• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Official: Chelsea Sign Ross Barkley

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I may be wrong, but I doubt we will see much of Barkley in CM, I suspect we'll see much more of him in a front 2 or more likely front 3.

I can't see Barkley playing much as a cm either especially whilst Fabtegas is here. There is no way in a million years he gets in the team ahead of him and I can't see them playing together, even with Kante as part of a 3.

I'm slightly surprised some are even suggesting it, I can only assume they haven't seen much of him. He has far too many flaws in his game to play that role for us. Conte may well be able to change him but but I doubt it as he is one of the laziest players I have seen and defensively he is shocking. 

17 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I can't see Barkley playing much as a cm either especially whilst Fabtegas is here. There is no way in a million years he gets in the team ahead of him and I can't see them playing together, even with Kante as part of a 3.

I'm slightly surprised some are even suggesting it, I can only assume they haven't seen much of him. He has far too many flaws in his game to play that role for us. Conte may well be able to change him but but I doubt it as he is one of the laziest players I have seen and defensively he is shocking. 

In fairness , he's really probably "one for the future" we can afford to ease him in whilst Willian , Pedro and Fabregas see out their last days as they're all in or around 30 now , at some point I can see the club cashing in on 2 or 3 of them whilst they still attract a fee.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

In fairness , he's really probably "one for the future" we can afford to ease him in whilst Willian , Pedro and Fabregas see out their last days as they're all in or around 30 now , at some point I can see the club cashing in on 2 or 3 of them whilst they still attract a fee.

Not sure any of them will attract much of a fee.  If Rooney at 31 and 2 years on his contract goes for free, what are they worth.  At that age it is pretty much all paid in wages.
I agree that quite a few might get eased out next summer.  But I would hope that some top names will be coming in to replace them too.  Barkley has this season to create an impression IMO.

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

If you wish to take a short term view, you're probably right, he wouldn't - at least not on a consistent basis. Naturally the others are all fit, familiar with the system, what's expected of them tactically etc. Barkley still has all of that to learn over the coming weeks and months, including getting up to fitness levels required. That said, when fit there's a good chance he'll get games over Fabregas and Drinkwater at some point as he offers something different from both of them. 

He's mobile, creative and will add another needed source of goals. He could play in a 343 as an AM. Or he can feature in a 352 as one of the CM's depending who the other two players are. Much like Fabregas, he'll have his limitations defensively and will require extra help on that front. However, he's also far more mobile and attacking than Fabregas - in terms of being a goal threat, so that's a plus factor in itself and will carry some weight.

That said, he's a signing with more of a view to the long term than this immediate season. With Fabregas, Willian and Pedro all 30+ next season, there's room for him to take a claim. Whether or not he can nail down a consistent starting role remains to be seen, but he'll still provide value as a squad option that can start here and there, but also come of the bench and impact games. 

18 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Yes Barkley will be in the Fabregas bracket of defensive capability meaning if he does play in midfield it will be as a Cesc alternative. Similar to how Conte pushed Loftus-Cheek forward I imagine Barkley will more often than not feature in the front three. As he is not an out and out winger I would expect him to line up from the left which means he is in direct competition with Hazard. I view him as similar to Oscar ability wise except without the defensive work ethic. 

The carefree, arm round the shoulder approach used by Martinez was not good for his game and I think this may have stunted is growth as a player. It took Guardiola a season to coach all the bad habits out of Stones. Barkley needs vital minutes and he needs to show a willingness to improve and learn. Conte maybe perfect for him, then again he did not react well when challenged by Koeman. Will he get enough game time? Will the same manager be here next season? Will he show a new commitment to defending? Can he create with consistency? There are many question marks over his head. 

I hope I am wrong on him and he steps up as he does have ability and we are desperate for usable homegrown players. I personally would have rather we signed a more polished player but appreciate that signing Drinkwater like players now costs £35 million, and its January.

Edited by samhoward17

jones   

Conte said he sees Barkley playing both as an advanced CM in 3-5-2 and as one of the AMs in 3-4-3. Makes sense. Generally speaking, he has the skills to properly succeed in those roles, but does he have the mentality? 

Next season it makes sense to continue with a three man midfield, held by a ball-winning DM (Kanté or Bakayoko), flanked by a distributor (Fabregas or Drinkwater) and a counter attack player (Loftus-Cheek or Barkley). It is not a world class midfield, but it is arguably the best group of midfielders we have had since 09/10. It is a good mix of physique and passing range, and of experience and potential. Plus good competition for places. It also plays to the strengths of Fabregas, but will lack a lot of creativity when he does not play. 

