• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Tucker

Huddersfield Town 1 Chelsea 3

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

JM already answered that.  You defend with 11 players and attack with 11 players.  It isn't the formation that counts, it is the balance of the players.

Well they certainly did defend with 11 players , for 85 minutes , two assists for Lukaku too , wrong end sadly , if only he'd got the defenders to do the defending !

Amazing just how far behind City the other teams are. United are the closest challengers and even they looked so incomplete compared to City. I reckon this City side is better than Pep's Bayern side as well. 

^^^^^^

Their massive spending power probably has a lot to do with the above. Yes, they're a top team, and I doubt that anybody could claim otherwise, but then I don't find that particularly amazing, given their budget.

25 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

^^^^^^

Their massive spending power probably has a lot to do with the above. Yes, they're a top team, and I doubt that anybody could claim otherwise, but then I don't find that particularly amazing, given their budget.

To dismiss it as being due to their spending power is all too easy IMO. The team looks very well organized and they do what their manager asks of them very well. Not all of them are players that were purchased in the summer either.

The likes of Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling, Fernandinho and others who I wont bother to name were there before Pep. What Pep did was he built on what he had and cleared out a lot of the deadwood. Yes they spent a lot but they got it largely right and they are very well put together on the pitch as well in terms of formations, tactics etc. Spending isn't all that matters - look at AC Milan!

2 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

To dismiss it as being due to their spending power is all too easy IMO. The team looks very well organized and they do what their manager asks of them very well. Not all of them are players that were purchased in the summer either.

The likes of Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling, Fernandinho and others who I wont bother to name were there before Pep. What Pep did was he built on what he had and cleared out a lot of the deadwood. Yes they spent a lot but they got it largely right and they are very well put together on the pitch as well in terms of formations, tactics etc. Spending isn't all that matters - look at AC Milan!

No, I agree with you, and I wasn't dismissing anything. Just stating the obvious, because it starts with the money, their ownership, and the way they've manipulated their sponsorships, etc. Takes nothing away from the footballing side of things (but it surely has to make it a tad easier is you have unlimited funds to work with). 

Rob B   
4 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Doesn’t impress me whatsoever tbh. The 4 you just mentioned total about £160m of transfer fees.  You keep throwing money at something and you’ll find a winning formula eventually.

City have grossly underachieved these past 5-8 years or so, and I’m still not completely ruling out the wheels falling off this season (although they’ll likely be too far ahead by that stage)

Certainly City are gaining the benefits of buying heavy and then pruning.  They have let go a staggering number of players just this summer.  It is one way to end up with a great team, but the list of buy and fails they have had is very long, while they have till recently propped up their few successes with large numbers of established 28 year olds bought for healthy sums that are then let go for free a few years later.
We keep plenty of kids, they have kept plenty of 30 year olds.

Bony, Nolito, Kolarov, Fernando, Nasri, Navas, Zabaleta, Clichy, Cabellero and Sagna have all gone this summer (a few were already on loan).
It has been an incredibly expensive way to run a club, even if they are now left with a lot of talent.

jones   

We need to respond to the West Ham performance with a more attacking line-up, as Huddersfield will look to copy West Ham's 11 man defense. Moses for Zappacosta is an obvious change from WH, and Bakayoko should also lose his place. Even if Pedro perhaps is the likeliest option, I'd like to see Batshuayi together with Morata, and Hazard as a 10. Also, Rüdiger for Cahill will give us a lot more going forward.

Courtois

Azpi Christensen Rudiger

Moses Kanté Fabregas Alonso

Hazard

Batshuayi Morata

I think it's pretty obvious what we need to do now. We need to put out an attacking side for this one and really look to build on what made us great last season.

Not every game has to be an ultra defensive approach. 

Courtois; Azpilicueta, Christensen, Rudiger; Moses, Kante, Fabregas, Alonso; Willian, Morata, Hazard

Bench: Caballero, Cahill, Zappacosta, Pedro, Musonda, Batshuayi 

xCELERYx   
7 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Here's the last 10 years of spending.
(IN/OUT)

17/18 - 224.37m / 86.72m
16/17 - 191.70 / 31.82
15/16 - 191.61 / 60.69
14/15 - 79.47 / 27.56
13/14 - 104.40 / 10.17
12/13 - 55.76 / 39.87
11/12 - 78.35 / 26.73
10/11 - 164.21 / 33.44

Makes a heck of a difference when you can essentially freely spend as needed to continue to obtain better and better players year after year. Even the players Pep has utilised that were at the club prior to him - they're still quality players in their own right. Regardless if Pep purchased them or not. Sure, he's no doubt had an impact. But when you have unmatched quality and spending it's a heck of a lot easier. 

The one thing that I do envy is just how well he's been backed. He's been, as you said, able to clear out the deadwood not suited to his plans. And then been able to bring in the players he wanted that would work best within his approach. As a manager, that's all you can ask. He's now been able to build his own side and it's paying off hugely. They'll no doubt kick on and spend more to plug the gaps they do have - mainly defensively. If that happens, there's a genuine chance they'll be quite dominate for the next few years.