• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Qarabag 0 Chelsea 4

kev61   

A good champions league campaign in general.We were in a difficult group with Athletico and especially Roma as it turned out.Play Roma next week and we would beat them - they got us at  the right time for them.

We are starting to play as a unit again.Would you want us in the knock out stages in the champions league?....I wouldn't.

The Christmas period is going to be huge as it always is,but I'm confident we have the squad(fitness of certain players depending)to advance.

A special mention to Willian tonight - him and Hazard man of the match.This is what Willian can do - a bit more consistency is needed  but he is a joy to watch,on form.

So AM beat Roma 2-0.  Means We are through, so are Roma assuming they beat Carrier bag.  In which case we must win if we want first place in the group.  

Willian MoM. Two goals and two penalties. 

Felt strange to have a ref who gave us what we deserved. It was almost like cheating. 

Like someone said, is this how it feels to be Barca? 

Good, professional performance in a hostile environment. Good to see Willian get a couple of goals; we need the likes of him and Pedro to step up when offered the chance. 

It's great to go through, but we'll still have to play a full strength team against Atletico to try to keep the top spot. Sensible bit of rotation as well, though I was a bit surprised by some of the substitutions. Not sure why Morata was brought on, even if it was only 25 minutes. No damage done, I guess, and it keeps him sharp. He actually should have got a hat trick! For some one as quality as he is, he needs to work on his finishing. Still, I'd rather he miss when we're 3-0 up against a 10 man minnow.

Was also surprised Fabregas was kept on for the entirety of the game. I'm assuming he'll start against Liverpool so that was a bit odd.

But all in all, it went as well as we could have hoped. Europe in February beckons. 

paulw66   
14 hours ago, Phoenix Blue said:

Cannot believe that's a penalty!!!

It was clear. Pulled his shirt in the penalty area. 

14 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

2 actual penalties, one goal prevented, 2 penalties and a Red card.
Lucky its not the prem or they'd have us down on our knees apologising and force the ref into Hari Kiri.

Yup. At first glance they both looked soft, but both were fouls. 

10 hours ago, kev61 said:

A good champions league campaign in general.We were in a difficult group with Athletico and especially Roma as it turned out.Play Roma next week and we would beat them - they got us at  the right time for them.

Extremely fortunate that AM somehow failed to beat Qarabag. Twice. Imagine if they had won just won of those and were on 8 points. What a finale we would have had. 

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Willian MoM. Two goals and two penalties. 

Felt strange to have a ref who gave us what we deserved. It was almost like cheating. 

Yes. Felt very strange. If that referee had done the WBA game, I am not sure they would have ended up with more than about 7 players on the field. 

chara   

The real talking point of course is the penalty calls. We all seem to have had the same initial reaction..soft pens and harsh red BUT..really just emphasizes the terrible decision making in the Prem. They were not "soft" pens, both were real fouls in the area. The second call by the ref if you watch a replay from a different angle shows the ref with a very clear straight view of the incident and had no doubt about the second pen. We are just so used to refs bottling it for what reason I do not really know.

The red was the right call according to the laws of the game..last man and goal chance denying challenge. We just are conditioned to such a result being the response to basically a gbh type assault!

Good result and onward to anfield.(small case!)

2 hours ago, chara said:

The real talking point of course is the penalty calls. We all seem to have had the same initial reaction..soft pens and harsh red BUT..really just emphasizes the terrible decision making in the Prem. They were not "soft" pens, both were real fouls in the area. The second call by the ref if you watch a replay from a different angle shows the ref with a very clear straight view of the incident and had no doubt about the second pen. We are just so used to refs bottling it for what reason I do not really know.

The red was the right call according to the laws of the game..last man and goal chance denying challenge. We just are conditioned to such a result being the response to basically a gbh type assault!

Good result and onward to anfield.(small case!)

Quite so Chara.

jones   
13 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

It did, didn't it. They were both fouls, but have to say the second was extremely soft. I would be furious if we conceded a pen like that. The first one I wouldn't even blink. 

Neither would have been pens to Chelsea in the PL. Liverpool would have gotten the first.