• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

4 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Having read my post back, I'm amazed you could make out what I said. My fingers are clearly not fit for an iPhone... 

Couldn't really, but I could easily guess what Phil Neville must have said.
I didn't say either story was what I thought (not seen enough).  Just what I had heard.
A number of clubs discovered last year just how much room there was in "Erikkson-land" to plot passes and chips into the box.  I'm sure we will try the same.  Curious to see how it works out.  Unlike City United have been flattered till recently by playing few top teams so far.  All the 7 points they have dropped were in the last 3 games.  Should be interesting.

This will be a very difficult game. Our confidence is shot, legs are heavy, and Man U will arrive with a lot of optimism.

Jose will set them out as he did on the previous occasion with Herrera man marking Hazard and the LB (Darmian, most likely) stuck to Pedro.

That will leave Morata isolated and not much goal threat from elsewhere. Jose will be happy to sit back and hit us on the counter. Could be the type of game that'll be decided by a set piece.

I'd go with a 3-4-3 and a high press with quick transitions. I'd also tell the front 3 to rotate positions often to throw off the man marking. Hazard, for example, could play up top for a period, which would pull Herrera to where the CB's are.

It's going to be tactical and physical, and potentially season defining. 

chelboy   

I am surprised people still want to start  Cesc in a game like this. Even if he partners Kante it will not work.  We saw the game against Arsenal how better we looked when Bakayoko came on to partner Kante. Cesc coming of the bench is best for the team. He is our best sub.

We need to go back to basics of being a team that is solid in the central part of the pitch. 2 solid CM's that you can not walk past with ease. Players like Richarlison , Zaha and Perotti have run through the midfield with ease. I am surprised Conte has let it happen so much this season. Barely anyone could run at our midfield like that last season. If we start with Cesc you can guarantee the same thing will happen with Rashford and Mhkitaryan.  They will just target him.

19 minutes ago, chelboy said:

I am surprised people still want to start  Cesc in a game like this. Even if he partners Kante it will not work.  We saw the game against Arsenal how better we looked when Bakayoko came on to partner Kante. Cesc coming of the bench is best for the team. He is our best sub.

We need to go back to basics of being a team that is solid in the central part of the pitch. 2 solid CM's that you can not walk past with ease. Players like Richarlison , Zaha and Perotti have run through the midfield with ease. I am surprised Conte has let it happen so much this season. Barely anyone could run at our midfield like that last season. If we start with Cesc you can guarantee the same thing will happen with Rashford and Mhkitaryan.  They will just target him.

I agree with this, if Kante isn't fit then I'd start 2 of Drinkwater, Luiz and Bakayoko in midfield with Fabregas coming of the bench, that is when he is at his most deadly and a 2 man midfield with him as one of the 2 just doesn't work.

21 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Whatever formation can we stick Hazard on Matic, exactly the type of player he struggled against when playing for us so will hopefully expose him and shut that clueless tit Phil Neville up. No doubt United will be physical and sit back so Fab coming off the bench could be a useful weapon later in the game.

Expect Rashford to start and his pace to cause our back line nightmares.

Praying that Kante will be fit!

Personally I think dear old JM is going to suprise the pundits and go for it. I can see them early doors going route 1 over the top for trying to uterlise Rashford & Lukaku pace. If they score they will park the bus and play the counter game

On the flip side

If our boys are not up for this one then there is something seriously wrong with the team.  

On 01/11/2017 at 6:40 PM, Droy was my hero said:

On the other hand 3 CMS, 3 CBs and 2 WBs is 2 too many.

Yeh fair enough and I did say in a post a good while back that I'd like us to be in a 12-a-side competition.

Forgive me for not being confident - I really hope we win, I hope we thrash them off the park. And maybe the media and results all going against us, and the shock of defeat midweek, will spur us on to get a famous victory. That's the only hope I have right now.

But Cahill is definitely starting. Which for me always makes it 1-0 to the opponent before kick off. Every time I see his name on the team sheet I despair and fear for the result - and it's justified.

Honestly, Conte's determination to stick with Cahill, who is clearly not in our best back 3 (I'd say even Christensen starts above him), is becoming akin to Jose's stubborn faith in Ivanovic when he was clearly past it, and it's costing us goals. 

The stats back up this argument conclusively. 

Of the 11 games he has played this season, we've only kept clean sheets in 2. And one was against Quarabag. We've conceded 20 goals in those games.

We conceded 2 to Crystal Palace (who can't score for toffee right now), 2 to Watford & 1 to Man City in the league (plus the 3 in the game he was sent off, Burnley), 1 to Arsenal in the community shield, 1 to Forest and Everton each in the league cup. Plus 3 to Roma twice.

In 11 games he has started we have conceded 17 goals, 20 including Burnley when he wasn't on the pitch. That's 2 per game when he is in the team.

In the 5 games he's not played, all in the PL, we've conceded a grand total of 2 goals. That's about 0.5 goals a game without Cahill. And that includes Tottenham away, Everton at home (when they were in good form going into that game), and Leicester away (when they were scoring goals for fun). 

