• Current Donation Goals

11 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

Yes it could work but I've got this thing about playing Hazard as some kind striker. He would probably end up playing just behind Morata in that formation because he always wants the ball. He'd just get bored and even frustrated up there waiting.  I'd like to see two proper forwards up top and have Hazard in place of Moses or Pedro. If Kante holds, this looks solid and mobile at the back but still very attack minded (and creative). I would get Morata and Bats to press  the defense like crazy at every opportunity. That midfield is not going to win many physical battles but it might not need to. As you say Drinkwater/Baka are there if we need them.  

Quite right.  Indeed he quite often ends up behind Fabregas, at WHU especially.  I'm not sure if that is a deliberately clever switch to take defenders out of position and push Fabregas forward instead, but it seems to happen a bit too often for my liking.

paulw66   
19 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Please, Oscar was a regular? He played a bit for the first six weeks and after that he was more or less permanently benched and then sold. 

Yes - he was a regular under previous managers. But not under Conte. Costa was always going to leave and the bust-up probably didn't help keeping him here. 

Matic we don't know what happened. But for one reason or another he didn't want to stay. 

But at a stretch, Conte has lost two players who were regulars. I suspect (at most) he only wanted to keep Matic. So that defense is utterly irrelevant - he hasn't sold 15 players he wanted to keep. He has sold players that had no future here anyways. 

With Oscar, he may well have played more this season as we are playing twice a week, not once. 

Costa was sold, Morata bought in for virtually net spend of zero. Does that make Conte lavish by spending £58m on Morata, compared with Pep who bought in Silva and Jesus without selling any forwards?

Matic, sold for £40m, Bakayoko bought for the same. 

I don't see how can argue that net spend isn't relevant. If Chelsea sell Hazard and Courtois in the summer for a combined £250m, then go and spend £150m on replacements, would you think, "look we have spent £150m on new players, we should be better off" or would you think, "Christ, we have sold two key players and are now short"?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Costa was sold, Morata bought in for virtually net spend of zero. Does that make Conte lavish by spending £58m on Morata, compared with Pep who bought in Silva and Jesus without selling any forwards?

No one really knows what Costa will be sold for.   Anything over £30m would be remarkable given how much he and Conte had fallen out.  And in many people's view Morata is a big step down from Costa, especially if we continue playing 532.

I'm all for counting net spend rather than gross spend.  So long as you count wage increases too, and make the sensible comparisons with Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool, not with City or Man U.  Even in 2003-05 were weren't throwing money around like those guys & PSG do.

Sciatika   
19 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

No one really knows what Costa will be sold for.   Anything over £30m would be remarkable given how much he and Conte had fallen out.

I just looked around and, according to transfermarkt, he went for 66m euros. I find that really hard to believe. Mirror says more (£66m), but I find the Mirror even harder to believe. Telegragh (a paper I never believe) says £58m (which is 60-odd million Euros). Maybe they are all reading the same gossip and the Mirror got the currency wrong (again!).

• Like 1