• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Roma 3 Chelsea 0

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

I agree. I understand why Conte didn't risk Kante, but if he was going with Fabregas then I don't understand why he didn't start with Drinkwater sitting deep. Bakayoko isn't that option.

I dare say it was down to fitness. Bakayoko isn't the problem though and anyone who says otherwise is merely not seeing the bigger picture. 

(Which is that behind Kante, Bakayoko is our next best ball-winner. He's a physical presence, he tackles well and recovers possession. He needs a bit more polish when he has the ball with his decision making and passing, but I'm hopefully that will come as he plays more and continues to develop. Drinkwater can fill the role also but isn't as impact on the defensive end as Bakyoko. What he would offer is more on the ball, so there's that trade off a manager would need to consider. When everyone is fully fit amidfield three of Kante - Cesc - Bakayoko offers the best balance imo. Then you can utilise Drinkwater for either Fabregas or Bakayoko depending on the opposition and match situation.)

1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

Which is that behind Kante, Bakayoko is our next best ball-winner.

Sorry, based on what I've seen of him in a Chelsea shirt, that simply isn't the case. I  really don't care what he did or didn't do last season, Ithink that he's had a major problem adapting to the PL, and only time is going to fix that. Next season he may end being what you claim that he is, but right now, whether he wins the ball, or has it passed to him, he loses it too frequently (and too easily) to be a first-choice starter, or to be talked about in the same breath as Kante.

Drinkwater can fill the role also but isn't as impact on the defensive end as Bakyoko.

Right now, Drinkwater is where Bakayoko can only hope to be. Winning the ball; passing effectively; making interceptions/tackling - I can't think of a single thing that Bakayoko does better (or even as consistently well) for Chelsea, in the Prem. And Drinbkwater has only just made it back from a long injury lay-off!

Clearly (and not for the first time, I guess) we've been watching two different players in two different teams. That's why what we post are opinions, and not facts.......:).

Zaffo: you present some good point, I'm not quoting it because of the danger that it'll branch out and become yet another long squad discussion. 

But I think the directness and speed ours talking about USB hardcore to achieve with a small squad, and particularly with only three AMs. All three will have to play every single game throughout the season which isn't great for energy levels. 

I think it's be a lot worse as the season progresses and second half/last third of it I'm thinking we'll only play one of them as a starter due to extreme fatigue. I guess what I'm saying is that we will be forced to play a low energy 5311 as the season goes on due to how the squad is built. I don't think that Hazrd and Willian is the problem - it's the AM4 and AM5 we don't have at the moment that's the issue. If we had a serious contender for S2 (Bats S3) and a few more AMs we have no issues whatsoever. 

There can be lots of discussion about whether we've the right players, in the right system or whether they're adapting to the PL, different style of play or being asked to perform different roles etc.

The real problem on Tuesday was that as soon as it went 2-0 they, almost en-masse, jacked it in.

They lost the desire to fight, work hard and play with some passion and concentration.  I thought it at the time and Rudiger confirmed part of this in a post match interview.

This season has real potential to end up like two seasons ago, unless Conte finds a way to spark a resurgence to similar performance, effort and concentration level from last season in this side. Kante returning will help in the short term, but if the players are so mentally fragile that one man missing can effect us so badly, we've got players with the wrong mindset.

He was hamstrung before the season by the sale of Matic, who for whatever reason wanted to go, and the Costa saga - for which he may have been partly responsible for.  We're still short on numbers and the players know this and some will exploit it. 

I hope the criticism being handed out regarding the performance has got to the players and they come out with a point to prove on Sunday, my own feeling is that this will be a blip if it happens. It seems to me that modern footballers lose interest and motivation far too easily and this drives the managerial merry-go-round we so often experience.

With the way the results went over the last two nights, even if we get second we are in danger of going out in the next round.

If the tables stay as they are now, we will play either Barcelona (or Juve), Psg (or Bayen)or Besiktas..unless Liverpool fall apart and then it could be Sevilla

paulw66   
9 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Well Dave, you wouldn't know that based on watching them last night! The 'defending' against Roma was abysmal, and the scoreline could easily have been 6-0 to them. 

