17/18 - 224.37m / 86.72m
16/17 - 191.70 / 31.82
15/16 - 191.61 / 60.69
14/15 - 79.47 / 27.56
13/14 - 104.40 / 10.17
12/13 - 55.76 / 39.87
11/12 - 78.35 / 26.73
10/11 - 164.21 / 33.44

Makes a heck of a difference when you can essentially freely spend as needed to continue to obtain better and better players year after year. Even the players Pep has utilised that were at the club prior to him - they're still quality players in their own right. Regardless if Pep purchased them or not. Sure, he's no doubt had an impact. But when you have unmatched quality and spending it's a heck of a lot easier. 

The one thing that I do envy is just how well he's been backed. He's been, as you said, able to clear out the deadwood not suited to his plans. And then been able to bring in the players he wanted that would work best within his approach. As a manager, that's all you can ask. He's now been able to build his own side and it's paying off hugely. They'll no doubt kick on and spend more to plug the gaps they do have - mainly defensively. If that happens, there's a genuine chance they'll be quite dominate for the next few years. 

Yes. Compare Pep to Conte, and it is basically 100mp every summer in extra spending. Imagine what players like Alex Sandro, Belotti, Icardi etc could have done for our squad. The most obvious example is Kyle Walker vs Zappacosta. Conte wanted Walker, but there was no way we could compete for his signature (probably to do with both wages and transfer fee). Instead we ended up panic buying someone massively inferior.

6 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

The one thing that I do envy is just how well he's been backed. He's been, as you said, able to clear out the deadwood not suited to his plans. And then been able to bring in the players he wanted that would work best within his approach. As a manager, that's all you can ask. He's now been able to build his own side and it's paying off hugely. They'll no doubt kick on and spend more to plug the gaps they do have - mainly defensively. If that happens, there's a genuine chance they'll be quite dominate for the next few years. 

Mind you I suspect Pep has been funded so heavily is precisely because City have won 0 out of the last 3 PL titles.
What is odd is how Conte gets to overturn a squad that has won 2 in 3.

paulw66   
19 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

JM already answered that.  You defend with 11 players and attack with 11 players.  It isn't the formation that counts, it is the balance of the players.

well, they defended with 9 outfielders, regardless of their names or supposed favoured positions. If you are going to defend with 9, you may as well pick 9 defnesive players rather than pretending you are going to attack 

31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

well, they defended with 9 outfielders, regardless of their names or supposed favoured positions. If you are going to defend with 9, you may as well pick 9 defnesive players rather than pretending you are going to attack 

No not really - but since you only ever point score rather than maintain a point of view, there is no point discussing it further.

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

No not really - but since you only ever point score rather than maintain a point of view, there is no point discussing it further.

Ok. In my point of view, one team attacked. They were not wearing red. 

9 hours ago, jones said:

Yes. Compare Pep to Conte, and it is basically 100mp every summer in extra spending. 

Only it's incorrect. 

Pep has spent £80m more over three windows. £380m vs. £300m. 

Hopefully Bats gets a start then and someone to kid Hazard its a champions league tie against glamourous oppo.