Whether it will be 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 probably depends on who is manager. How much does he trust the defense? Regardless, we need more attacking players and we need a new LB/LWB.

My ideal summer will look like this: Alex Sandro, world class CF like Icardi, a new generation AM like Bailey or Lemar. Plus Zouma and Loftus-Cheek. Time will be up for Luiz, Zappacosta, Kennedy and Batshuayi. Net spend will be around 100mp. First and second XI will look like this:

First XI: Courtois - Azpilicueta, Rudiger, Christensen, Alex Sandro - Barkley, Kanté, Fabregas - Hazard, Icardi, Bailey

Second XI: Caballero - Moses, Zouma, Cahill, Alonso - Loftus-Cheek, Bakayoko, Drinkwater - Willian, Morata, Pedro

Double cover for all places, and a lot of versatility means we do not need more players than this
- Moses, Alex Sandro and Barkley are options at LW and RW + we can go Icardi and Morata up front with Hazard behind
- Hazard and Bailey can play CF in case our two world class CFs are unavailable

Vinod   
On 08/01/2018 at 11:20 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Wenger is the only one that comes to mind.  

Pochettino

Anyone noticed this? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-England-merseyside-42626014

The mayor of Liverpool has asked police to investigate whether any "fraud" has taken place surrounding Ross Barkley's transfer from Everton to Chelsea. Joe Anderson has written to the heads of the Football Association (FA) and Premier League following the 24-year-old England midfielder's £15m move. The "circumstance" of the deal "warrants serious investigation", said lifelong Everton fan Mr Anderson. Merseyside Police said Mr Anderson's letter "is currently being considered". In the letter, on his official headed notepaper, Mr Anderson expressed concern about the size of the transfer fee paid by Chelsea for Barkley.

The Premier League champions had reportedly agreed to pay £35m in the summer, only for Barkley to pull out of the move to Stamford Bridge at the last minute. Noting that Barkley did not play "a single minute for Everton" in the time between these two negotiations, he said the player has seen "a decrease in value of more than one million pounds a week". 

He claimed: "At best, this represents a very poor deal for Everton Football Club. At worst, it could be seen as a deliberate attempt to drive down a player's value in the transfer market so as to benefit the player, his agent and the buying club," Mr Anderson said. In the letter, Mr Anderson tells FA chairman Greg Clarke and Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore that he feels "it is right that the public receive an assurance on this matter".

20 minutes ago, Vinod said:

Pochettino

James was asking for "a manager who is a proven winner with a track record of blooding youth players. "
Wenger has won proper titles, albeit a long time ago.
I'd thought Pochettino had won nothing as a manager, but apparently I'm wrong.  Wikipedia says:

Premier League Manager of the Month: October 2013, September 2015 February 2016, April 2017[

15 minutes ago, blue moon said:

The mayor of Liverpool has asked police to investigate whether any "fraud" has taken place surrounding Ross Barkley's transfer from Everton to Chelsea. 

Saw it and ignored it, then I saw headlines with "Police dragged into case" which I again ignored.
Everton fan and Mayor of Liverpool has a whinge.  Writes a complaint to Police which will be politely ignored.  End of story.

More interesting is today's claim that we paid an extra £7 m to his agent.

24 minutes ago, blue moon said:

The mayor of Liverpool has asked police to investigate whether any "fraud" has taken place surrounding Ross Barkley's transfer from Everton to Chelsea. Joe Anderson has written to the heads of the Football Association (FA) and Premier League following the 24-year-old England midfielder's £15m move. The "circumstance" of the deal "warrants serious investigation", said lifelong Everton fan Mr Anderson. Merseyside Police said Mr Anderson's letter "is currently being considered". In the letter, on his official headed notepaper, Mr Anderson expressed concern about the size of the transfer fee paid by Chelsea for Barkley.

The Premier League champions had reportedly agreed to pay £35m in the summer, only for Barkley to pull out of the move to Stamford Bridge at the last minute. Noting that Barkley did not play "a single minute for Everton" in the time between these two negotiations, he said the player has seen "a decrease in value of more than one million pounds a week". 

He claimed: "At best, this represents a very poor deal for Everton Football Club. At worst, it could be seen as a deliberate attempt to drive down a player's value in the transfer market so as to benefit the player, his agent and the buying club," Mr Anderson said. In the letter, Mr Anderson tells FA chairman Greg Clarke and Premier League executive chairman Richard Scudamore that he feels "it is right that the public receive an assurance on this matter".

They didn't have to sell him for £15M , they could ask what they liked. He hasn't played because he's been injured (apparently) , lastly , Mayor of Liverpool ? I think he's got enough to do without worrying about this.