• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Southampton 0

Recommended Posts

Ham   
2 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Good to hear from you again Ham.

Thanks Pete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   
7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not before the 80th minute :)
There is something to be said for sticking to ones guns, and I am all for praising Conte for that.  But we made one big change of tactics, players and formation after the Arsenal game a year ago.  For the rest of the season he rotated Willian and Pedro about, and spent the whole season working out whether Fabregas was better than Matic.  No other changes at all.
This season he has pulled the WBs back a bit and gone from 343 to 523 to often 532, but inch by inch.  Player wise he hovers between Moses and Zappacosta and has taken a plunge to go for Christensen instead of Luiz (though he would probably say Luiz is just not fit).  Arguably Morata for Costa was all his doing too.

In other words the team barely changes at all.

This is the management of someone who has forgotten his Fantasy Football password.  But there is nothing specially wrong with sticking to ones guns.

The thing is that totally baffles me.Would YOU have given Mourhino big money to spend when we were on the fireman's pole and sliding down the table?.Mourhino was the classic example of someone "sticking to ones guns". Do you remember him playing with Ivanovich game after game when it was obvious he was at the end of career with us? and Dave at left back when he is a right back?

Things never changed under tso or if it did it was obvious only to something that was obvious in his own head.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kev61 said:

The thing is that totally baffles me.Would YOU have given Mourhino big money to spend when we were on the fireman's pole and sliding down the table?.Mourhino was the classic example of someone "sticking to ones guns". Do you remember him playing with Ivanovich game after game when it was obvious he was at the end of career with us? and Dave at left back when he is a right back?

Things never changed under tso or if it did it was obvious only to something that was obvious in his own head.

 

Ivanovic is still a great RB.  In fact he was a bloody brilliant WB (but I suppose the semantics police won't allow us to call him that).  Azpi could play in any of 2 positions for JM or in 7 or 8 for Conte.  You seem so blinded by your views about Mourinho that you can't see the obvious.

15/16 was not a disaster because of the quality of the players - we won the title a year before and a year after, and had/are having good seasons 2 years before and after.  Nor was it because of the quality of the manager who has won plenty of titles.  It was because of he thin squad.  So thin that many of us were screaming about it from the start of the season (as much or more so than this season).  

Should we have sacked JM II - probably.  It is a trick that works well so often that it was reckless not to try, and we had a good temp in hand.

Actually I'm more than a bit baffled by the question - what are you getting at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Ivanovic is still a great RB.  In fact he was a bloody brilliant WB (but I suppose the semantics police won't allow us to call him that).  Azpi could play in any of 2 positions for JM or in 7 or 8 for Conte.  You seem so blinded by your views about Mourinho that you can't see the obvious.

15/16 was not a disaster because of the quality of the players - we won the title a year before and a year after, and had/are having good seasons 2 years before and after.  Nor was it because of the quality of the manager who has won plenty of titles.  It was because of he thin squad.  So thin that many of us were screaming about it from the start of the season (as much or more so than this season).  

Should we have sacked JM II - probably.  It is a trick that works well so often that it was reckless not to try, and we had a good temp in hand.

Actually I'm more than a bit baffled by the question - what are you getting at?

OK let me make it simple.If you were Abramovich would you give Mourhino a blank cheque to buy players given that his last success was countered with a massive failure and he is behaving like a spoilt child?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kev61 said:

OK let me make it simple.If you were Abramovich would you give Mourhino a blank cheque to buy players given that his last success was countered with a massive failure and he is behaving like a spoilt child?

When did RA ever give anyone a blank cheque?  Where was the massive failure in attempting a PL season with 19 O21 players including 3 GKs, Djilobodji and 2 crocked strikers.
Spoilt child - I can think of a few here.

It is a ridiculous question designed purely to repeat nonsense conclusions as if they were an agreed starting point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Rod   
12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Ivanovic is still a great RB.  In fact he was a bloody brilliant WB (but I suppose the semantics police won't allow us to call him that).  Azpi could play in any of 2 positions for JM or in 7 or 8 for Conte.  You seem so blinded by your views about Mourinho that you can't see the obvious.

15/16 was not a disaster because of the quality of the players - we won the title a year before and a year after, and had/are having good seasons 2 years before and after.  Nor was it because of the quality of the manager who has won plenty of titles.  It was because of he thin squad.  So thin that many of us were screaming about it from the start of the season (as much or more so than this season).  

Should we have sacked JM II - probably.  It is a trick that works well so often that it was reckless not to try, and we had a good temp in hand.

Actually I'm more than a bit baffled by the question - what are you getting at?

Of all the appointments of the Abramovich era, the second coming of Jose Mourinho was the one that made the least sense to me. We won a title with him but he took us a decade back. He scuppered all the squad building that went on before him, caused an almighty PR disaster and left the club in crisis. He was a manager in decline and has continued in the same trajectory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Of all the appointments of the Abramovich era, the second coming of Jose Mourinho was the one that made the least sense to me. We won a title with him but he took us a decade back. He scuppered all the squad building that went on before him, caused an almighty PR disaster and left the club in crisis. He was a manager in decline and has continued in the same trajectory. 

Oh dear.  All that squad building over 2011-14 was brought to fruition in 2014, 15 & 17.  And is still going on strong. Courtois, Moses, Azpi, Luiz, Cahill, Fabregas, Willian, Hazard of the current squad were bought then, as were Matic and Costa.  

 

Brilliant spell of acquisitions by the club.  Brilliantly brought to the boil by JM & Conte.  Just left short on backup at times.

Credit all around, and if one or two of the massive talent we brought in slipped past for a trading profit, that is surely to be expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.