• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Chelsea 2 Brighton 0

22 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

By now we know the script - maximum three of Morata, Bats, Hazard, Willian, Fabregas and Pedro and 7 defensive players. 

Maybe one day Conte will actually try to play our best team and make sure we have back-ups to that starting XI. Until then, much more of the same I'm afraid. Maybe we will be lucky and actually win this game. Won't change anything in the grand scheme of things though. 

What do you mean by "the grand scheme of things" Dave

21 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I don't think I'm alone thinking this, but since you asked;

Courtois; Azpi, Christensen, Cahill/Rudiger; Moses, Kante, Fabregas, Alonso; Willian, Morata, Hazard

with at least two AMs and two strikers on the bench. 

Fabregas on his own with Kante has been shown to be too fragile.

21 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

We already have 6 players to cover for Fabregas - three CBs, two FBs and a DM... 

How many more do you need? 

Well more than has shown to be the case previously. It's not how it looks on paper that counts. It's how the games where Cesc has started alone with Kante have gone on the pitch.

21 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Which has nothing to do with the here and now. If you haven't noticed that this season, he struggles in a 2 man midfield, then I'm not sure what you've been watching, tbh. Try to grasp that what I've said isn't a criticism of Fabregas - it's about maximising the effectiveness of the team. And for me, it's a;ways Fabregas with 2 deeper..

Exactly! Just because we may have been successful with Cesc playing with only 1 other CM in the past, doesn't mean he's still capable of doing the necessary now, as the games where he's played in that role this season have shown.

Ham   
3 hours ago, PeteRobbo said:

Fabregas on his own with Kante has been shown to be too fragile.

Quite Pete and yet some on here have rewritten history on the subject. I recall numerous games on the match day thread where we all discussed how very porous we were with Fabregas and Matic or Kante. 

I also agree with your other post where  you highlighted how what actually happens on the pitch is more important and pertinent than any formation or tactical plan. 

There is far too much discussion on here about rigid definitions of positions and player profiles. The game is far more fluid than some would have you believe. The wing back/right back/left back discussion has  been painful to follow. 

I recall being laughed off the forum a few years ago when I suggested that Luiz could play a role in midfield. "he's a defender. A defender  cannot possibly understand the disciplines of midfield".  He'd spent his career playing just behind defensive midfielders but hey-ho it's witchcraft to suggest he'd have picked anything up. 

Watch how this same discussion rears its ugly head on the subject of Ampadu even though he has confidently played both roles in the past. 

As far as the lineup for this one is concerned, I'd go with the following:

Courtois

Azpilicueta  Christensen  Cahill

Moses                                Alonso

Drinkwater  Kante

Fabregas

Morata Hazard

Faramir   
On 12/23/2017 at 7:05 PM, Sleeping Dave said:

We already have 6 players to cover for Fabregas - three CBs, two FBs and a DM... 

How many more do you need? 

If Fabregas' role is to share centre midfield with anybody (even Kante) we become defensively more vunerable. This has been proven in many matches.

Faramir   
On 12/23/2017 at 7:33 PM, Michael Tucker said:

Fabregas' legs were 2 years younger then, and they're not getting any younger from here on in. I want him to be the best he can be for the team, and I don't understand why you're so against supporting the guy? Imo, playing him as 1 of 2 in midfield, is begging for him to fail.

Which translates in to the team likewise failing.

8 hours ago, Ham said:

Quite Pete and yet some on here have rewritten history on the subject. I recall numerous games on the match day thread where we all discussed how very porous we were with Fabregas and Matic or Kante. 

You mean back in the days when we were winning titles  :)

Actually I recall a discussion mid-season last year when I pushed people into actually stating whether they thought Matic should start instead of Fabregas.  Pretty much everyone was forced to say yes - largely because they had been using your cock and bull story to justify Conte's selections.  The rest of the season played out, and I can't think of a single person who changed their mind.  Except Conte of course.  Funny that.

9 hours ago, Ham said:

I recall being laughed off the forum a few years ago when I suggested that Luiz could play a role in midfield. "he's a defender. A defender  cannot possibly understand the disciplines of midfield".  He'd spent his career playing just behind defensive midfielders but hey-ho it's witchcraft to suggest he'd have picked anything up. 

I think the point is yes, he can play as a DM in front of 3 CBs, because half of that role involves dropping back as a 5th defender.  Either as a centre CB as Mikel, Luiz, Matic or Baka would do, freeing up one or other CB to cover left or right.  Or as a mobile defender like Maka or Kante, giving support where needed - often out wide to the FBs.  

What Luiz can't do is play as a Lampard or a Drinkwater or a Fabregas or a Willian (or a Kante) and be mobile about the whole pitch,  chase down defenders as part of a high press or make runs off the ball for other people.  
In other words Luiz couldn't play as CM for a Conte 3CB team (and we saw that too).

6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

You mean back in the days when we were winning titles  :)

Actually I recall a discussion mid-season last year when I pushed people into actually stating whether they thought Matic should start instead of Fabregas.  Pretty much everyone was forced to say yes - largely because they had been using your cock and bull story to justify Conte's selections.  The rest of the season played out, and I can't think of a single person who changed their mind.  Except Conte of course.  Funny that.

I think the point is yes, he can play as a DM in front of 3 CBs, because half of that role involves dropping back as a 5th defender.  Either as a centre CB as Mikel, Luiz, Matic or Baka would do, freeing up one or other CB to cover left or right.  Or as a mobile defender like Maka or Kante, giving support where needed - often out wide to the FBs.  

What Luiz can't do is play as a Lampard or a Drinkwater or a Fabregas or a Willian (or a Kante) and be mobile about the whole pitch,  chase down defenders as part of a high press or make runs off the ball for other people.  
In other words Luiz couldn't play as CM for a Conte 3CB team (and we saw that too).

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz