• Current Donation Goals

jangz   
4 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Blame the board. Conte has clearly wanted more developed and proven players in his squad - Llorente, Nainggolan, Candreva, Vidal, etc. 

Until the club is willing to sign players that may not have much resale value, but will provide more immediate quality,  then this is what we can expect to see continue.

Not that it's a problem in itself, but there has to be a balance between signings like this that have potential and can develop, and then ones who can immediately lift the squad and add quality.  

But we do that too .. fabregas Pedro luiz cosa Kante are a testament to that..last 2 windows were the exceptions. 

I was for this signing in the summer, so to get him for £15m is pretty good in today's prices.

He won me over as a player a couple of years ago (the last Martinez season at Everton) because previously I had a negative impression of him. 

Would like to see him play in an advanced role, but overall I think he'll do well here if he takes the opportunities that come his way.

Welcome Ross.

Good squad signing this. A move for Ross could potentially ignite his career. He has good strength, pace, and technique which is a pretty handy trio of facets to work with. It'll take him time to reach the fitness and tactical requirements of Conte, but if he does and becomes a better player for it, it'll be fascinating to see what his ceiling is. Conte tends to improve players so Ross is certainly an interesting project.

At that price it's a no brainer really. Shouldn't really take away from a big money singing, whether this window or next. It strengthens the squad and that's important.

Interesting that he's taken the number 8. I'd certainly prefer him as the AM in a midfield 3 than Bakayoko. A Kante-Cesc-Barkley trio could be one to watch.

I don't have a clue how this one will work out but for 15m it's certainly worth a shot....talking of which, he can actually shoot. 

Looked great a few years back so who knows. A back up striker would be nice now please? 

1 hour ago, A Blue Essien said:

Welcome Ross.

Good squad signing this. A move for Ross could potentially ignite his career. He has good strength, pace, and technique which is a pretty handy trio of facets to work with. It'll take him time to reach the fitness and tactical requirements of Conte, but if he does and becomes a better player for it, it'll be fascinating to see what his ceiling is. Conte tends to improve players so Ross is certainly an interesting project.

At that price it's a no brainer really. Shouldn't really take away from a big money singing, whether this window or next. It strengthens the squad and that's important.

Interesting that he's taken the number 8. I'd certainly prefer him as the AM in a midfield 3 than Bakayoko. A Kante-Cesc-Barkley trio could be one to watch.

Not really... it was his shirt number at Everton.

xCELERYx   
19 hours ago, jangz said:

But we do that too .. fabregas Pedro luiz cosa Kante are a testament to that..last 2 windows were the exceptions. 

Pedro was 28 when we signed him. He was lacking game time and wanted a move, plus he came at an inexpensive price for a player of his reputation. 

Fabregas was also in a similar position to Pedro. Wasn't getting enough playing time, was sellable and again came at an inexpensive price for a player of his quality and reputation.

Luiz again was similar to the above.

Kante was younger than the others and had just come off an exceptional season. He doesn't fit the criteria of the others. Therefore doesn't apply. 

Costa was signed at 25 years old. Again, doesn't really fit the criteria either. We also activated his ridiculously low release clause taking negotiations out of the equation. 

So really, we haven't signed older established players often in recent years. Not unless they've come from clubs where they're not getting game time and are within a affordable budget. 

Barkley fits the standard mould of player we target these days. Young, potential to develop, and has the room to be sold for a profit if it comes to that. 

Edited by xCELERYx

14 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Barkley fits the standard mould of player we target these days. Young, potential to develop, and has the room to be sold for a profit if it comes to that. 

Barkley is a pretty safe gamble IMO. We got him relatively cheap, he is English and also he signed a long term contract so now he is immediately a player who will make us a profit if we chose to sell soon.

From a footballing aspect, he is also a pretty safe bet as he is young, has numerous good qualities which are lacking from the team, and comes here when our squad isn't exactly deep.

There are a lot of people writing him off basically because they had egg on their faces from rating him so highly when he was younger!

Raheem Sterling is another classic example of pundits getting it completely wrong because they had totally written him off after last season. Jack Wilshere is another great example as well. 

Barkley comes to us at a time when 2 of the midfield options are flagging (one more than the other). There is no reason as to why this guy wont get fit and completely displace Bakayoko and Drinkwater in the team.

And are Willian and Pedro really that much ahead of him so as to keep him out of the picture? Not IMO. 

Good business by the club again IMO.

56 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Barkley is a pretty safe gamble IMO. We got him relatively cheap, he is English and also he signed a long term contract so now he is immediately a player who will make us a profit if we chose to sell soon.

From a footballing aspect, he is also a pretty safe bet as he is young, has numerous good qualities which are lacking from the team, and comes here when our squad isn't exactly deep.

There are a lot of people writing him off basically because they had egg on their faces from rating him so highly when he was younger!

Raheem Sterling is another classic example of pundits getting it completely wrong because they had totally written him off after last season. Jack Wilshere is another great example as well. 

Barkley comes to us at a time when 2 of the midfield options are flagging (one more than the other). There is no reason as to why this guy wont get fit and completely displace Bakayoko and Drinkwater in the team.

And are Willian and Pedro really that much ahead of him so as to keep him out of the picture? Not IMO. 

Good business by the club again IMO.

Yes to all this. I honestly think this is going to be one of the biggest bargains ever. I think he'll be a great player for us, if he can avoid injury.

Welcome to our club.....Good to see him training today.

18 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

I half take your point, but more accurately Barkley fitted the mould 2 or 3 years ago.  Now he is the kind that would be at Vittesse now.
I do like the idea of English back up players not quite ready to challenge Hazard, Kante and Fabregas for places.

But I like the solid 6 or 7 out of 10 players like Drinkwater.  Not the 4 or 8 types that I fear Barkley will be.