• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

West Brom 0 Chelsea 4

Sea foot   

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

You are telling us that Bakayoko gives us more going forward than Pedro. Curious. 

I don't think Zaffo anything of the sort. He was saying that he had an impact. Pedro has an impact. Surely we should be happy to have different options. Why must we choose only one way and try to argue against the other.

3 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

352 is the better system anyway for most matches because it provides the best balance overall. It's good if you want to play more defensively or if simply under more pressure because of the extra midfield bodies able to cog spaces and close down more of the pitch. But it's also good going the other way because it gives us midfield runners who can surge forward to create numbers, while it generally gives us two attackers upfront at all times.

That ability to have a player or two able to make a run from midfield makes all the difference. They force the opposition midfield to track back further in to their own box, it can mean that defenders need to track the runner and that helps draw less attention to the CF at times. Having only one CB making your CF opposed to two CB's can have a big impact. We all saw the impact that Bakayoko was having by making his surging runs forward against Man Utd and that's not something we get in a 343 system. Which tends to see our attacking midfielders wanting to play more in front of the defence than look to get in behind or make runs off then all. All becomes stagnant and often our out ball for this is "pass it to Hazard" 

It could be that Bakayoko caught everyone by surprise with that performance - especially Mourinho IMO. In fact, when I saw the lineup I was again very surprised that Bakayoko was the player pushing forward and not Cesc/Kante. Whether or not Bakayoko will be a viable long term solution in that role will be interesting to see.

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, Sea foot said:

I don't think Zaffo anything of the sort. He was saying that he had an impact. Pedro has an impact. Surely we should be happy to have different options. Why must we choose only one way and try to argue against the other.

Both have their own impact, definitely. Although Bakayoko (in this instance) gave us something we don't get when we play 343 and that's a midfield runner. Pedro brings his own qualities, but he's also often asked to drop deep into a faux CM position and this takes away from his ability to be direct and get in behind teams due his positioning. 

Overall I think our shape and play in the final third works better with Hazard and Morata upfront, and with a runner from midfield making up that extra player. Not only does it allow more space for the two attackers by having less bodies in the central areas, but it also allows us to maximise our use of Fabregas and his qualities. 

There's a flow on effect that happens which isn't just about player vs player directly. 

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

It could be that Bakayoko caught everyone by surprise with that performance - especially Mourinho IMO. In fact, when I saw the lineup I was again very surprised that Bakayoko was the player pushing forward and not Cesc/Kante. Whether or not Bakayoko will be a viable long term solution in that role will be interesting to see.

Nah, I think a few just got caught up in how Bakayoko had been playing since Kante was out injured. You can tell by some of the conversations and comments being left about him lately. The problem is that some of those lost sight in the type of player Bakayoko really is - which is that combative box-to-box midfielder. He's not that holding player that had to fill in for Kante while he was out. Kante plays that role better because he reads the play quicker and his ridiculous ability to cover ground to get into excellent positions. 

IF Bakayoko can bring his passing levels back up to the efficiency he was having at Monaco (high 80's %) - then add some polish to his finishing, he'll be a genuine midfield threat. The fact he's also a big unit also gives him the edge in the air for late runs into the box and provides another target other than Morata. 

There's enough promise shown to be excited about imo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

I think the surprise was that we didn't just sit deep as a team, as we have done a few times against big teams. In particular the WBs played mostly advanced as they did last season when we were beating everyone.   So no surprise Pedro's replacement was allowed to get forward.  Tactically, Baka, Fabregas and  Hazard all regularly wandered into Matic's territory, getting picked up by him, then causing mayhem by leaving Matic behind  and having to be picked up by another defender. Both Hazard and Baka did this in the build up to the goal. 

The question of course is not whether an athletic CM can get forward, but whether he has the technique to cause damage when he gets there, and not just be limited to off the ball runs. 

paulw66   

With the way West Brom are playing, surely we should approach this game with 3 forwards, Hazard, Pedro, Morata?

Get nicely in front, take Hazard and Morata off pre Qarabaq. 

Easy :-)

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

With the way West Brom are playing, surely we should approach this game with 3 forwards, Hazard, Pedro, Morata?

Get nicely in front, take Hazard and Morata off pre Qarabaq. 

Easy :-)

I'd stick with 3 man midfield I think. We're just that much more secure in midfield when we have 2 minders with Cesc.

13 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

I'd stick with 3 man midfield I think. We're just that much more secure in midfield when we have 2 minders with Cesc.

Disagree. There's no midfield battle to be won in this as Brom will sit very deep, most likely in a 5-4-1. We're going to dominate the ball so it makes sense to have more goal scorers on the pitch. 

I'd go the usual 3-4-3 with Cesc and Kante in the middle. 

10 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

Disagree. There's no midfield battle to be won in this as Brom will sit very deep, most likely in a 5-4-1. We're going to dominate the ball so it makes sense to have more goal scorers on the pitch. 

I'd go the usual 3-4-3 with Cesc and Kante in the middle. 

Yes, I see where you're coming from, but I still feel that we never look comfortable in matches we play with just 1 other CM alongside Cesc, no matter who the opposition is and how they play.