• Current Donation Goals

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our EFL Cup 4th Round match against Everton at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 19:45, Wednesday, 25th October, 2017 (Local UK time/date).

Rob B   

Interested to see the team for this one. I think almost everyone needs a rest and would therefore like to see something like:

Courtois;  JCS, Christensen, Rudiger;  Kennedy, Drinkwater, Ampadu, Zappa;  Musonda, Michy, WIllian 

Only senior players to start the game would be the likes of AC, Rudi and Zappa who aren’t shot to pieces. Drinkwater might not be ready, but I’d give him an hour even if he’s only partially fully fit. 

Cesc, Baka, Alonso, Morata, Luiz and Azpi will hopefully be nowhere near this. 

I want a win, but in terms of priorities this competition is obviously the lowest and will need to be treated as such, we have so many players in desperate need of a rest... Azpi, Luiz, Alonso, Fabregas, Bakayoko, Hazard and Morata, therefore I hope we see:

Caballero

Rudiger
Christensen
Cahill

Zappacosta
Ampadu
Scott
Kenedy

Pedro
Batshuayi
Musonda Jr.

Subs: Eduardo, Clarke-Salter, Fabregas, Willian, Morata +2 youth team

Everton should be treating this game as an opportunity to bring a bit of positivity and as we're going to be resting so many, I think we'll struggle to win... lets just avoid extra time!

Edited by My Blood Is Blue

jones   

Definitely agree that Bournemouth on Saturday is what Conte should consider when picking his XI on Wednesday. But a midfield of Scott and Ampadu is the same as surrendering before the game has even started. One of them, maybe, with a more experienced player. The following line-up would allow us to rest 8 of the 11 players who should start at Bournemouth, and the three who starts both matches (bold) are all new signings and in need of experience at this level:

Caballero

Rudiger
Christensen
Cahill

Zappa
Bakayoko

Ampadu (if Drinkwater is fit - he is apparently back in full training - he starts)
Kenedy

Willian
Batshuayi
Musonda

Team @Bournemouth:

Courtois

Azpi
Luiz
Rudiger

Zappa
Bakayoko
Fabregas
Alonso

Pedro
Morata
Hazard

Looking forward, we can mount some real pressure on United if we can get the win at Bournemouth. We are currently four points off, meaning we will have the opportunity to bring it back to only 1 point since we face them at home the following week-end. By that time, Kanté is expected to be back as well. 

Edited by jones

4 hours ago, jones said:

Definitely agree that Bournemouth on Saturday is what Conte should consider when picking his XI on Wednesday. But a midfield of Scott and Ampadu is the same as surrendering before the game has even started. One of them, maybe, with a more experienced player. The following line-up would allow us to rest 8 of the 11 players who should start at Bournemouth, and the three who starts both matches (bold) are all new signings and in need of experience at this level:

Caballero

Rudiger
Christensen
Cahill

Zappa
Bakayoko

Ampadu (if Drinkwater is fit - he is apparently back in full training - he starts)
Kenedy

Willian
Batshuayi
Musonda

Team @Bournemouth:

Courtois

Azpi
Luiz
Rudiger

Zappa
Bakayoko
Fabregas
Alonso

Pedro
Morata
Hazard

Looking forward, we can mount some real pressure on United if we can get the win at Bournemouth. We are currently four points off, meaning we will have the opportunity to bring it back to only 1 point since we face them at home the following week-end. By that time, Kanté is expected to be back as well. 

Midfield looks fragile I reckon Jones

5 hours ago, jones said:

Definitely agree that Bournemouth on Saturday is what Conte should consider when picking his XI on Wednesday.

Saturday is more important than Wednesday, yes.  But maybe Tuesday next week at Roma is more important than both.  Tricky without players.
I suspect that only Musonda of the younger players will start mid-week, or  perhaps  Kenedy (who is not so young nowadays), but not both.  
Subs, unless the result is in doubt don't matter.
My guess is that Conte will mostly stick to experienced players and just try to rest 3 or 4 in the first time around, and 1 or 2 others at Bournemouth. For most positions that works reasonably well - it is easy to do for CF, GK and 5 defenders.  At AM it might be Hazard/Musonda then Pedro/Willian with Kenedy as sub.
At CM is it is trickiest (we do have 2 CMs injured).  I suspect Luiz (or better IMO Azpi or Christensen) will start one game in CM and Fabregas will just have to keep on jogging through.

If this is a 2 game preparation for Roma, it will be interesting to see who will lead the line there as I guess they will be supported by just 1 AM and the WBs playing in a flat 5 again.

Edited by Droy was my hero

7 hours ago, jones said:

Caballero

Rudiger
Christensen
Cahill

Zappa
Bakayoko

Kenedy

Willian
Batshuayi
Musonda

Team @Bournemouth:

Courtois

Azpi
Luiz
Rudiger

Zappa
Bakayoko
Fabregas
Alonso

Pedro
Morata
Hazard

It will be suicidal and stupid to start Fabregas or Baka in the everton game. They are our only fit midfielders and Baka isn't 100 percent. We have bournemouth Roma  and Man u in a 7 day period. They should both be completely rested . I actually hope we lose this game because we dont have a squad to compete in many competitions. Top 4 is important

jones   
1 hour ago, Don Antonio said:

It will be suicidal and stupid to start Fabregas or Baka in the everton game. They are our only fit midfielders and Baka isn't 100 percent. We have bournemouth Roma  and Man u in a 7 day period. They should both be completely rested . I actually hope we lose this game because we dont have a squad to compete in many competitions. Top 4 is important

I see your point, but it is not like we have much of a choice? A central midfield of Ampadu and Scott is going to be torn apart. You could use Luiz, but he is playing with niggles and needs the rest as much as Cesc and Baka - and is by no means a natural in that position. Willian could perhaps do a job in a "three", Musonda also I suppose. But if we are starting either Scott or Ampadu, what we need imo is defensive stability to make up for the nerves and inexperience. If Drinkwater is fit, then yes of course. But he has been injured for almost three months, and was not even on the bench this week-end. Not looking likely he is starting the following midweek?

Edited by jones

Well this is what happens when you don't have a squad. Imagine we start a bunch of senior players against Everton, end up losing anyways and get an injury or two? 

The more we stretch the squad, the likelier we are to suffer additional injuries. Then that adds up due to the extra strain that tiny pool left have to endure. 

January we will have to splash some cash and buy 2-3 additional players. Otherwise I can't see how we are supposed to keep up in any competition. 

The game against Everton should be the seniors who need playing time; Caballero, Christensen, Rudiger, Zappacosta, Kenedy, Drinkwater (if fit), Willian, Michy and then youth. Giving us something like;

(343): Caballero; Rudiger, Christensen, Clarke-Salter; Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Ampadu, Kenedy; Musonda, Michy, Willian

Subs: Eduardo, Cahill, Sterling, Scott, Fabregas, Pedro, Morata (due to lack of options) 

Then against Bournemouth away I'd go along with; 

(343): Courtois; Rudiger, Luiz, Christensen; Zappacosta, Fabregas, Bakayoko, Alonso; Pedro, Morata, Hazard

Subs: Caballero, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Kenedy, Drinkwater, Willian, Michy 

^^^^^

Based only on what I've read recently, I can't see that there's any way that Drinkwater is going to be ready to play in either of these games. As far as I know, he's still a fair way off being ready.