• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Everton 1

jones   

I think those of you saying Bakayoko and Fabregas have to be rested for this are correct, even if it means  starting with Ampadu and Scott in midfield. Everton are gonna boss the midfield. But losing 1-0 or 5-1, it does not matter. We don't have the chance to compete in this competition now, and we won't be in a better position for the next round. 

Caballero - Rudiger, Christensen, Cahill - Zappacosta, Ampadu, Scott, Kenedy - Willian, Batshuayi, Musonda

7 experienced first team players, 2 relatively inexperienced youngsters and 2 completely inexperienced kids. Everton will be favourites, but mainly because we have two kids in CM. We are most likely going to exit the competition, but we will be able to rest 9 of 11 players that will have to start at Bournemouth.

Just go all out youth for this, the league cup does nothing but get in the way

Caballero - Clarke-Salter, Christensen, Cahill - Sterling, Ampadu, Scott, Kenedy - K. Hazard, Batman, Musonda

This competition does not matter at all, and if this team loses, its not like we lose anything by losing.  If this team wins, then one of the youngsters put in a heckuva performance which is a bonus.

41 minutes ago, jones said:

Caballero - Rudiger, Christensen, Cahill - Zappacosta, Ampadu, Scott, Kenedy - Willian, Batshuayi, Musonda

That team will be at least 3 down at h/t against an Everton who will be up for it, and poor old Conte will be having to make at least 3 subs on 45 mins - if not earlier.

You just can't let the team go 6-0 down in a first team competition.  Happy to lose, but not in disgrace.
I like the few minutes I saw of Ampadu and I want to see more minutes of Sterling, but I doubt either is ready for Everton over more than 20 mins.
Besides it is not the Conte way, is it?  And I suspect the seniors would rather play half-heartedly and lose than see 4 kids get stuffed with a few of their mates looking silly too

A smarter approach might be to use it as a training game to introduce fresh tactics.

One of the things I don't understand about youth football is how an outplayed team so often collapses to lose 6 nil against a team they might have drawn against a week earlier.  But it does happen a lot.

jones   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

That team will be at least 3 down at h/t against an Everton who will be up for it, and poor old Conte will be having to make at least 3 subs on 45 mins - if not earlier.

You just can't let the team go 6-0 down in a first team competition.  Happy to lose, but not in disgrace.
I like the few minutes I saw of Ampadu and I want to see more minutes of Sterling, but I doubt either is ready for Everton over more than 20 mins.
Besides it is not the Conte way, is it?  And I suspect the seniors would rather play half-heartedly and lose than see 4 kids get stuffed with a few of their mates looking silly too

A smarter approach might be to use it as a training game to introduce fresh tactics.

One of the things I don't understand about youth football is how an outplayed team so often collapses to lose 6 nil against a team they might have drawn against a week earlier.  But it does happen a lot.

Silly to suggest we will lose 6-0. Other than the hilariously inexperienced CM, we are as strong as Everton. The dilemma is the CM, and we currently only have two fit CMs who both are in desperate need of a rest. The LC is not important. And we have a pivotal game against Bournemouth three days later. Win there and we have closed the gap to third, with us having the chance to close the gap to 2nd in the following match day. Lose, and we not only move further away, talks about Conte's future will start picking up again. If Cesc or Baka starts this one, we reduce our chances of winning at Bournemouth by quite a lot. Is Conte going to take that risk, if he already considers the LC as "not important"?

3 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Without fail, clubs in bad form change their manager just before playing us.

Meaning they have a new manager. New energy and motivation, just before they play us.

Typical. Happened with Palace, now Everton.

You know what’s next. 

Rooney winner incoming. Always scores against us. Everyone will play their game of the year.

So sick of this happening to us.

Is there anything you don't see the negative side of James? You're "so sick of" everything it seems to me.

1 hour ago, PeteRobbo said:

Is there anything you don't see the negative side of James? You're "so sick of" everything it seems to me.

The weird thing is I'm actually a positive person in general, especially about others. It's when it comes to myself I'm more negative.

I used to be so positive about our club, but it's the same crap all the time. Bad decisions, useless cheapskate amateur board (before anyone says we spent £150 million plus, our net spend including the sale of Costa was £25 million - we could easily have spent another £75-100 million and still be in profit as a club, and we'd be much stronger), we're sacking managers all the time, never blooding young players, everyone on here criticising every player we sign, and little things like teams changing managers just before we play them meaning just when think we have an easy win, it becomes more difficult. 

When you're a big optimist and that optimism and hope is taken away, you become a big cynic. 

Anyway, in terms of our team for this week, the ineptness and lack of preparation of our board will be shown again in our team line up, and we'll throw another chance of a trophy (and this counts as a trophy for me, always has) away to a likely rejuvinated Everton team who will out do us in midfield, most likely. 

He's got to play Luiz in midfield, can't play two untested kids. I would play Musonda with Willian behind Bats in the front 3. Zappacosta needs games so can start (he looks good, should be playing more anyway), 

I'd play Cahill, Christensen and Rudiger back three - Dave needs a rest. Play Kenedy LWB and give Alonso a rest

Our first choice back 3 now, btw, should be Dave, Christensen and Rudiger. Luiz not been quite as good this year, and the less said about Cahill the better. We're not going for the title, so give that back 3 a chance - all good on the ball, all good defenders, most of them young. 

I'd be up for giving Ampadu a chance from the start, on the condition we have Fabregas and Bakayoko on the bench to come on if things go bad. But not him and Scott together. Gotta play Luiz there. Defensively solid, experienced, and also creative in his own way. 

