• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 1 Southampton 0

Zidane   
34 minutes ago, Sea foot said:

My guess is (and it's only a guess) that a lot of members on here are probably sick to the back teeth of reading about how defensive we are. The point may well be right but the repetition of it ad nausiem does grate somewhat.

Not just me then. 

Just back from the match, should have been much more comfortable if only Chelsea could finish off chances as per usual.

As it was, just waiting for Austin to equalise.  Not sure how Willian stayed on the pitch for 90 mins, generally awful, Bakayoko still can't defend, hopefully Morata is back from his short exile.

Lesson to those who left to get a beer early - you might miss the only goal of the game!

The Alonso yellow was an ridiculously obvious I'm slightly concerned the FA might look into it. I remember Beckham once got penalised for doing this in a qualifier but not sure there is any precedent in the league. Willian and Cesc taking every corner and then randomly in the last minute Alonso comes over on 4 yellows to take his first corner of the season.

Rob B   
37 minutes ago, samhoward17 said:

The Alonso yellow was an ridiculously obvious I'm slightly concerned the FA might look into it. I remember Beckham once got penalised for doing this in a qualifier but not sure there is any precedent in the league. Willian and Cesc taking every corner and then randomly in the last minute Alonso comes over on 4 yellows to take his first corner of the season.

Ah yeah I didn’t twig initially. 

Well if it was planned, Conte’s doing his best to cover it up as after the game he said we have a problem on Weds because Zappa has had flu. 

2 hours ago, Sea foot said:

My guess is (and it's only a guess) that a lot of members on here are probably sick to the back teeth of reading about how defensive we are. The point may well be right but the repetition of it ad nausiem does grate somewhat.

Its also the holiday season and a lot of people are most likely out shopping and such.

As for the game itself, another 3 pts and we wait now for United to slip.

I felt that we were very flat but Alonso is such a typical winner!

xCELERYx   

Just got done watching the replay. Mediocre performance overall - particularly from our attacking players once again. Our attacking phases are littered with poor decision making, passing execution or wayward shooting. 22 shots and 8 on target, only to score via an Alonso free kick isn't going to get consistent results. We were lucky to not let Southampton back into it near the end. That said, an important 3 points none the less but certainly ample room for improvement in what was a rather flat performances at times.

On a positive note. Alonso was excellent and probably our best attacking player all night. Christensen put in a more reassuring performance after his poor showing at West Ham, so that was good to see. While Bakayoko had a reasonable game once more as well. Pedro looked lively for periods but without much to show for it, and Fabregas had a positive impact off the bench. 

Rob B   
32 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Just got done watching the replay. Mediocre performance overall - particularly from our attacking players once again. Our attacking phases are littered with poor decision making, passing execution or wayward shooting. 22 shots and 8 on target, only to score via an Alonso free kick isn't going to get consistent results. We were lucky to not let Southampton back into it near the end. That said, an important 3 points none the less but certainly ample room for improvement in what was a rather flat performances at times.

On a positive note. Alonso was excellent and probably our best attacking player all night. Christensen put in a more reassuring performance after his poor showing at West Ham, so that was good to see. While Bakayoko had a reasonable game once more as well. Pedro looked lively for periods but without much to show for it, and Fabregas had a positive impact off the bench. 

Can’t think of another CB I’d take over Christensen in the PL, and perhaps even the world for that matter. He is that good.

As for the game, the 3 amigos up top struggled a bit more than they did versus Huddersfield where they were rampant. We did still create quite a few chances however, and 1-0 does flatter Southampton who offered nothing all match apart from a 2-3 minute spell just before the end. 

One thing I did notice quite a bit today was when Azpi had the ball pushing up inside their half, Moses just stayed static on the touch line to a point where he was almost level with Azpi.  He’d receive the ball and then just pass it back inside. This meant that Bertrand had both players in front of him and we weren’t a threat. 

What Moses should have been doing is running behind their defensive line and pulling their shape about.  I don’t think our wing backs do enough of that. 

3 hours ago, Rob B said:

Can’t think of another CB I’d take over Christensen in the PL, and perhaps even the world for that matter. He is that good.

The lad is doing well - I fully agree, but lets be honest here... Charlie Austin absolutely burnt him and could have/should have buried the chance. I'm all for fairness, but if Austin had burnt Cahill like that everyone would be up in arms.

I see Willian getting stick as usual - thought he was our best player by some distance. Pedro and Hazard very anonymous. Hazard isn't a false 9 of course but that's what happens when you have a minimal squad but only trust a small part of it.

Pedro and Willian are among our six best players (with Hazard, Morata, Kante and Fabregas) yet neither of them have started in 50% of our league games. Criminal.

Moses who's spent large parts of the season on the treatment table has started as many games as they have. 

1.77 goals/game tells its own story of course as does the inane idea that we can only start with three players who are interested in scoring. This is why we are trailing by 14 pts and struggle to score in basically every game unless it's against punching bags. 

The way City is playing they make a mockery of anyone who's ever claimed the PL to be so much better than La Liga, Bundesliga or Serie A. As soon as the PL has a team that approaches Bayern, Juve, Barca or Real standards they piss on it. This, coupled with English teams European adventures last 10 years should really put that debate to bed for ever. The PL isn't any better than La Liga. We spend more money yes, but that's hardly something to be proud of considering how much value englishbteams destroy.

This is the first time ever the PL has had a team that can measure with the big boys in Europe. It's clear to see the results. 

I read an article how English teams behave like small teams in the transfer market. Yep. Hard to argue against that. Only City has broken that trend last two years. 

I applaud this development. It forces the other PL teams to start acting like big clubs in the market and that accusation is primarily directed towards us, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool. The money we spend isn't used very well and we seem to spend enormous amounts of money on players who isn't making us any better as a team. City has set a new bar - up to the rest to compete. 

Can Conte compete with them even if we continue to throw money at him? I don't think he can - his focus is all wrong. He makes the easy games hard due to the way he sets us up. Long-term this won't work. 

I think both Conte and the club will have decisions to make this summer.