• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: Chelsea Sign Ross Barkley

Chelsea Football Club has today completed the signing of Ross Barkley from Everton.

The 24-year-old has signed a five-and-a-half-year contract and will wear the number 8 shirt.

Upon signing for the Premier League champions, Barkley said: ‘I'm overwhelmed, I'm looking forward to it and I'm really excited to get started.

‘To be given a fresh start at a new club like Chelsea, it's unbelievable for me. I'm looking forward to continuing where I left off at the end of last season and hoping to improve and add more goals to my game.’

Club director Marina Granovskaia added: ‘Ross is a player we have long admired and are certain he will prove to be an important player for Chelsea. He possesses outstanding technical and physical attributes, matched with good experience of the Premier League and a strong desire to succeed at the highest level. We welcome him to the club and look forward to seeing him in action.’

Barkley arrives with a wealth of experience for a player so young, having already made 150 Premier League appearances for Everton, as well as being named in England squads for both the World Cup and European Championships.

His versatility ensures he can play just behind the striker, in a deeper midfield role or in an advanced wide position, with his ability to get on the ball and create chances one of the player’s biggest strengths.

A hamstring injury at the beginning of the current campaign has kept him out since August, which means he is eligible to play for the Blues in all four competitions.

Sea foot   

Welcome Ross. At least you can't be as bad as some are painting you. Prove 'em all wrong.

• Like 1

The signings of Baka and Drinkwater make more sense now. He is the ideal player, like Fabregas, for the third man to balance out the extreme defensive tendencies of a midfield with both Kante and Baka/Drinkwater. 

xCELERYx   

Was neither here nor there on Barkley overall. However, now that he's signed he'll have my full support. At £15m he's got plenty of potential upside. He could easily average between 5-10 goals a season from midfield and a similar number of assists if he can establish himself. Plenty of learning to be had and work to do though. 

Overall a good addition to the squad. Fills a need of a creative midfielder who can get a goal and isn't afraid to shoot. And is a good age that compliments what we've got already. 

If it doesn't pan out, so be it. That's football sometimes. His value has already doubled just by signing a contract here and being locked in for the next few years. 

Sea foot   

I was/am fairly ambivalent about him to be honest but now he's hear, I'm going to focus on his plus points and cheer him on. Last year I wasn't keen on him coming but I think it was perceived that he was coming to be a starter . This time it seems different in that he seems to be coming as more of a squad player. Makes me slightly keener.

GURJ SS   

Wish Barkley well, however I'm disappointed with our club's lack of ambition in the transfer market. He'd sit on the bench at Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal; even Everton. He'd not even make the bench at Man U or our club. Man City must just be laughing that their closest rival thinks Barkley is the type of player that will push us closer to them.

We needed true quality to come in and make us challenge with City, we didn't need a player with potential; we've got enough of those on out on loan.

CM: Kante, Cesc, Drink, Baka, Barkley

AM: Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Cesc, Barkley

I hope we are never faced with such an injury crisis that we find Barkley having to play, unless we are genuinely as a club looking to downgrade our ambitions to an odd domestic cup and battling for 3rd/4th in the league. 

jangz   

I really don’t understand the negativity on us signing Barkley in a winter transfer.. I find him similar to a delph / milner/ rodwell/ Ashley young/ Cahill/ signing.. I would have been disappointed if he came in for a 40/45 mill similar to Ox..  ..with the fee mooted I think Barkley will be a good for us  in the long run if he stays injury free..

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

Wish Barkley well, however I'm disappointed with our club's lack of ambition in the transfer market. He'd sit on the bench at Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal; even Everton. He'd not even make the bench at Man U or our club. Man City must just be laughing that their closest rival thinks Barkley is the type of player that will push us closer to them.

We needed true quality to come in and make us challenge with City, we didn't need a player with potential; we've got enough of those on out on loan.

CM: Kante, Cesc, Drink, Baka, Barkley

AM: Hazard, Pedro, Willian, Cesc, Barkley

I hope we are never faced with such an injury crisis that we find Barkley having to play, unless we are genuinely as a club looking to downgrade our ambitions to an odd domestic cup and battling for 3rd/4th in the league. 

Blame the board. Conte has clearly wanted more developed and proven players in his squad - Llorente, Nainggolan, Candreva, Vidal, etc. 

Until the club is willing to sign players that may not have much resale value, but will provide more immediate quality,  then this is what we can expect to see continue.

Not that it's a problem in itself, but there has to be a balance between signings like this that have potential and can develop, and then ones who can immediately lift the squad and add quality.