• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

Andreas Christensen

Strange there is no specific thread on Christensen. The boys doing good. He looks solid assured and not afraid to carry the ball when the chance arises. Game time can only improve this. Well done Antonio for having the faith

Edited by exiledblue
text size
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Strange there is no specific thread on Christensen.

Not 'strange'. Most of the young players who we sign don't have their own thread, just due to the numbers involved, and the fact that most tend to disappear out on loan.

7 hours ago, exiledblue said:

The boys doing good. He looks solid assured and not afraid to carry the ball when the chance arises. Game time can only improve this. Well done Antonio for having the faith

Absolutely. He's a genuine talent and can only get better with more games.

Sea foot   

Didn't really know a great deal about him before this season but I am now a huge fan. He seems so much older than he really is. Great addition to the team.

19 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

Didn't really know a great deal about him before this season but I am now a huge fan. He seems so much older than he really is. Great addition to the team.

Yes, 62 games for Borrusia Munchengladbach, 14 for Denmark at full level.  That explains why he has grown up.  Proof that the only problem with the loan program is the randomness of the players that go into it.

xCELERYx   

Has been mature beyond his years since he got a starting gig. His composure on the ball and efficiency with using it has really impressed the most when under pressure. Not uncommon for defenders to panic a bit but he keeps his cool and keeps things simple.  

Still a few areas of his game that need a bit of work - I think he could get stronger in the air at times, but overall hard to not be anything but impressed so far.

On 04/12/2017 at 0:57 PM, exiledblue said:

Well done Antonio for having the faith

This ...

15 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes, 62 games for Borrusia Munchengladbach, 14 for Denmark at full level. 

... and this ...

What I'm seeing is a young player who didn't particularly need a lot, possibly any, 'faith'. The most impressive thing about Christensen has been how quietly and consistently 7/10 he's been. He's not not someone you could describe as having 'burst' through, he's not doing that 'potential' thing of looking brilliant one moment and unsteady the next. He's just being a top four PL footballer. I know the 'giving youth a chance' debate will rage eternal, but I see this as less a case of a young player showing what they can do when a manager takes a chance and more a young player simply being good enough to get picked. Christensen is head and shoulders above any other young player we have on our books and it hasn't taken too much to show it.

Looking forward to his first goal!

16 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Still a few areas of his game that need a bit of work - I think he could get stronger in the air at times, but overall hard to not be anything but impressed so far.

Not been coached enough by an Italian yet, I guess that is your problem.

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not been coached enough by an Italian yet, I guess that is your problem.

... we all know what your problem is!

xCELERYx   
9 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

This ...

... and this ...

What I'm seeing is a young player who didn't particularly need a lot, possibly any, 'faith'. The most impressive thing about Christensen has been how quietly and consistently 7/10 he's been. He's not not someone you could describe as having 'burst' through, he's not doing that 'potential' thing of looking brilliant one moment and unsteady the next. He's just being a top four PL footballer. I know the 'giving youth a chance' debate will rage eternal, but I see this as less a case of a young player showing what they can do when a manager takes a chance and more a young player simply being good enough to get picked. Christensen is head and shoulders above any other young player we have on our books and it hasn't taken too much to show it.

Looking forward to his first goal!

While a lot of this is down to ability, I think a huge part is that he's been able to play consistent football the last couple of seasons at a good level. With that under his belt by the time he's come back he's a more mature player and has a more senior football mentality and game. A lot of our other players who have talent haven't had this same path. They've either gone out on lower league loans - or when they've had bigger loans they've not been able to establish themselves. Or in cases like RLC haven't had any real exposure to senior football besides a handful of cameo appearances and the odd start in a cup game. 

That's not really much of a platform to build on to make it at a club like ours. Young players who want to make it need to already be of a high enough standard where they are able to string together consistent performances. That allows a manager to trust the player more and in turn can mean more game time. 

Conte spoke of something like this when talking about Bakayoko and Chalobah. About being similar ages but in terms of their football experience and education, Bakayoko is miles ahead. Christensen has had that and it's served him well thus far. 

7 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

While a lot of this is down to ability, I think a huge part is that he's been able to play consistent football the last couple of seasons at a good level. With that under his belt by the time he's come back he's a more mature player and has a more senior football mentality and game. A lot of our other players who have talent haven't had this same path. They've either gone out on lower league loans - or when they've had bigger loans they've not been able to establish themselves. Or in cases like RLC haven't had any real exposure to senior football besides a handful of cameo appearances and the odd start in a cup game. 

That's not really much of a platform to build on to make it at a club like ours. Young players who want to make it need to already be of a high enough standard where they are able to string together consistent performances. That allows a manager to trust the player more and in turn can mean more game time. 

Conte spoke of something like this when talking about Bakayoko and Chalobah. About being similar ages but in terms of their football experience and education, Bakayoko is miles ahead. Christensen has had that and it's served him well thus far. 

This is why Musonda hasn't been trusted and RLC needs to continue his current level, and possibly continue it for another year, before he'll be a realistic first team option.

For better or for worse, there's no way Conte would give real responsibility to a kid without a solid background in high-level football. Christensen had the perfect pathway and one that's difficult to replicate. New loanees like Mason Mount may be very talented but a Vitesse loan won't be enough to propel them into first team contention. A season or two in a top league with ideally plenty of European experience is what they need - exactly the same as if we were buying a new player.

This will continue until we change the club's footballing structure.