• Current Donation Goals

exiledblue

Andreas Christensen

26 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

I really like him and I'm sure it won't be long before he is irreplaceable but I don't think he's quite yet the finished article in a back four. He was superb in our 3. Dave, Luiz and Ruddy was a great combo.

All the CBs should have been superb in a back 3 - there were bloody well 3 of them after all.  And 2 conventional FBs AND Kante.
Yet we conceded 38 goals with a back 3 - we have only conceded more 3 times in 15 post RA seasons (and just once in the 5 pre-RA seasons).
Perhaps they weren't such a great combo at all - perhaps rather they (or the set up) were crap.

But no surprise they look a bit mortal in a back 2.  

17 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It never ceases to amaze this forum.........Christensen was brilliant last season, but a couple of errors in high profile games.

If we let a quality defender of his age go, it will be criminal. He is 22, played 20 times for Denmark, and 20 CL games

What is more, if we put him up for sale, you look who is in the queue...........it will be Barca, RM, Man City. Mark my words. 

when people complain about the lack of game time for RLC, they are the same age, but compare CVs 

Certainly the case for Christensen is more balanced than Rubbish vs genius kid.  

But also the interests of club and player are not necessarily in line right now.

I think the real issue right now is that Luiz has played well and is ideally suited to the Sarriball game.  And that Rudiger has played well and is ideally suited to a team that has picked Luiz.

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Perhaps they weren't such a great combo at all

Well it was the combo that turned the season on its head and won us the title...or maybe that was more down to Alonso and Moses?

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

He's barely played !

It's amazing - on the one hand, "give the kids a chance" and then, "that  kid made a mistake, get rid" 

Well that's why he wants to leave apparently. Phrases like "I'm 22 now and I want to be playing football" mean if I'm not first choice here I will probably be somewhere else. 

And he played plenty last season....more than he could ever have imagined at the start of the season. The fact remains that Conte dropped him and Sarri doesn't seem to want to pick him. Maybe you should turn your cross hairs towards the coaches?

24 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

Well that's why he wants to leave apparently. Phrases like "I'm 22 now and I want to be playing football" mean if I'm not first choice here I will probably be somewhere else. 

No - phrases like that mean he is being interviewed by the Danish press corps at the start of an international fortnight, and wants to demonstrate that he is determined to be a regular starter for a club side in order to maximise his ability to perform for Denmark.

I'm pretty sure he tells his wife/girlfriend and agent something quite different, about maximising income by sitting on the bench at a big club and not giving up half his income just to guarantee more Danish caps.

We go through this at every international break with one player or another.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

did you watch any Chelsea games last season?

The real question here is: did you watch any Chelsea games last season?

Quite ludicrous to claim that Christensen was “brilliant” last season.

Solid, yes (during the first half of the season at least). A better than expected first season for a guy who was supposed to be competing with Luiz, Cahill, Rudiger and Azpili - perhaps. But brilliant? Please don’t make yourself look silly.

Also, can you point out who he would be replacing from Varane, Ramos, Pique, Umtiti, Kompany, Otamendi, Stones, Laporte or any other top team for that matter? Especially last season when RM won the UCL, France won the World Cup, Barca won the league and City walked the Prem. Has to be one of the most bizarre suggestions ever posted on this forum.

34 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

No - phrases like that mean he is being interviewed by the Danish press corps at the start of an international fortnight, and wants to demonstrate that he is determined to be a regular starter for a club side in order to maximise his ability to perform for Denmark.

I'm pretty sure he tells his wife/girlfriend and agent something quite different, about maximising income by sitting on the bench at a big club and not giving up half his income just to guarantee more Danish caps.

We go through this at every international break with one player or another.

This.

Not worried by the quotes, I'd be more worried if he was happy not playing. Some of it is almost certainly lost in translation. 

Up until the point where his form dropped but a certain manager wouldn't rest him he was, as Paul quite rightly say, brilliant. For a player of his age, in his position to step in and play like he did is pretty much unheard of. I saw a lot of him before his loan to Germany and I can honestly say, as I have a few times on here in the past, he is without question the best young centre back I have seen since JT.

To lose him now would be criminal, especially when we consider the age of Luiz and Cahill.

As for Rudiger, I'm not sure if I would swap him for any other centre half in the world. Absolutely love him and he's only going to get better.

• Like 1

paulw66   
16 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

The real question here is: did you watch any Chelsea games last season?

Quite ludicrous to claim that Christensen was “brilliant” last season.

Solid, yes (during the first half of the season at least). A better than expected first season for a guy who was supposed to be competing with Luiz, Cahill, Rudiger and Azpili - perhaps. But brilliant? Please don’t make yourself look silly.

Also, can you point out who he would be replacing from Varane, Ramos, Pique, Umtiti, Kompany, Otamendi, Stones, Laporte or any other top team for that matter? Especially last season when RM won the UCL, France won the World Cup, Barca won the league and City walked the Prem. Has to be one of the most bizarre suggestions ever posted on this forum.

Well, it's all about opinions. In the first half of last season in particular, I thought he was brilliant. He made a couple of high profile errors that got punished in the Feb/March, the most obvious one being home to Barca, but for a 21 year old in his first season in the PL, yes I thought he was largely brilliant. His composure is what generally stood out for me for someone so young. 

When his loan spell at BM ended, there was talk that Barca were interested, and when we played City at home Pep was clearly impressed. In terms of Barca, Real and City, AC is 10+ years younger than Pique, Ramos or Kompany. I am not saying (and I didn't say) he would walk into their first team(s), but they would certainly be interested IMO.

paulw66   
14 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Not worried by the quotes, I'd be more worried if he was happy not playing. Some of it is almost certainly lost in translation. 

Up until the point where his form dropped but a certain manager wouldn't rest him he was, as Paul quite rightly say, brilliant. For a player of his age, in his position to step in and play like he did is pretty much unheard of. I saw a lot of him before his loan to Germany and I can honestly say, as I have a few times on here in the past, he is without question the best young centre back I have seen since JT.

To lose him now would be criminal, especially when we consider the age of Luiz and Cahill.

14 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

As for Rudiger, I'm not sure if I would swap him for any other centre half in the world. Absolutely love him and he's only going to get better.

Spot on Martin.