• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0

1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

I agree with this comment. Cahill would weaken any team he plays in right now. But we have problems all over the pitch. To me our biggest problem is in central midfield. If you don't control the centre of midfield and draw your opponents to it, your wingbacks can't find the space to advance.

I have no idea why we signed Bakayoko. As a DM he is currently worse than Mikel. He offers absolutely nothing, not even intensity, never mind skills on or off the ball. His ability to unsettle, break up moves or actually win balls off opponents is as good as if those things were happening by chance. 

The general work rate of the team is down.  Players are jogging along in our central midfield. You can't win any match with players performing like that.  And they look overweight. 

Maybe they don't like Conte's methods. There is something not right at the moment. 

I have no idea how you can fail to realise that playing two games a week with 12 players and 4 subs will make those players look tired. Especially since 8 of them are CBS or WBs and we've had injuries to 6 of them. 

Its like stepping into the shower - you'll get wet. Stay out in the sun without sunscreen - you'll get burnt. Jump out a 20 floor building - you'll die. 

Cause and effect. 

The first step to let new players adjust to a new league (Bakayoko, he's been here five minutes ffs) is to ease them in. We rushed Bakayoko and rushed him back from an injury no less. That's because our other CM signing was also already injured when we signed him and some bright prospect at the club decided to sell Matic. So yeah, no wonder we are having problems at CM. 

As for Cahill, it's rabbit caught in headlights for me. Hands behind his back and almost tripping himself when he's trying to backpedal in order to not be roasted. But for me, Luiz has been our worst defender. He's made 4-5 severe defensive errors per game lately and is currently all over the shop. Add Cahill to that mix and it's immaterial who the third defender is. He won't be able to hold it together. 

Our best defensive set-up is quite clearly Azpi-Christensen-Rudiger. Conte needs to realise this asap. It won't solve everything, but not solving it won't make us any better. Right now Conte needs to solve the issues he can in order to make us just a little bit stronger step-by-step, hope we make top four and pray he still has a job come June 2018 where he can add another 5-6 players (serious options) to the squad and let go of 1-2. Then pad it out with a few from the academy. 

Blue Rod   
57 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I have no idea how you can fail to realise that playing two games a week with 12 players and 4 subs will make those players look tired. Especially since 8 of them are CBS or WBs and we've had injuries to 6 of them. 

Its like stepping into the shower - you'll get wet. Stay out in the sun without sunscreen - you'll get burnt. Jump out a 20 floor building - you'll die. 

Cause and effect. 

The first step to let new players adjust to a new league (Bakayoko, he's been here five minutes ffs) is to ease them in. We rushed Bakayoko and rushed him back from an injury no less. That's because our other CM signing was also already injured when we signed him and some bright prospect at the club decided to sell Matic. So yeah, no wonder we are having problems at CM. 

As for Cahill, it's rabbit caught in headlights for me. Hands behind his back and almost tripping himself when he's trying to backpedal in order to not be roasted. But for me, Luiz has been our worst defender. He's made 4-5 severe defensive errors per game lately and is currently all over the shop. Add Cahill to that mix and it's immaterial who the third defender is. He won't be able to hold it together. 

Our best defensive set-up is quite clearly Azpi-Christensen-Rudiger. Conte needs to realise this asap. It won't solve everything, but not solving it won't make us any better. Right now Conte needs to solve the issues he can in order to make us just a little bit stronger step-by-step, hope we make top four and pray he still has a job come June 2018 where he can add another 5-6 players (serious options) to the squad and let go of 1-2. Then pad it out with a few from the academy. 

I agree with you about David Luiz. Right now he looks worse than when we sold him to PSG. I completely disagree with you that our poor performance is down to fatigue. Its not like we are playing a game every other day.

And if Bakayoko was rushed back from injury, then having managed to avoid further injuries I would expect to see some improvement in at least some aspects of his game. Right now I see absolutely nothing of that sort. And what about the argument that playing time helps you improve after injury? How would not playing him help him to understand that you can't just allow opponents to pass the ball around you? 

When Bakayoko is not jogging about he is retreating to the defence. When he has the ball, there seems to be no poise, purpose or drive  in him. That is why he makes so many bad passes. When someone comes at him, he lacks the strength and technical abillity to shield the ball. This last one is a skill that no self respecting DM player should enter the field without. Makelele, Kante and even Mikel would have considered hanging up their boots if they were repeatedly shoved off the ball they already had in possession. Honestly I couldn't describe all the weaknesses of Bakayoko in one page.

chelboy   

To be honest Conte team selections have been questionable this season. If he really believes that Cahill is the best fit for that defence with what we have got then that is quite worrying. I thought an ovbious weakness in the system was the Cahill-Alonso combo. It was very slow and fast players would get in behind too easily. We could not upgrade on Alonso but we definitely upgraded on Cahill in the summer. I think our recent problems have been midfield and CB rotations. Once we get back to Kante and Bakayoko then Conte must pick his 1st choice back 3 and stick with it. Rotate in less important games.

29 minutes ago, chelboy said:

To be honest Conte team selections have been questionable this season. 

This season has been made unnecessarily difficult for us to truly compete, but he definitely hasn't helped himself. 

30 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Once we get back to Kante and Bakayoko then Conte must pick his 1st choice back 3 and stick with it. Rotate in less important games.

