• Current Donation Goals

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Champions League match against Qarabag at Baku National Stadium before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 17:00, Wednesday, 22nd November, 2017 (Local UK time/date).

Rob B   

Approach seriously definitely, but would still be inclined to make a few changes for this one (3-4-3):

Courtois, Rudi, Luiz, Cahill;  Moses (if fit), Kante, Drinkwater, Alonso, Pedro, Morata, Willian.

Should still have more than enough quality whilst giving rests for Azpi, Christensen, Hazard, Baka and Cesc before Liverpool.  Kenedy on the bench ready to replace Alonso if/when we take a healthy lead.  

jones   

Really difficult decision: rest a few key players for Liverpool, or go all out in Azerbaijan? 

Securing CL advancement should be top priority, and the most important thing is letting our golden trio (Cesc, Eden, Morata) continue. Rudiger, Luiz and Moses could be included here without hampering our chances. The only other player I'd consider here is Drinkwater over Bakayoko. I'd go with these two line-ups in our two next matches:

Qarabag 3-5-2: Courtois - Azpi, Luiz, Rudiger - Moses, Fabregas, Kante, Drinkwater, Alonso - Hazard, Morata.

Liverpool 3-4-3: Courtois - Azpi, Christensen, Cahill - Zappacosta, Kante, Bakayoko, Alonso - Hazard, Morata, Pedro. Fabregas needs a rest at some point, and Pedro could be good on the break here. 

Strongest team for this one. We have more chance of winning the champions league than the premier league so this game has to be the priority.

kev61   
10 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Strongest team for this one. We have more chance of winning the champions league than the premier league so this game has to be the priority.

I second that.Daft as it might sound I think we have the team to win the champions league this year.There are no teams to fear with the squad we have.I honestly think we are the team to beat if we play like we did against athletico.

Yes, go strong for this, secure qualification, and worry about the upcoming games later.

Even though we destroyed them at home, I thought they were a decent team which they've proved in the proceeding games. They pressed us very high in the reverse fixture and were pretty good, except for in both boxes. We played very well that day and made them pay.

We're going to have to play well again and not go with an attitude of just having to show up. I imagine Conte will reinforce that. 

paulw66   
45 minutes ago, A Blue Essien said:

Yes, go strong for this, secure qualification, and worry about the upcoming games later.

Even though we destroyed them at home, I thought they were a decent team which they've proved in the proceeding games. They pressed us very high in the reverse fixture and were pretty good, except for in both boxes. We played very well that day and made them pay.

We're going to have to play well again and not go with an attitude of just having to show up. I imagine Conte will reinforce that. 

In the home game I thought they resembled a Championship team. We won 6-0 without playing all that well. 

The results since then have proved very different. Have to go and win, then we can relax at home to AM

In fact, if we win in Baku, and Roma win in AM, I would play a complete reserve side in the last game.  

jones   

Tough test for Conte this. These two upcoming games are paramount both to our push in PL and CL. I'd say it is impossible to go full strength three matches in eight days where we travel between Birmingham, Azerbaijan and Liverpool. Needs to use his squad smartly over the next few weeks. Results will have massive impact on our season and Conte's future.

• Two wins and we secure CL qualification as well as we increase the distance to Liverpool to six points
  • Two losses and we face Atletico at home with a lot of pressure and everything to lose, and Liverpool (and most likely Arsenal) will have equal amount of points as we also effectively drop out of the title race 12 points off CIty

Liked the look of these two line-ups.

https://twitter.com/GrantJames_CFC/status/932520347080982528

Edited by jones