We keep talking about giving kids a chance - this is the game. Musonda, Ampadu and Christensen should all start. I'd be inclined to throw Sterling on the bench at least too. Maybe bring him on later if things are going well. Gotta get these kids playing - they have a deep connection to the club as they've been here since they were kids, gives them that extra motivation. And they have a winning mentality too, after winning so many trophies together. Give them a go. 

That's my one source of optimism - the young players. Next season, I'd love to see Tammy Abraham back here and starting with Morata (they would compliment each other perfectly). You could easily keep Bats as well, but Tammy is better IMHO. Hopefully RLC's improvement continues and he can come back and challenge, Zouma will be back, fit and improved too. Mason Mount might be ready.

And we can give opportunities to other academy products if they're good enough - there's plenty there and Jody Morris, their manager, says some of them are good enough for the first team now. 

I think we should be bold and when Conte goes - which he will - appoint a quality manager, but one known for blooding young players, and building young sides which play good football and challenge for major honours. So few managers do now. Moyes did at Everton, Pochettino has at Spurs - we need a manager in that mould, who can manage big teams and big players if necessary, but will put his faith in young players too. 

3 hours ago, jones said:

Silly to suggest we will lose 6-0. Other than the hilariously inexperienced CM, we are as strong as Everton. The dilemma is the CM, and we currently only have two fit CMs who both are in desperate need of a rest. 

Sorry - not 6-0,  but 2-6 at home is quite possible.  I doubt we will see more than one kid start though.

Your squad had Kenedy and Musonda as well - neither of which are PL players either.  I doubt Everton will have anyone at the level of those four (much as I fancy Ampadu for the future).

The solution at AM is easy - play Luiz or Azpi or Christensen there. Or Alonso.  Maybe even two of them.   Ampadu is Luiz-lite right now anyway.    

Rob B   
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sorry - not 6-0,  but 2-6 at home is quite possible.  I doubt we will see more than one kid start though.

Your squad had Kenedy and Musonda as well - neither of which are PL players either.  I doubt Everton will have anyone at the level of those four (much as I fancy Ampadu for the future).

The solution at AM is easy - play Luiz or Azpi or Christensen there. Or Alonso.  Maybe even two of them.   Ampadu is Luiz-lite right now anyway.    

Agree with you that if we go with Ampadu - Scott in midfield we’ll get trounced,  although that said, I fully expect more than one ‘kid’ to start - and so we should.

Musonda, Kenedy and one of Ampadu or Scott if I was a betting man. Probably the former as he seems stronger and more physically ready.  I suspect we’ll also have the likes of Sterling, JCS and T Chalobah on the bench too.

jones   

Suppose this one is slightly better?

Caballero

Rudiger Cahill Clarke-Salter

Zappacosta Ampadu Christensen Kenedy

Willian Batshuayi Musonda

2 hours ago, James Prescott said:

The weird thing is I'm actually a positive person in general, especially about others. It's when it comes to myself I'm more negative.

I used to be so positive about our club, but it's the same crap all the time. Bad decisions, useless cheapskate amateur board (before anyone says we spent £150 million plus, our net spend including the sale of Costa was £25 million - we could easily have spent another £75-100 million and still be in profit as a club, and we'd be much stronger), we're sacking managers all the time, never blooding young players, everyone on here criticising every player we sign, and little things like teams changing managers just before we play them meaning just when think we have an easy win, it becomes more difficult. 

When you're a big optimist and that optimism and hope is taken away, you become a big cynic. 

Anyway, in terms of our team for this week, the ineptness and lack of preparation of our board will be shown again in our team line up, and we'll throw another chance of a trophy (and this counts as a trophy for me, always has) away to a likely rejuvinated Everton team who will out do us in midfield, most likely. 

He's got to play Luiz in midfield, can't play two untested kids. I would play Musonda with Willian behind Bats in the front 3. Zappacosta needs games so can start (he looks good, should be playing more anyway), 

I'd play Cahill, Christensen and Rudiger back three - Dave needs a rest. Play Kenedy LWB and give Alonso a rest

Our first choice back 3 now, btw, should be Dave, Christensen and Rudiger. Luiz not been quite as good this year, and the less said about Cahill the better. We're not going for the title, so give that back 3 a chance - all good on the ball, all good defenders, most of them young. 

I'd be up for giving Ampadu a chance from the start, on the condition we have Fabregas and Bakayoko on the bench to come on if things go bad. But not him and Scott together. Gotta play Luiz there. Defensively solid, experienced, and also creative in his own way. 

We keep talking about giving kids a chance - this is the game. Musonda, Ampadu and Christensen should all start. I'd be inclined to throw Sterling on the bench at least too. Maybe bring him on later if things are going well. Gotta get these kids playing - they have a deep connection to the club as they've been here since they were kids, gives them that extra motivation. And they have a winning mentality too, after winning so many trophies together. Give them a go. 

That's my one source of optimism - the young players. Next season, I'd love to see Tammy Abraham back here and starting with Morata (they would compliment each other perfectly). You could easily keep Bats as well, but Tammy is better IMHO. Hopefully RLC's improvement continues and he can come back and challenge, Zouma will be back, fit and improved too. Mason Mount might be ready.

And we can give opportunities to other academy products if they're good enough - there's plenty there and Jody Morris, their manager, says some of them are good enough for the first team now. 

I think we should be bold and when Conte goes - which he will - appoint a quality manager, but one known for blooding young players, and building young sides which play good football and challenge for major honours. So few managers do now. Moyes did at Everton, Pochettino has at Spurs - we need a manager in that mould, who can manage big teams and big players if necessary, but will put his faith in young players too. 

Fair enough. Well I certainly agree that we should give youth its head tomorrow. If not in a game like this, then when?

As for Conte leaving? I'm not sure yet. I'd like more info on how his family are taking to London before reaching a decision on that one.