• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Qarabag 0 Chelsea 4

paulw66   
17 minutes ago, jones said:

Tough test for Conte this. These two upcoming games are paramount both to our push in PL and CL. I'd say it is impossible to go full strength three matches in eight days where we travel between Birmingham, Azerbaijan and Liverpool. Needs to use his squad smartly over the next few weeks. Results will have massive impact on our season and Conte's future.

• Two wins and we secure CL qualification as well as we increase the distance to Liverpool to six points
  • Two losses and we face Atletico at home with a lot of pressure and everything to lose, and Liverpool (and most likely Arsenal) will have equal amount of points as we also effectively drop out of the title race 12 points off CIty

Liked the look of these two line-ups.

https://twitter.com/GrantJames_CFC/status/932520347080982528

Luckily, the last half hour on Saturday was walking pace. Would be wonderful for the same on Wednesday 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

In the home game I thought they resembled a Championship team. We won 6-0 without playing all that well. 

Forest are a mid-table Championship team, and Forest looked a lot lot better 1 week later.

Given the intention of the club to have few players, I think we might just as well make it an easy game for the stars that play, rather than rest them and risk that they are playing flat out in the 2nd half.
Go for a 3-0 lead H1 with the best players, after all we know that Qarabag will sit for the first 80 mins.

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Luckily, the last half hour on Saturday was walking pace. Would be wonderful for the same on Wednesday 

Yes.  Better walk after the game has been won, than risk leaving it to a frantic finish.

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Forest are a mid-table Championship team, and Forest looked a lot lot better 1 week later.

Given the intention of the club to have few players, I think we might just as well make it an easy game for the stars that play, rather than rest them and risk that they are playing flat out in the 2nd half.
Go for a 3-0 lead H1 with the best players, after all we know that Qarabag will sit for the first 80 mins.

Yes.  Better walk after the game has been won, than risk leaving it to a frantic finish.

Yup, agreed. Let's put the game to bed and haul off our best 3 players ASAP. 

8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Yup, agreed. Let's put the game to bed and haul off our best 3 players ASAP. 

It's difficult to say who those 3 players are.

Hazard, Fabregas, Kanté?

Hazard, Kanté, Morata?

Hazard, Azpilicueta, Alonso?

We have at least 7 untouchables now and they're all going to need some rests during this marathon run of games up until mid-January.

35 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

It's difficult to say who those 3 players are.

Hazard, Fabregas, Kanté?

Hazard, Kanté, Morata?

Hazard, Azpilicueta, Alonso?

We have at least 7 untouchables now and they're all going to need some rests during this marathon run of games up until mid-January.

I'm not sure we do have 7 untouchables right now.  Not on current form.    4 or 5.

Except for the fact that we only have about 4 fit players on the bench  :)

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm not sure we do have 7 untouchables right now.  Not on current form.    4 or 5.

Except for the fact that we only have about 4 fit players on the bench  :)

Courtois, Azpilicueta, Alonso, Kanté, Fabregas, Hazard and Morata should play all of our important games. I'd include Christensen but he does at least have a decent back-up in the squad.

I would certainly have said Alonso early this season, but then his form drifted.  Last two games have been good.  Morata too has been up and down.   But it is a purely hypothetical question. 

The coices are Pedro or Bakayoko or Drinkwater, and 3 CBs out of 5. 

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I would certainly have said Alonso early this season, but then his form drifted.  Last two games have been good.  Morata too has been up and down.   But it is a purely hypothetical question. 

The coices are Pedro or Bakayoko or Drinkwater, and 3 CBs out of 5. 

Yes I don't think Alonso is untouchable because of his form, but because of the lack of credible alternatives. 

The other choice we have is at RWB. 4 spots up for grabs out of the 11.

21 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Yes I don't think Alonso is untouchable because of his form, but because of the lack of credible alternatives. 

The other choice we have is at RWB. 4 spots up for grabs out of the 11.

:) maybe the right word is unreplaceable rather than untouchable.
When JM used the untouchable word he was describing how difficult it was to find a place in the team for some very good alternatives on the bench.

Play a back 4 with Azpilicueta at left back. Means Alonso, as much as I like him, does have an alternative. We seem too set in playing a back 5 when at times a back 4 would allow us a much more balanced side and also allow us to rest some players that otherwise have to play every game.

I've seen City, United, Arsenal and Tottenham all switch between a back 4 and a back 5 in the last couple of years. We just seem determined not to even think about it. Which is strange considering Conte is supposedly renowned for being tactically versatile. 

Edited by Martin1905