• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Norwich City 0 Chelsea 0

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

The problem as I see it is that we have the waters muddied by too many  players hanging around the academy or on the fringes  or out on loan, that a stand out one can sometimes get lost in the mix....

The waters are muddied.  Most muddying I think is done when the club releases a press pack about a kid in first team squad.  The press latch on to it, while ignoring the better players that were sent off on loan rather than making the numbers up in training at Cobham.
But I don't think the club get that confused.  

1 hour ago, NoblyBobly said:

Yet we let the best young centre back in the world go out on loan for two years, and then he had to wait for injuries and suspensions to get a run of games?

Actually he started the 2nd, 6th and 7th PL game, and was sub in 1st, 4th and 5th so it is not as though he had to wait for chances.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

TBH the revelation that we were outbid for VanDyke do make you wonder what's going on when we clearly don't need a centre half.

Not seen that - is it a reliable source?  Sounds more of the kind of rumour Southampton would want out during negotiations and Liverpool afterwards.  Usually nothing leaks from us.

44 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

At the time Terry broke through, while reasonably competitive, we weren't a club chasing 4 trophies every year in the way we are now.

We were pretty competitive at CB though.  Thome wasn't bad, nor were the 1998 WC winner CB pairing.
In the 97/98-2000  3 year period when JT was coming through we were 4th, 3rd and 5th in the Prem.  FA cup winners in 2000, LC winners in 1998, Winners of the Cup winners cup (98), semifinalists (99) and reached QF of the Champions league in 2000.
That sounds like chasing 4 competitions to me.

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

At the time Terry broke through, while reasonably competitive, we weren't a club chasing 4 trophies every year in the way we are now. I dare say quite a few of Man Utd's "Class of 92" wouldn't be heard of in today's game either. It's rather pointless comparing Christensen's journey into the starting eleven today with Terry's all those years ago as not only expectations, but the strength of rivals have vastly changed.

Indeed, but it was not me it was another poster who bought Terry into it. It was a different world back then, but boy did we have the makings of a great team. Roman put the icing on the cake but we were no Man City waiting for a sugar daddy to come along so we could win a trophy or two.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not seen that - is it a reliable source?  Sounds more of the kind of rumour Southampton would want out during negotiations and Liverpool afterwards.  

I saw it on football 365 and the Daily Mail where it was reported as being taken from the pre Arsenal press conference and were reported as direct quotes .

It could be rubbish but that's what they reported.

9 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Anybody want to talk about the game? Just a thought........

I presume you didn't watch it if you have to ask that question...

7 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I presume you didn't watch it if you have to ask that question...

Then, as per usual, you 'presume' wrong. It is the match thread, as you may have worked out all by yourself, if you hadn't spent most of your time talking about other things. 

12 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Then, as per usual, you 'presume' wrong. It is the match thread, as you may have worked out all by yourself, if you hadn't spent most of your time talking about other things. 

True but this conversation was slightly more interesting than the game.