• Current Donation Goals

Holymoly

Michael Emenalo

20 minutes ago, kev61 said:

Carlo never struck me as having a huge ego.

He certainly comes across as just being nice all around, with press and players eating from his hand.  Too good to be true nice.  But he talked about the Chelsea job long before he got it and then after leaving us let it be known he was going to be PSG manager while the existing guy was still in place (and we sidelined Alex while he waited).  I can't think of any other manager who would do that.

For that matter turning up at the Bridge for 2 games just before you take over someone else's Director of Football job is bad form IMO too.

21 minutes ago, kev61 said:

I don't want him back as manager but I've got no problem taking over from em and  can't see why he has to be 'diplomatic' in that role

Well if the role is to be buffer between manager and board, it is a diplomatic role.

Stim   
6 hours ago, James Prescott said:

He spotted De Bruyne, helped us get Hazard, got Zouma, Lukaku, Christensen, Bats. He spotted some great talent. 

Mate half the posters here spotted Hazard. And Lukaku. And De Bruyne looked like one of our many 'did well against us in CL' buys like Salah, Willian etc.

But you blame Marina for everything but if he spotted she got the deals done. So does he get all credit if its good and she get all credit if we don't sign the 100 players we are linked to every window?

8 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Fair play to him. That's a classy departure. 

He's probably recieved a lot of unwarranted stick and he's never been the sole reason to why we've seen failed windows in the past. There's more names to add to that list.

But whichever way one sees things, one thing we can't deny - the whole club is at a better place now compared to 7-8 seasons ago. The academy, the development squad and yes, it was a nice parting gift that Andreas Christensen had such a brilliant game yesterday. Finally the loan army and academy had produced a first team player of quality. 

Some posters have said he's off to Monaco. In that interview I get the impression he wants to rest and enjoy his family. 

Thank you for your service Michael.  

Well said.

8 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

According to this article Marina will take over Emenalos role in the immediate (don' have a heart attack James ;-)) And frank is being considered a successor in a bid to ease relations between manager and owner.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/876330/Chelsea-news-Frank-Lampard-considered-replace-Michael-Emenalo-technical-director

Also appears to confirm that he genuinely wants to spend time with his kids

I really hope Frank doesn't take the job. The technical director is on a hiding to nothing and I sincerely hope Frank is spared the inevitable abuse. 

2 hours ago, Stim said:

But you blame Marina for everything but if he spotted she got the deals done. So does he get all credit if its good and she get all credit if we don't sign the 100 players we are linked to every window?

Indeed. Now with Emenalo gone, all guns will be pointed at Marina. There has to be a scapegoat. 

• Like 1

paulw66   
3 hours ago, Stim said:

Mate half the posters here spotted Hazard. And Lukaku. And De Bruyne looked like one of our many 'did well against us in CL' buys like Salah, Willian etc.

we were after kdb before we played Genk.  I remember going to the away game and stayed at the hotel where all the Genk players were staying.  when they got on their team coach all the Chelsea fans were staringat the squad saying "which one is de bruyne"

1 hour ago, A Blue Essien said:

I really hope Frank doesn't take the job. The technical director is on a hiding to nothing and I sincerely hope Frank is spared the inevitable abuse. 

And it is not a job for a man without experience.  SFL has many fine qualities, but not management experience.

4 hours ago, Stim said:

True.  What the club did was to load up very very heavy on talent around 2011/13.  We bought numbers and we bought when the market was still low and made a lot of money with subsequent sales and cheap first team players.  We could never have got all of them into the team together.
The genius in the trade was not the choice of players (which was good but we went for talent where there were other bidders) but the timing of the investment.  

11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I read Carlo's book, the one just before he joined us where he already bragging how he was advising RA on how to play more attractive football.  Seems to have a bigger ego than either JM or Conte.  Not the man for a diplomatic role.

I'm surprised you say that. I always thought he had a reputation for being an arch-diplomat in fact and he is good friends with Conte I believe.

Just now, PeteRobbo said:

I'm surprised you say that. I always thought he had a reputation for being an arch-diplomat in fact and he is good friends with Conte I believe.

I think the jovial friends with everyone is a very carefully cultivated image.  Which is not to say he is a bad person.  But I don't see him in a behind the scenes role.  And if you want to make your current manager truly paranoid, having the 58 yo former manager of Juve, Milan, Chelsea, PSG, RM & Bayern M sitting just behind you would do it perfectly.

I'm curious why he was at 2 games recently.  Perhaps invited by Conte.  But if he was there as potential replacement for Emenalo it was a massively tactless thing to do.

I feel a thousand times happier now than I did after Roma game because big stuff needed to happen quickly and I think it has.

Conte has read the riot act ,stamped his authority and has been ruthless with Luiz. Generally I am pro Luiz but there is only one boss and that message will not be lost on the other players. IF Conte feels happier without Emenalo around, that too is a good thing. 

It seemed to me that (and I am guessing) that Emenalo had too much of Romans ear. Roman seemed to have him as a confidant and general adviser on all things Chelsea....well that's how it came across. When things went, wrong  coaches were sacked and  staff were sacked but Emenalo stood there arms folded watching it all. I felt uncomfortable about it. 

Maybe he was everyone's favorite scapegoat. Maybe it was deserved and maybe it wasn't but my instinct and feeling about this departure is "about time". For someone with no real pedigree he has done extremely well out of Chelsea FC (finacially and otherwise). A fortunate man I feel but hey....good luck to him.

50 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think the jovial friends with everyone is a very carefully cultivated image.  Which is not to say he is a bad person.  But I don't see him in a behind the scenes role.  And if you want to make your current manager truly paranoid, having the 58 yo former manager of Juve, Milan, Chelsea, PSG, RM & Bayern M sitting just behind you would do it perfectly.

I'm curious why he was at 2 games recently.  Perhaps invited by Conte.  But if he was there as potential replacement for Emenalo it was a massively tactless thing to do.

Yeh, that's true I suppose, but maybe he had been initially invited without any particular reason being stated.

paulw66   

The trouble with judging Emenalo is that nobody knows exactly what his remit is. As alluded to earlier by others, there are plenty of players we have brought in during his tenure that were either:

1. Exceptional players

2. Good players, exceptional value

3. Players who weren't good enough but were sold at a profit

The trouble is, we don't know exactly how involved he was in bringing in which of those players but there are a number of success stories.

Meanwhile, look at some of the sales:

Oscar, Ramires, Mata, Matic all sold for massive money. Even Lukaku was sold for £28m and we bought Costa for £32m whilst winning 2 titles. Again, how much he is involved, we don't know.

What else falls under a DOF remit? The Academy? Well in the last 10 years, we have dominated youth football in this country and had sucess in Europe, whilst producing a number of players who now play in the PL / Championship either on loan or having moved on permanently. Meanwhile RLC and Abraham look likely to make full England debuts. 

It amazes me how much he was made the scapegoat, and it amazes me further how people seem to be rejoicing now he is gone. It amazes me because of the reasons mentioned above. None of us know exactly what his remit is (was) and how much he was directly responsible for. Likewise, I would equally amazed if someone wanted to give him sole credit for the transfers and academy.

The interview he gave makes it seem highly unlikely he was pushed - all seems very amicable.