• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Atletico Madrid 1

Recommended Posts

 

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Champions League match against Atletico Madrid at Stamford Bridge, before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 19:45, Tuesday, 5th December, 2017 (Local UK time/date).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jones   

Going by current standings this is a must-win.

Falling to 2nd will mean we either meet Barcelona, PSG or Besiktas. 67% chance of facing a top team. 

The current number twos are Basel, Bayern, Juve, Shakthar, Real, Sevilla, Porto. 43% chance of facing a top team.

I also consider PSG and Barca to be the top two teams in Europe at the moment. Full strength side needed:

Courtois

Azpi Christensen Cahill

Moses Fabregas Kanté Bakayoko Alonso

Eden Morata

Hopefully, Atletico will rest a few players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jones said:

Going by current standings this is a must-win.

Falling to 2nd will mean we either meet Barcelona, PSG or Besiktas. 67% chance of facing a top team. 

The current number twos are Basel, Bayern, Juve, Shakthar, Real, Sevilla, Porto. 43% chance of facing a top team.

I also consider PSG and Barca to be the top two teams in Europe at the moment. Full strength side needed:

Courtois

Azpi Christensen Cahill

Moses Fabregas Kanté Bakayoko Alonso

Eden Morata

Hopefully, Atletico will rest a few players.

Why would they rest a few players... a win against us and Qarabag beating Roma means they go through! It may be the slimmest of slim chances, but Simeone won't lie down without a fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Why would they rest a few players... a win against us and Qarabag beating Roma means they go through! It may be the slimmest of slim chances, but Simeone won't lie down without a fight.

After AMs results to date, I suspect a win against us is as unlikely as a Qarabag win in Rome (and Roma actually have an incentive to win that).

But it does promise to be interesting - a draw for AM helps them not at all.  A draw for us makes no difference to us.  But a victory for them gives them a faint chance of 2nd place and a victory for us guarantees first place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Why would they rest a few players... a win against us and Qarabag beating Roma means they go through! It may be the slimmest of slim chances, but Simeone won't lie down without a fight.

If I was Ateltico, I wouldn't hold a hope that Roma will fail to beat Qarabag. If it was away, then possibly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jones said:

Going by current standings this is a must-win.

Falling to 2nd will mean we either meet Barcelona, PSG or Besiktas. 67% chance of facing a top team. 

The current number twos are Basel, Bayern, Juve, Shakthar, Real, Sevilla, Porto. 43% chance of facing a top team.

I also consider PSG and Barca to be the top two teams in Europe at the moment. Full strength side needed:

Courtois

Azpi Christensen Cahill

Moses Fabregas Kanté Bakayoko Alonso

Eden Morata

Hopefully, Atletico will rest a few players.

I think I'd swap Baka for Drinkwater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

If I was Ateltico, I wouldn't hold a hope that Roma will fail to beat Qarabag. If it was away, then possibly. 

Do you honestly think Simeone won't want to field the strongest team he can, just in case? How many times have we seen a supposedly superior team lose to underdogs? Even if it's just a 1% chance, Simeone will try to go for the win. To guarantee top spot, we also need to win. I can't see either manager putting out a weakened side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Yes AM will probably field their best team (though that wasn't Paul's point).  They only have 4 serious domestic games a season.  5 days to their next game against a mid-level Spanish team.  A week later till a game at bottom of the table Alaves.

And yes,  a 1% chance for Qarabag is about right.  You can actually get 45-1 at the bookies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Holymoly   
11 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

They only have 4 serious domestic games a season.  5 days to their next game against a mid-level Spanish team.  A week later till a game at bottom of the table Alaves.

I think Valencia and Seville could be added to that list tbh this season, but I get your point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I think Valencia and Seville could be added to that list tbh this season, but I get your point.

Valencia finished 32 points behind AM last season.  I bet they aren't still close at the end of the season.  Besides AM will get a big boost in January when a certain CF is allowed to play for them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.