He should not be in the team, yet alone be captain. The real captain, and organiser of our defence, is Dave. Whenever he goes to RWB our defence looks disorganised, and leaderless. 

So sadly I expect us to concede at least one, possibly two on Sunday, Lukaku and Matic most likely, and Matic to get MOTM and everyone say why we shouldn't have sold him. If Cahill plays, and especially if Kante doesn't play, that's the most likely outcome sadly.

If Cahill doesn't play, Kante plays, and Dave plays RCB, then we have a chance. 

xCELERYx   
10 hours ago, James Prescott said:

Forgive me for not being confident - I really hope we win, I hope we thrash them off the park. And maybe the media and results all going against us, and the shock of defeat midweek, will spur us on to get a famous victory. That's the only hope I have right now.

But Cahill is definitely starting. Which for me always makes it 1-0 to the opponent before kick off. Every time I see his name on the team sheet I despair and fear for the result - and it's justified.

Honestly, Conte's determination to stick with Cahill, who is clearly not in our best back 3 (I'd say even Christensen starts above him), is becoming akin to Jose's stubborn faith in Ivanovic when he was clearly past it, and it's costing us goals. 

The stats back up this argument conclusively. 

Of the 11 games he has played this season, we've only kept clean sheets in 2. And one was against Quarabag. We've conceded 20 goals in those games.

We conceded 2 to Crystal Palace (who can't score for toffee right now), 2 to Watford & 1 to Man City in the league (plus the 3 in the game he was sent off, Burnley), 1 to Arsenal in the community shield, 1 to Forest and Everton each in the league cup. Plus 3 to Roma twice.

In 11 games he has started we have conceded 17 goals, 20 including Burnley when he wasn't on the pitch. That's 2 per game when he is in the team.

In the 5 games he's not played, all in the PL, we've conceded a grand total of 2 goals. That's about 0.5 goals a game without Cahill. And that includes Tottenham away, Everton at home (when they were in good form going into that game), and Leicester away (when they were scoring goals for fun). 

He should not be in the team, yet alone be captain. The real captain, and organiser of our defence, is Dave. Whenever he goes to RWB our defence looks disorganised, and leaderless. 

So sadly I expect us to concede at least one, possibly two on Sunday, Lukaku and Matic most likely, and Matic to get MOTM and everyone say why we shouldn't have sold him. If Cahill plays, and especially if Kante doesn't play, that's the most likely outcome sadly.

If Cahill doesn't play, Kante plays, and Dave plays RCB, then we have a chance. 

The problem here James is that Cahill isn't the sole reason for our form or our problems. You could literally pick any of our CB's out at present and none of them are covering themselves in a whole lot of glory in comparison to last season. Our issues are far more widespread than just Cahill not playing well - and he hasn't been. Or that he's currently the captain over someone else.

We've been without Kante and no one else in midfield has really stepped up. Our wingbacks haven't been able to make the same impact in games as they were able to do last season. Our attacking midfielders have virtually had minimal impact in games and that's making harder work for us in the final third when it comes to breaking teams down. While our CF has seen his hot start curbed by both inconsistency and injury. Essentially, you can look across the board and there isn't really an area or player that has stood out this season besides possibly Kante. 

Dropping Cahill isn't going to magically going to solve all the problems we currently have. It may help, but there's also other equally concerning aspects that need addressing pronto. 

Blue Rod   
18 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

The problem here James is that Cahill isn't the sole reason for our form or our problems. You could literally pick any of our CB's out at present and none of them are covering themselves in a whole lot of glory in comparison to last season. Our issues are far more widespread than just Cahill not playing well - and he hasn't been. Or that he's currently the captain over someone else.

We've been without Kante and no one else in midfield has really stepped up. Our wingbacks haven't been able to make the same impact in games as they were able to do last season. Our attacking midfielders have virtually had minimal impact in games and that's making harder work for us in the final third when it comes to breaking teams down. While our CF has seen his hot start curbed by both inconsistency and injury. Essentially, you can look across the board and there isn't really an area or player that has stood out this season besides possibly Kante. 

Dropping Cahill isn't going to magically going to solve all the problems we currently have. It may help, but there's also other equally concerning aspects that need addressing pronto. 

I agree with this comment. Cahill would weaken any team he plays in right now. But we have problems all over the pitch. To me our biggest problem is in central midfield. If you don't control the centre of midfield and draw your opponents to it, your wingbacks can't find the space to advance.

I have no idea why we signed Bakayoko. As a DM he is currently worse than Mikel. He offers absolutely nothing, not even intensity, never mind skills on or off the ball. His ability to unsettle, break up moves or actually win balls off opponents is as good as if those things were happening by chance. 

The general work rate of the team is down.  Players are jogging along in our central midfield. You can't win any match with players performing like that.  And they look overweight. 

Maybe they don't like Conte's methods. There is something not right at the moment. 

On 02/11/2017 at 11:16 AM, A Blue Essien said:

It's going to be tactical and physical, and potentially season defining. 

I certainly think it can be season defining for United - they lose here and... well we might as well hand the title to City now and get on with it.

As for us, if we win it doesn't change much. We will still be under pressure to manage a top 4 and struggle to do so. If we lose on the other hand... P45?