Subs: Caballero, Cahill, Moses, Bakayoko, Pedro, Hudson-Odoi, Batshuayi 

7 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

So,

Courtois

Azpilicueta Christensen Rüdiger Alonso

Kanté Drinkwater Fabregas

Willian Morata Hazard

Something like that yeah, looks far better to me and I can't really see anyone saying it's not.

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

So,

Courtois

Azpilicueta Christensen Rüdiger Alonso

Kanté Drinkwater Fabregas

Willian Morata Hazard

A Christmas present for everyone.

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

A Christmas present for everyone.

It's the one game I can make it to this year so I'd like a bit of attacking football for Christmas.

At the very least we need to show the tactical flexibility to switch between these systems. If your full backs push on, as you'd expect against a team in the bottom half of the table, the only difference between 3-4-3 and 4-3-3 is the starting position of the holding midfielder.

The best thing about 3-4-3 Is that it allows our attacking midfielders to play further infield, close to the corners of the penalty area, and still have options outside them. A switch to 4 at the back shouldn't mean an end to this but it needs the full backs to play very high.

I don't think I can go back to watching Willian as the widest option on the right (as in 4-2-3-1) with the opponents constantly blocking his attempts to go outside on his right foot.

8 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

I don't think I can go back to watching Willian as the widest option on the right (as in 4-2-3-1) with the opponents constantly blocking his attempts to go outside on his right foot.

I take your point, but Moses trying to go past anyone is worse - Alonso does it far better on the left, largely because defenders mostly worry about his crossing.  And Willian has learnt a new trick for this season - the Elastico, so he now can go on the left hand side,

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I take your point, but Moses trying to go past anyone is worse - Alonso does it far better on the left, largely because defenders mostly worry about his crossing.  And Willian has learnt a new trick for this season - the Elastico, so he now can go on the left hand side,

Not really much help if you put the ball into row z with the goal yawning.

Nice trick though.

Vinod   
9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

In England, he will be fouled and the ref will wave off penalty claims.

11 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Something like that yeah, looks far better to me and I can't really see anyone saying it's not.

Except maybe, Conte? I just can't see him reverting to a back 4 at this stage, and with these players. Happy to be surprised though.

xCELERYx   
11 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Maybe on paper but when you actually factor in the players themselves and what suits them, a back four has issues. 

Rudiger is most comfortable and performs best in a back three. A back four doesn't suit him. 

Christensen has also played a lot of football in a back three himself, which seems to be where he's excelled the most in.

We would also be moving Azpi back out to fullback after really excelling himself at CB. There's a possibility he becomes less influential in games because of this - given the freedom the CB's have to push into midfield at times. 

We would also revert back to the narrow play we had to endure under JM and alike for years. Willian and Hazard will continuously drift inside and provide minimal width. We'd lack the overlap from the fullbacks like we get with WB's currently - Alonso lacks the leg speed to push forward from a deeper starting position and overlap. Then be expected to recover back. Ain't going to happen. 

So, while it may be a comfortable looking side on paper. Once you actually analysis the players traits themselves as individuals you begin to see that moving to a back four also presents itself with its own set of issues - both defensively and in attack. Ultimately, it's not the solution either.