Not to say Bakayoko is useless or anything, but I think Drinkwater has every chance of getting in the team in front of him.

xCELERYx   
32 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

I agree with you about David Luiz. Right now he looks worse than when we sold him to PSG. I completely disagree with you that our poor performance is down to fatigue. Its not like we are playing a game every other day.

And if Bakayoko was rushed back from injury, then having managed to avoid further injuries I would expect to see some improvement in at least some aspects of his game. Right now I see absolutely nothing of that sort. And what about the argument that playing time helps you improve after injury? How would not playing him help him to understand that you can't just allow opponents to pass the ball around you? 

When Bakayoko is not jogging about he is retreating to the defence. When he has the ball, there seems to be no poise, purpose or drive  in him. That is why he makes so many bad passes. When someone comes at him, he lacks the strength and technical abillity to shield the ball. This last one is a skill that no self respecting DM player should enter the field without. Makelele, Kante and even Mikel would have considered hanging up their boots if they were repeatedly shoved off the ball they already had in possession. Honestly I couldn't describe all the weaknesses of Bakayoko in one page.

This is the problem though with Bakayoko, he's being viewed as a DM when he's not. It's kinda like how people perceived Kante initially purely because of the role he was being asked to play when in fact there's more to his game. Bakayoko is being asked to fill a role that is usually shared between two players. With Kante out, he's more or less doing the job on his own with Fabregas along side. He's being exposed a little more in this situation because he isn't a holding player by nature. He's more of a combative midfield who can get from box to box. Not one that sits in the hole like we've had in Makelele, Mikel and Matic. Which is why his reading of the game and positioning defensively has lapses. When he had Kante next to him he looked a lot more solid because some of that responsibility was being shared. 

I don't think he's been as terrible as people are making it sound like though. He's shown some positives, along with some negatives. He's still a young player in a new league and team. Not having a consistent midfield partner also hasn't helped. And that's not even factoring in his return from injury. All things considered, he's been doing okay. I'd like to see more when he has possession and finding some more polish on his passing. Hopefully that improves, along with the rest of his game as he continues to play and develop further. 

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Cause and effect. 

Yes.

The worrying thing is not the games so far.  and we have a 2 week break after this game so they should be ready to give it a go (though most will be much more worried about their international place than the chlesea place).

The worrying thing is when they get back they have 15 games in 7 weeks, non-stop midweek games till early January.  Lets hope the calvary arrive in january with 3 or 4 reinforcements.

Blue Rod   
3 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

This is the problem though with Bakayoko, he's being viewed as a DM when he's not. It's kinda like how people perceived Kante initially purely because of the role he was being asked to play when in fact there's more to his game. Bakayoko is being asked to fill a role that is usually shared between two players. With Kante out, he's more or less doing the job on his own with Fabregas along side. He's being exposed a little more in this situation because he isn't a holding player by nature. He's more of a combative midfield who can get from box to box. Not one that sits in the hole like we've had in Makelele, Mikel and Matic. Which is why his reading of the game and positioning defensively has lapses. When he had Kante next to him he looked a lot more solid because some of that responsibility was being shared. 

I don't think he's been as terrible as people are making it sound like though. He's shown some positives, along with some negatives. He's still a young player in a new league and team. Not having a consistent midfield partner also hasn't helped. And that's not even factoring in his return from injury. All things considered, he's been doing okay. I'd like to see more when he has possession and finding some more polish on his passing. Hopefully that improves, along with the rest of his game as he continues to play and develop further. 

You could well be right, that he is not a DM.  But I can't think of any role that permits you to let opponents just ping the ball around you. Even if a goalkeeper finds himself in the midfield by chance he'd know that you have to disrupt the play of the other team. That is what midfield is about - creating and destroying. If you can do neither, you have no place there.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes.

The worrying thing is not the games so far.  and we have a 2 week break after this game so they should be ready to give it a go (though most will be much more worried about their international place than the chlesea place).

The worrying thing is when they get back they have 15 games in 7 weeks, non-stop midweek games till early January.  Lets hope the calvary arrive in january with 3 or 4 reinforcements.

We've been playing twice a week for a while now. That will continue until February (where I expect us to be knocked out of the CL). 

Without January reinforcements top four is impossible I think. Unless we throw the FA Cup and play a Haribo Cup line-up (which we should if you ask me). 

Time for Conte to start using his full squad - including Musonda, Ampadu and Kenedy. If they aren't good enough, then why the **** are they here? 

4 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

31 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

You could well be right, that he is not a DM.  But I can't think of any role that permits you to let opponents just ping the ball around you. Even if a goalkeeper finds himself in the midfield by chance he'd know that you have to disrupt the play of the other team. That is what midfield is about - creating and destroying. If you can do neither, you have no place there.

His stats wouldn't support that view. My biggest issue with Bakayoko is not what he doesn't do without the ball, it's what he does when he's got the ball at his feet. Too many passes that goes astray for my liking. 

His defensive stats are actually good. Of course thy can't be viewed in isolation, but his pass completion rate is only 80% which is quite bad for a CM. Matic is on his customary 90% at United with similar defensive stats as Bakayoko. 

I think you're being too harsh on him. He's young, just arrived and has been asked to shoulder a team in kante's absence and that has come much to soon. 

We seem to agree on Cahill and Luiz though. 

8 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I certainly think it can be season defining for United - they lose here and... well we might as well hand the title to City now and get on with it.

As for us, if we win it doesn't change much. We will still be under pressure to manage a top 4 and struggle to do so. If we lose on the other hand... P45? 

Yep could be for sure.