• Current Donation Goals

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our  Premier League match against West Brom at The Hawthorns, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 15:00, Saturday, 18th November, 2017 (Local UK time/date).

xCELERYx   

Don't think I'd change anything. 352 with the same starting eleven. Maybe Rudiger for Cahill if you want to be picky, otherwise same same. Only other change would be Luiz making the bench. 

Cahill is going to start again. Christensen for Luiz is progression enough for a month or two.  

No idea why 3 CBs and 3 CMs would be needed against WBA, or how Pedro can be kept out for Bakayoko. 

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Cahill is going to start again. Christensen for Luiz is progression enough for a month or two.  

No idea why 3 CBs and 3 CMs would be needed against WBA, or how Pedro can be kept out for Bakayoko. 

Conte is by nature a very defensive coach and last year Cesc warmed the bench (undeservedly IMO). At least this year he has chosen to make him a starter.. If he thinks that in order to start Cesc he needs 3 CMs and 3 CBs I'm all for it! If the 3 CMs wind up being Kante Bakayoko and Drinkwater however I might feel a little bit differently.

Honestly, I would much rather have Cesc in the side from the start than have the 2 CMs (matic and kante) in there like we did last season as, even though we had more forwards on the pitch last year, I still feel that last year's 3-4-3 was a more defensive setup than this year's 3-5-2(including Fabregas).

Sciatika   

I know there is a virtue in playing the same people in the same formation, but I think it's nice that I have no idea whether we will play 3-4-3 or 3-5-2.

• Like 1

I don't think Conte has got the balance right in terms of using Fabregas this season. 

But this is the type of game he should be starting. I'd go with;

3421: Courtois; Azpilicueta, Christensen, Cahill; Zappacosta, Fabregas, Kante, Alonso; Pedro, Hazard; Morata

Subs: Caballero, Rudiger, Luiz, Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Willian, Bats

This is a game where I feel we should be more positive than to start with a 3511. 

paulw66   

^^^

proper looking bench now 

although limited attacking options

Edited by paulw66

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

^^^

proper looking bench now 

although limited attacking options

When everyone (minus Moses) is fit we do have a proper match day squad. But two injuries and you see that we don't have real options for players 19-25.

xCELERYx   
17 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Conte is by nature a very defensive coach and last year Cesc warmed the bench (undeservedly IMO). At least this year he has chosen to make him a starter.. If he thinks that in order to start Cesc he needs 3 CMs and 3 CBs I'm all for it! If the 3 CMs wind up being Kante Bakayoko and Drinkwater however I might feel a little bit differently.

Honestly, I would much rather have Cesc in the side from the start than have the 2 CMs (matic and kante) in there like we did last season as, even though we had more forwards on the pitch last year, I still feel that last year's 3-4-3 was a more defensive setup than this year's 3-5-2(including Fabregas).

352 is the better system anyway for most matches because it provides the best balance overall. It's good if you want to play more defensively or if simply under more pressure because of the extra midfield bodies able to cog spaces and close down more of the pitch. But it's also good going the other way because it gives us midfield runners who can surge forward to create numbers, while it generally gives us two attackers upfront at all times.

That ability to have a player or two able to make a run from midfield makes all the difference. They force the opposition midfield to track back further in to their own box, it can mean that defenders need to track the runner and that helps draw less attention to the CF at times. Having only one CB making your CF opposed to two CB's can have a big impact. We all saw the impact that Bakayoko was having by making his surging runs forward against Man Utd and that's not something we get in a 343 system. Which tends to see our attacking midfielders wanting to play more in front of the defence than look to get in behind or make runs off then all. All becomes stagnant and often our out ball for this is "pass it to Hazard" 

33 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

t. We all saw the impact that Bakayoko was having by making his surging runs forward against Man Utd and that's not something we get in a 343 system.

You are telling us that Bakayoko gives us more going forward than Pedro. Curious. 

• Confused 1