It also could have been 4-2 to us. 

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Sorry, based on what I've seen of him in a Chelsea shirt, that simply isn't the case. I  really don't care what he did or didn't do last season, Ithink that he's had a major problem adapting to the PL, and only time is going to fix that. Next season he may end being what you claim that he is, but right now, whether he wins the ball, or has it passed to him, he loses it too frequently (and too easily) to be a first-choice starter, or to be talked about in the same breath as Kante.

Right now, Drinkwater is where Bakayoko can only hope to be. Winning the ball; passing effectively; making interceptions/tackling - I can't think of a single thing that Bakayoko does better (or even as consistently well) for Chelsea, in the Prem. And Drinbkwater has only just made it back from a long injury lay-off!

Clearly (and not for the first time, I guess) we've been watching two different players in two different teams. That's why what we post are opinions, and not facts.......:).

Drinkwater's reputation has increased without playing. This happens a lot. 

xCELERYx   
On 02/11/2017 at 5:52 PM, Sleeping Dave said:

Zaffo: you present some good point, I'm not quoting it because of the danger that it'll branch out and become yet another long squad discussion. 

But I think the directness and speed ours talking about USB hardcore to achieve with a small squad, and particularly with only three AMs. All three will have to play every single game throughout the season which isn't great for energy levels. 

I think it's be a lot worse as the season progresses and second half/last third of it I'm thinking we'll only play one of them as a starter due to extreme fatigue. I guess what I'm saying is that we will be forced to play a low energy 5311 as the season goes on due to how the squad is built. I don't think that Hazrd and Willian is the problem - it's the AM4 and AM5 we don't have at the moment that's the issue. If we had a serious contender for S2 (Bats S3) and a few more AMs we have no issues whatsoever. 

A lack of options certainly doesn't help and naturally will impact those who have to play more frequently than others.

In saying that, I'm not saying Hazard and Willian are the problem per say, just that their style isn't the most ideal for either our system or to compliment our CF in the best possible way. That's not the say they cannot make a positive impact, they certainly can. But I cannot help but think we'd be a far more potent side if we had AM'ers who more forward orientated types opposed to being midfielders. And by this I mean they've got more forward like instincts opposed to those of a midfielder. Right now, our AM's don't currently impact enough games in the attacking half. For a side that plays with a single CF it's hugely important that those playing in behind the striker are either creating or scoring. If they're not, not only does our forward play break down and grind to a halt. But it makes our CF's job far more challenging where it becomes more pivotal that they take the chances they do have. If they don't, no one else picks up that slack or is a danger. 

^So we change our CF and suddenly the AMs aren't the right sort.  Am I missing part of the grand Conte plan here? 

Wrong headed AMs (despite incredible recent history) are leading to the team not dominating, or a team without legs leading to AMs spending most of their time in midfield?

21 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

A lack of options certainly doesn't help and naturally will impact those who have to play more frequently than others.

In saying that, I'm not saying Hazard and Willian are the problem per say, just that their style isn't the most ideal for either our system or to compliment our CF in the best possible way. That's not the say they cannot make a positive impact, they certainly can. But I cannot help but think we'd be a far more potent side if we had AM'ers who more forward orientated types opposed to being midfielders. And by this I mean they've got more forward like instincts opposed to those of a midfielder. Right now, our AM's don't currently impact enough games in the attacking half. For a side that plays with a single CF it's hugely important that those playing in behind the striker are either creating or scoring. If they're not, not only does our forward play break down and grind to a halt. But it makes our CF's job far more challenging where it becomes more pivotal that they take the chances they do have. If they don't, no one else picks up that slack or is a danger. 

Sorry about the shocking auto-corrections in my previous post.

I can sort of see what you say regarding Willian. He isn't producing enough when he plays but he has also played on the wrong side for his whole Chelsea career - he's an AML/AMC but has almost exclusively been used as a AMR. He loses some of his directness when he's out on the right side. It's often visible when he picks up the ball in the middle in a pocket of space. In those situations he's just as direct as Hazard. Or when out on the left and he cuts inside. 

I don't agree with you regarding Hazard.