• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Atletico Madrid 1

Vinod   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

and there was me thinking we have just won 2 titles. Damn potential. 

You are right; but the one person to lead the charge was Diego Costa who was a high performance asset when bought. We had experienced players to call on across the pitch.

I am happy with the way things are, but I am well aware that we are nowhere in the league of European powerhouses. We haven't been in that league for years now. That is where we were for a long long time. We might still win the Premier League this season; but let us be under no illusions - there is a lot of work to do. Keep going like this and we will find it immensely difficult to hold on the few world class players we have. 

On December 7, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Droy was my hero said:

Except that the defensive team against AM conceded a goal and failed to score, while the attacking team scored and failed to conced.

Exactly the same against Liverpool

We have a crap defence.  We have a gloriously effective attack when picked.

We can all say we have against defensive football.  I was always happy when JM defended or RDM defended all the way to the CL.  But those teams could defend against top top teams.  This one can't.!!!

What we have to simply admit is that the current back 5 plus Baka plus Kante is not a great defensive team.  Unable to defend against not quite as good sides such as Liverpool or AM without conceding.

The front 3:  Morata, Hazard, Willian/Pedro backed by Fabregas is a superb attacking force.  Quite able to score in 30 mins against not quite as good sides even when those teams are defending a lead.

That 4 of those 5 superb attackers were handed to Conte, whereas he has built all the defence except Cahill and Courtoisis an interesting sidenote.

"Crap defence" is very harsh. Alonso, Cahill, Christensen, Azpili, Moses and Kante are a very decent defensive unit IMO. I'm surprised that Conte's approach is such a surprise for people on here. Anyone who at least watched the Euros before he took over would have known what to expect. His approach is also very effective. Exceptional sides (like City) will undo it but I for one fully expect us to be in the mix at the end of the season.

11 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

"Crap defence" is very harsh. Alonso, Cahill, Christensen, Azpili, Moses and Kante are a very decent defensive unit IMO. I'm surprised that Conte's approach is such a surprise for people on here. Anyone who at least watched the Euros before he took over would have known what to expect. His approach is also very effective. Exceptional sides (like City) will undo it but I for one fully expect us to be in the mix at the end of the season.

One would have thought they were decent defensively.  One would have thought it was an effective apprach.  Never the less in 2 games against quit decent oppo we have sought to shut out the other side, and ended up conceding and calling for the cavalry to bail us out.

Too often the defence is failing us.  Too often the players who should have started are getting 20mins to put things right.