• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Qarabag 0 Chelsea 4

9 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Musonda or Ampadu get game time in this fixture at some point.

Injured and ineligible.

9 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Maybe, just maybe, it's because Conte started with a back four here to begin with when he took over. Gave it a fair run in both pre-season and the beginning of the season and we were extremely underwhelming. Since changing to a back three, we've been a far more balance and cohesive unit be it in a 343 or 352 system. 

There's good reason we aren't using a back four and that's because we're a better side with a back three, like it or not. 

And for whatever it's worth - Conte's favourite formation is actually 424. It's what he used at Bari, Siena and started off with at Juventus, Italy and here. So, he's not adverse to using it if it's viable.

The change to the back 5 coincided with the arrival of Luiz and Alonso. I might be wrong but I don't remember either of them playing much in a back 4, if at all. Maybe those two players comimg in made a difference as much as any change in formation?  Another major issue last year was how deep we sat with out putting any pressure on the ball in our own half. The switch to a back 5 also bought a change of tactics.  Maybe adding Luiz and Alonso to the back 4 and actually putting a bit of pressure on the ball would have had the same result? Maybe not, but to just completely dismiss a back 4 is stupidity. City , United, Arsenal and Tottenham all change from a 4 to a 5 depending on who they play. If we want an extra man in midfield play a back 4. Simple.

Anyway, I have no issue with the back 5. I had no problem with it last year and thought it worked well. What I have an issue with is the sudden switch to playing with 7 defensive players. If we wanted to bring in an extra man in midfield, then in my opinion we would have been better off switching to a back 4. 

One of the main reasons for our recent success, and indeed all our success, has been our front 3 and yes Willian was a major part of that.  Maybe not last year, after his mum died, but certainty two years before he was. 

Some people are saying thay we can't play a front 3 as we only have Pedro and Willian as alternatives. That to me is one of the biggest problems.  Why on earth did we not bring someone in this summer. Or maybe not let a ridiculous amount of attacking players leave since Conte came in and only sign 2. It's quite clear this is what Conte wants.  He couldn't quite do it last year but now he can and if people are happy watching this then good for them. I'm seeing beyond a couple of good results against the likes of West Brom and thinking how on earth can we compete with the best teams in Europe like this? I don't think we can.

I will never get my head around sacrificing a part of our team that has been so successful in recent years to bring in abother defensive player when we already have 6 in the starting line up. I remember when people used to argue we didn't need a single defensive midfielder in games at home where we were expected to win comfortably.  Almost everybody would have said we didn't need Mikel in an awful lot of games. Maybe it's more of a sign of where we are now compared to then but I will still not accept playing 2 defensive midfielders with a back 5.

We are 100% reliant on Fabregas and Hazard.  They are both playing at the top of their game right now but as soon as one of them doesn't we will struggle to beat anybody. The problem we have is we can not afford to drop many more  points if we want to catch City. Playing with 7 defensive players is not the way to do that.

Edited by Martin1905

Horrible fixture management by the premier league and the broadcasters, travelling back from Azerbaijan Wednesday evening and then having to travel up to play Liverpool Saturday afternoon is ridiculous - we'll do well to come out of Saturday's game with no injuries after all the travelling time the players will have had with little recovery time.

Need to win this one comfortably so that the second half can be played at 70-80% to try and keep players fresh. I expect Conte to go hard early on to try and kill the game off but also resting some key players, so would expect to see:

Courtois

Azpi Luiz Rudiger

Zappacosta Kante Drinkwater Alonso

Pedro Morata Hazard

Subs: Caballero, Cahill, Christensen, Scott, Fabregas, Bakayoko, Willian

This team has more than enough to get a result and hopefully get a decent lead early on to give Hazard, Morata and Alonso a rest.

paulw66   
5 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

The change to the back 5 coincided with the arrival of Luiz and Alonso. I might be wrong but I don't remember either of them playing much in a back 4, if at all. Maybe those two players comimg in made a difference as much as any change in formation?  A

Luiz played a few games in the 4, before the switch to the 3. Alonso didn't start a game until 3 at the back came in

paulw66   
15 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Assuming Roma don't cock this up 

Well, I wouldn't go that far.......if Roma draw in Madrid, which is a decent result, and beat Qarabag, and we win our last 2 games, we top the group. I wouldn't say that would be "cocking things up".

If we win tonight, and we play first don't forget, then Roma failing to win in Madrid would put us back in charge of the group. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

Well, I wouldn't go that far.......if Roma draw in Madrid, which is a decent result, and beat Qarabag, and we win our last 2 games, we top the group. I wouldn't say that would be "cocking things up".

If we win tonight, and we play first don't forget, then Roma failing to win in Madrid would put us back in charge of the group. 

Looking at who's currently second in their group this may be one of those years when winning the group doesn't do you any favours at all.

Morata gets a rest then...

Courtois

Azpi, Luiz, Rudiger

Zappacosta, Kante, Fabregas, Alonso

Willian, Hazard, Pedro

Bench: Caballero, Cahill, Christensen, Sterling, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Morata

So Christensen starts at Liverpool, good.

I'd like to have seen Morata start, but it may be that we have so much possession that a target man would add little.

paulw66   
19 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Morata gets a rest then...

Courtois

Azpi, Luiz, Rudiger

Zappacosta, Kante, Fabregas, Alonso

Willian, Hazard, Pedro

Bench: Caballero, Cahill, Christensen, Sterling, Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Morata

Sensible rotation. Hazard, Kante and Fabregas all got taken off on Saturday. Pedro and Willian must both be fresh. Zappa hasn't played much. Alonso is the one that doesn't get a break!