• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Ross Barkley

52 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

What I've noticed about Barkley is his intelligence and good set ball delivery. I wonder if he can take corners instead of Willian.

After about 20 mins I caught myself watching football involving Montenegro and decided there were some repeat Miranda episodes I might more usefully watch.

But I did see a very good corner and the fk that created Keane's goal.
I think we have established that Pedro's and Hazard's delivery is poor, and while Willian's is excellent, there seems to be no routine planned, with players not ahead of the kick into the target area, nor on dummy runs away from that area.  In fact mostly they just stand and wait to find out where Willian has kicked it.

Barkley's delivery was excellent AND there seemed to be a Southgate routine that they all knew about.

paulw66   

If only we played Montenegro every week, we'd fine with the players we have, including RB. 

Jasonb   

Unlike us England came back against a defensive team from a 1-0 deficit and won. We don't currently have that ability.

20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

If only we played Montenegro every week, we'd fine with the players we have, including RB. 

Quite.  Include a few of the loan army and our U21 team would beat Montenegro by 3 or 4.  We could even start Ampadu and CHO.  Hey Drinkwater and Cahill could get a game.

But the real message is that UEFA has to introduce Pre-qualifying rounds.  
To make England play 4 games against Montenegro and Kosovo is just stupid (And 2 PL weekends out of the calendar)
Italy have Cyprus, San Marino and lowly Scotland in the one group - 6 out of 10 games
Belgium have got Bosnia, Albania and Liechtenstein in one group.

Football gone mad (and all linked I guess to one vote per nation).

6 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Unlike us England came back against a defensive team from a 1-0 deficit and won. We don't currently have that ability.

I don't think many of our Academy teams would have conceded to Montenegro.

paulw66   
8 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Quite.  Include a few of the loan army and our U21 team would beat Montenegro by 3 or 4.  We could even start Ampadu and CHO.  Hey Drinkwater and Cahill could get a game.

But the real message is that UEFA has to introduce Pre-qualifying rounds.  
To make England play 4 games against Montenegro and Kosovo is just stupid (And 2 PL weekends out of the calendar)
Italy have Cyprus, San Marino and lowly Scotland in the one group - 6 out of 10 games
Belgium have got Bosnia, Albania and Liechtenstein in one group.

Football gone mad (and all linked I guess to one vote per nation).

I don't think many of our Academy teams would have conceded to Montenegro.

Yup.

The way Europe has been broken up in the last 20-30 years really has left an awful lot of tiny countries who should be playing each other. 

Had to look it up, but Montengro has a population of 620k.......similar to Glasgow / Luxembourg

Edited by paulw66

15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yup.

The way Europe has been broken up in the last 20-30 years really has left an awful lot of tiny countries who should be playing each other. 

Had to look it up, but Montengro has a population of 620k.......similar to Glasgow / Luxembourg

Not much bigger than the size of our Academy...  :)

Iceland has a pop of 350k so could make some exceptions.  For example getting trough the group stage at the Euro finals might mean exemption from pre-qualifying for the next 2 competitions.  

To be fair to Montenegrans, I think the one game they are really looking forward to in the group will be against Kosovo.  

bert19   
3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

In fairness , I get the distinct impression he feels he must adhere to  "the game plan" at all times when in the side and in doing so curtails his natural game somewhat , what I liked about last night's performance was the 'arriving late in the box and finding space to bang the ball home' part which we could severely do with . 

I think there is much more to come from Ross , if the coach allows it and to be honest I don't particularly feel that Barkely and CHO doing as well as they both did reflects enormously well on Sarri or his system.

I have to say I agree with you.  Regardless of the opposition, Barkley looked a very different threat to the one we're seeing in a Chelsea shirt last night.  Good set-piece delivery, good runs into the box - both things we've really lacked this season. 

It's quite clear Sarris overly complex tactical instructions and philosophy are like a straightjacket to Ross. He needs to be told to work hard and just express himself - it's why he looks a different player for England.

paulw66   
20 hours ago, Jasonb said:

Please see previous post.

paulw66   
36 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

It's quite clear Sarris overly complex tactical instructions and philosophy are like a straightjacket to Ross. He needs to be told to work hard and just express himself - it's why he looks a different player for England.

As above. Am sure he would score regularly for us if we played Montenegro every week. He scored home and away against Malmo. the game is much easier against poor opponents.