• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

Last season the change to a back 5 changed everything and won us the league. This year I think it is quite possibly out biggest problem.  We are absolutely shocking defensively so something has to change. We have tried pretty much every conceivable combination as a back 3 and they have all been as bad as each other and our wingbacks are just not attacking well enough for the system to work. 

Playing 352 is the last thing I want us to do as we are so far from having a squad capable of playing that for the rest of the season it's not a viable option. 

The whole point of playing a back 5 with defensive midfielders is to be good in defence, it worked last year. This year it most definitely is not.

So for me we go back to basics, back to what the majority, if not all, of our players have played their entire career and that's a back 4 with any variation of the front 6 you want.

Courtois 

Rudiger-Luiz-Christensen-Azpilicueta

Kante-Fabregas-Bakayoko

Pedro-Morata-Hazard

Back to a system all the players know well, back to basics and back to winning ways.

Whatever formation can we stick Hazard on Matic, exactly the type of player he struggled against when playing for us so will hopefully expose him and shut that clueless tit Phil Neville up. No doubt United will be physical and sit back so Fab coming off the bench could be a useful weapon later in the game.

Expect Rashford to start and his pace to cause our back line nightmares.

Praying that Kante will be fit!

4 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

It would be easy to be gloom and doom after last nights poor result. However I have the feeling Conte gambled last night in order to have Kante on Sunday. With him in there Fabregas and Hazard suddenly cease to be the luxury players they currently are. I think we will see a classic Mourinho away performance, strangle the life out of the game and grab a goal. If we can score first we should win however I wouldnt be surprised with a draw either. Lukaku hasnt scored in a few has he, bound to happen isn't it.

I'm going with a narrow Chelsea win though 2-1.

If Kante comes back the equation changes significantly. Kante-Drinkwater-Fabregas would be my starting trio and I would absolutely pack the midfield. This is a very interesting game.. Personally I can't wait!

I think this is our strongest team:

Courtois 

Azpi Christensen Rüdiger

Zappacosta Fabregas Kanté Alonso

Pedro Morata Hazard

But if Kanté isn't fit our whole balance is off and we might need to play 3-5-2. At some point Conte will have to take the plunge and give Kenedy an important game, just to give Alonso a break.

I'd also like to see Kante and Drinkwater in the middle and Christensen ahead of Luiz.

What I don't want to see are Sky's "Fireworks Night" Super Sunday promos with lots of close ups of Mourinho's face and an "angry" Conte appearing in his eyes or something similarly stupid.

45 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I think this is our strongest team:

Courtois 

Azpi Christensen Rüdiger

Zappacosta Fabregas Kanté Alonso

Pedro Morata Hazard

But if Kanté isn't fit our whole balance is off and we might need to play 3-5-2. At some point Conte will have to take the plunge and give Kenedy an important game, just to give Alonso a break.

I think that having just 1 CM with Cesc is a recipe for disaster. We're just too weak in midfield with that set-up.

8 minutes ago, PeteRobbo said:

I think that having just 1 CM with Cesc is a recipe for disaster. We're just too weak in midfield with that set-up.

On the other hand 3 CMS, 3 CBs and 2 WBs is 2 too many.

2 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Yep. I agree with this and it certainly puts Matics performances for us in a different light. 

He's been a revelation at United and Phil Neville was our absolutely lambasting is for letting him go. Called it the most puzzling decision in PL history... 

I certainly hope he performs nowhere near as he has this season when we face them this weekend. If he does, I can't see us getting much from the game. 

45 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Yep. I agree with this and it certainly puts Matics performances for us in a different light. 

He's been a revelation at United and Phil Neville was our absolutely lambasting is for letting him go. Called it the most puzzling decision in PL history... 

I wonder just how good he will look this weekend.
I've heard two stories from Man U that conflict.  One is how well Matic is playing.  The other is how desperately they need Pogba, Carrick and Fellaini to get back from injury.

In the end CMs always get praised if their team dominates, and always get the blame if their team does not.  Actual performance seems to have little to do with it.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

I wonder just how good he will look this weekend.
I've heard two stories from Man U that conflict.  One is how well Matic is playing.  The other is how desperately they need Pogba, Carrick and Fellaini to get back from injury.

In the end CMs always get praised if their team dominates, and always get the blame if their team does not.  Actual performance seems to have little to do with it.

Having read my post back, I'm amazed you could make out what I said. My fingers are clearly not fit for an iPhone... 

Anyhow - I disagree. I can see why you'd want to present some sort of conflicting story of how well he's performed. The truth is that neither Fellaini nor Carrick can compete with Matic. He's a nailed-on starter for them and for good reason. 

That they'd want Pogba back isn't a surprise though. It's like us wanting an injured Hazard coming back even though Pedro and Willian would have performed well.