• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holymoly

Michael Emenalo

Holymoly   

It would be nice to have someone like Michael Ballack holding the reins but I fear that is overly optimistic.

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

It would be nice to have someone like Michael Ballack holding the reins but I fear that is overly optimistic.

Personally I don't want him to be the next scapegoat.

Sciatika   
2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Well we need someone else to blame for whenever we lose. Currently Marina is in the trenches taking grenades

QFT. I think we (the club) need someone who can deal with the journalists at a club level. At the moment, we have a manager who acknowledges that he has only a little input into decisions at a club level. So we need someone else to do regular conferences with the press on club level matters whether it's The Foundation, Club Youth and Transfer Policy, The Stadium, Competitions and so on. It's easy to scapegoat people when they have no mechanism to respond to the criticism. Mind you, I have been on this forum since 2004 (and on another before), and the common factor is always the tendency to create scapegoats of the players, managers and club officials including the board, the coaches, the stewards and even, on occasion, the ball boys. As the song say "meet your mates, have a drink, have a moan and start to think". Moaning is part of the culture.

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Sciatika said:

QFT. I think we (the club) need someone who can deal with the journalists at a club level. At the moment, we have a manager who acknowledges that he has only a little input into decisions at a club level. So we need someone else to do regular conferences with the press on club level matters whether it's The Foundation, Club Youth and Transfer Policy, The Stadium, Competitions and so on. It's easy to scapegoat people when they have no mechanism to respond to the criticism. Mind you, I have been on this forum since 2004 (and on another before), and the common factor is always the tendency to create scapegoats of the players, managers and club officials including the board, the coaches, the stewards and even, on occasion, the ball boys. As the song say "meet your mates, have a drink, have a moan and start to think". Moaning is part of the culture.

Yup.

Kenyon, Gourlay, Emenalo, and now Marina have all been the main target at some point. They should appoint someone who does nothing, literally nothing, but call him DoF, pay him next to nothing, and let him take the blame for all bad signings, then sack said person every 18 months and replace him with another fall guy. All the while appoint someone else to actually do the role with a different job title and let them get on with it. 

26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yup.

Kenyon, Gourlay, Emenalo, and now Marina have all been the main target at some point. They should appoint someone who does nothing, literally nothing, but call him DoF, pay him next to nothing, and let him take the blame for all bad signings, then sack said person every 18 months and replace him with another fall guy. All the while appoint someone else to actually do the role with a different job title and let them get on with it. 

Sounds like the apocryphal story of the person hired by Harrods solely to be fired in front of upset customers in order to placate them.

34 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Personally I don't want him to be the next scapegoat.

I don't think that would be the case.

At this time, I think most are comfortable with the idea that there isn't a single individual we can lay all the blame on when it comes to transfer activity. It is very much a team effort (or lack thereof). 

27 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yup.

Where do I volunteer? That sounds like the perfect job!

Holymoly   

All this talk of scapegoats could be construed as paranoid cynicism. If someone like Ballack was appointed maybe he would provide the stability of continuity while also attracting the kind of high calibre footballer we all would like to see walk through the doors at Cobham.

4 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

All this talk of scapegoats could be construed as paranoid cynicism. If someone like Ballack was appointed maybe he would provide the stability of continuity while also attracting the kind of high calibre footballer we all would like to see walk through the doors at Cobham.

We'd just have to find some other poor sod to blame so as to avoid pointing the finger at Ballack

43 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

They should appoint someone who does nothing, literally nothing, but call him DoF, pay him next to nothing, and let him take the blame for all bad signings, then sack said person every 18 months and replace him with another fall guy. 

14 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

Where do I volunteer? That sounds like the perfect job!

It does sound like a great job, and it's why I never worry we'll run out of 'managers' or 'coaches' to appoint!

59 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yup.

To be fair, Gourley was seen as ok.