that his team was winning the PL while RLC was warming the bench.  Hardly any manager's fault for looking at short term results during 2013-17.  And RLC when he has played for Chelsea has rarely looked the part.

Moreover RLC clearly has some issues to go with the talent, otherwise he'd have been farmed out long ago, like our other best prospects.

My inference is just that Conte thinks he needs to hear praise.

10 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Did he actually say that? So he looked great in training with great attitude but Conte never gave him a run in the first team to see if he could duplicate that form . We then have to leave it to Southgate to prove we have a decent player. We are not even paying Southgate 9 mill a year but he's doing Conte's job for him.....or maybe it's the move to Palace that has elevated his game. 

3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

35 starts in all competitions and 5 caps must be something of a record too.  (Ampadu has 2 caps, but he is a 17 year old playing for Wales - a bit different to an English 22 year old.

So currently the answer is no then. I'm not entirely surprised.

9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Hardly Conte's fault that his team was winning the PL while RLC was warming the bench.  Hardly any manager's fault for looking at short term results during 2013-17.  And RLC when he has played for Chelsea has rarely looked the part.

Moreover RLC clearly has some issues to go with the talent, otherwise he'd have been farmed out long ago, like our other best prospects.

My inference is just that Conte thinks he needs to hear praise.

When was that then under Conte?

My inference was that he needed games and as an English lad from the academy he deserved them more than Bakayoko did,  and the fact that he's English is not an irrelevance IMO.  I would also add that he appears not to need excessive  praise. I think he has a swagger about him and an inner confidence that is very rare. He came on as a sub in the WC finals in a vital game at a vital point and strolled it. I don't think he is the sort of player that needs an 'arm around his shoulder.'  

3 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

When was that then under Conte?

My inference was that he needed games and as an English lad from the academy he deserved them more than Bakayoko did,  and the fact that he's English is not an irrelevance IMO.

??  RLC was on loan last season, he couldn't have played instead of Baka.  

Being English is irrelevant to me.

5 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I don't think he is the sort of player that needs an 'arm around his shoulder.'  

So why wasn't he sent on loan 2 or 3 years earlier like our other best youngsters?  And don't you find it odd he was then sent so close to home?  It has never been club policy to keep the best youngsters at Cobham, we have always preferred to send them off on loan for match experience.  Quite right too.

38 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Did he actually say that? So he looked great in training with great attitude but Conte never gave him a run in the first team to see if he could duplicate that form . We then have to leave it to Southgate to prove we have a decent player. We are not even paying Southgate 9 mill a year but he's doing Conte's job for him.....or maybe it's the move to Palace that has elevated his game. 

Yes he did say that, however , I think he was trying to demonstrate the pressure Chelsea managers are under given the trigger happy nature of the owner.

Sea foot   
11 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

So why wasn't he sent on loan 2 or 3 years earlier like our other best youngsters?  And don't you find it odd he was then sent so close to home?  It has never been club policy to keep the best youngsters at Cobham, we have always preferred to send them off on loan for match experience.  Quite right too.

What that shows to me is that the club has a mature loan policy, one that looks to the need of each youngster rather than a blanket "when you reach x age, you go out whatever" approach. If they thought that keeping him for a couple of years then a local loan out was the best for the lad then why try to look for some sinister side to that?

Just my look at it you understand.

12 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

RLC was on loan last season, he couldn't have played instead of Baka.  

My point exactly

13 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Being English is irrelevant to me.

Having an English core of 2/ 3 quality players is exactly what this team is missing . Spurs managed it, City managed it, United managed it and Liverpool managed it.  We apparently can't . Oh and a quick check of the Prem table will tell you how that worked out this year.  We have Cahill, who is getting past it and can no longer command a first team place. I also think that feeling a national allegiance to at least some of your team is vital for fans and important in the dressing room. We are an English club and we also have to answer to the home grown player quotas. Here's my benefit of hindsight moment.....if we had bought Vardy instead of Morata and played RLC instead of playing Bakayoko, we would now be playing CL football next year.   

22 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

So why wasn't he sent on loan 2 or 3 years earlier like our other best youngsters?  And don't you find it odd he was then sent so close to home? 

I find it about as odd as Christenson going to Germany....not at all.  And apart from Christenson,  when have the dozens of recent loans (last 5 years say) really worked out for us as a club and not just benefited someone else?

23 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

What that shows to me is that the club has a mature loan policy, one that looks to the need of each youngster rather than a blanket "when you reach x age, you go out whatever" approach. If they thought that keeping him for a couple of years then a local loan out was the best for the lad then why try to look for some sinister side to that?

Just my look at it you understand.

Hardly sinister.  I agree, if a player is kept back it is to do with maturity in some way.  If a player is sent abroad or up north, it probably suggests more confidence in his ability to cope.  So a player talked about as much as RLC, sent all the way to Palace at 21 (the age most kids are completeing University),  does suggest something.  
All I am suggesting is that he is like a lot of players - who "needs an 'arm around his shoulder.'  "