• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Swansea City 0

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Swansea City at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 19:45, Wednesday 29th November, 2017 (Local UK time/date).

jones   

Think Willian has played himself into the starting XI, and Bakayoko has played himself out. Against Swansea, Kante+Fabregas should be okay in CM. Zappa has started three in a row, and Moses is fit and is going to start. Also think Rudiger is needed for a game like this. Would like to see:

Courtois

Azpi Christensen Rudiger

Moses Fabregas Kanté Alonso

Willian Morata Hazard

Given the high load / low rotation to date, it may be that injuries are the best way individual players can refresh and return to form.
Hazard started the season injured and returned looking great.
Drinkwater has forced his way into the team and looks very impressive IMO.
Kante is in great form after missing a few.
Willian has effectively had a break, of nearly a month without starting for us (though I see the nice convenient away game as sub for Brazil in England followed a game where he played 90 mins in Japan 4 days earlier, both friendlies - who books those Brazil games?)

We'll see how Bats and Moses are either ever gets back to the first team.
Right now it looks like Alonso needs a break, and of course given how few options Conte has, it is quite likely that several are carrying injuries they cannot talk about.

5 weak PL games in a row now, the teams currently 19th, 14th, 18th, 10th, 13th and 16th, with home games against Athletico (who'd need a win AND a carrier bag win in Rome to make a difference, so not much expectation from them) and Bournemouth in the LC.  

Perhaps the time is right to play as we should - the finishing team from the Liverpool game.

jones   
52 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Perhaps the time is right to play as we should - the finishing team from the Liverpool game.

With Pedro at RWB, you mean?

No, there is not currently a static "play as we should". We have a higher quality in our 11-16 outfield players than we have had in a long time, and that is a strength because it keeps more players on their toes, reduces the risk of burn-out and limits the damage of injuries. The characteristics of these 16 players differ a lot, so it allows us to play different formations. Both 3-5-2 and 3-4-3 works. We can change from game to game, which makes it more difficult for the opposition to beat us tactically. Obviously a strength too.

I have said for some time that City's main strength is the quality of their 17 outfield players. They have a smaller squad than most, but they can rotate most of their players without seeing a big drop in quality. Players can rest more often, and very few players are certain to start. They know sub par performances can bench them the next game.

The quality of City's 17 are slightly higher than the quality of ours. But the biggest reason to the 11 point margin is that we have been more unfortunate with injuries and missing personell this season than them. Hazard, Morata, Kanté all being out at crucial moments, and our CM has suffered big time from injuries at the same time. If we had avoided the injuries to Hazard and Kanté we would not have been too far behind.

The key going forward is to continue to increase the quality of the 17 outfield players we have in our squad, and continue to have different type of quality to be more flexible and versatile.

28 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I'd play Luiz in midfield with Drinkwater and Bakayoko and put Kante up front alongside Morata for this one 

I think Rudiger could do a job alongside Kante.  

5 hours ago, jones said:

The quality of City's 17 are slightly higher than the quality of ours. But the biggest reason to the 11 point margin is that we have been more unfortunate with injuries and missing personell this season than them

Hardly.  They have had more injuries than us.
The real reason they are doing so well is that they can start with  2 attacking FBs and 5 rapid and skilfull AMs with more to spare on the bench.  Oddly the only position they have been short in is CBs, which of course has always been the easiest position on the pitch to cover.

The point being that the best players play as AMs wherever you start them, the not quite the best players drift backwards into defence.  That is why they cost so much more than ordinary players.

10 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I'd play Luiz in midfield with Drinkwater and Bakayoko and put Kante up front alongside Morata for this one 

No , you'd play Willian and Pedro as wing backs with Michy in a midfield two with Hazard

7 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

No , you'd play Willian and Pedro as wing backs with Michy in a midfield two with Hazard

Not quite, what I would do however is have more than 2 attackers on the pitch. I don't think that's too much to ask, personally.

A nice standard 2-0 win for this one hopefully. Swansea aren't in great form  and dont have Abraham of course. A properly motivated Chelsea should hoover the points up here.