• Current Donation Goals

Welcome To Chelsea FC Ross.

For 15m he is a bargain, I think he can play a part in this squad. He is only 24, has loads of potential and is English.

In today's market of crazy prices I really don't see how this can be a negative signing.

Good luck to him.

xCELERYx   
3 hours ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

Barkley is a pretty safe gamble IMO. We got him relatively cheap, he is English and also he signed a long term contract so now he is immediately a player who will make us a profit if we chose to sell soon.

From a footballing aspect, he is also a pretty safe bet as he is young, has numerous good qualities which are lacking from the team, and comes here when our squad isn't exactly deep.

There are a lot of people writing him off basically because they had egg on their faces from rating him so highly when he was younger!

Raheem Sterling is another classic example of pundits getting it completely wrong because they had totally written him off after last season. Jack Wilshere is another great example as well. 

Barkley comes to us at a time when 2 of the midfield options are flagging (one more than the other). There is no reason as to why this guy wont get fit and completely displace Bakayoko and Drinkwater in the team.

And are Willian and Pedro really that much ahead of him so as to keep him out of the picture? Not IMO. 

Good business by the club again IMO.

I couldn't agree more. We need players like this, regardless if he becomes a shoe in first team player or not, he'll be a contributing player that's usable. 

With Fabregas, Pedro and Willian all 30+ or soon to be. We're going to need to start working on lessening their workload as they age, and are eventually replaced. Players like Barkley are a capable of aiding that. And it still wouldn't stop us from signing a key player for extra quality if desired. 

On 1/6/2018 at 5:32 PM, Bob Singleton said:

Not really... it was his shirt number at Everton.

Yes, I meant more in terms of position, as an 8. Conte's also confirmed that he seems him in a midfield 3, or as a 10 in the 3-4-3. I think he'll be 4th choice for the latter behind Hazard, Willian and Pedro. But he could well be first choice (alongside Kante and Cesc) in a midfield 3. 

3 hours ago, A Blue Essien said:

Yes, I meant more in terms of position, as an 8. Conte's also confirmed that he seems him in a midfield 3, or as a 10 in the 3-4-3. I think he'll be 4th choice for the latter behind Hazard, Willian and Pedro. But he could well be first choice (alongside Kante and Cesc) in a midfield 3. 

Amongst our current midfield options, if we have to play 352 he's the player you'd most want in the Lampard role, arriving late to score goals just inside the box. Certainly an improvement on seeing Bakayoko or Drinkwater played out of position.

In the preferred 343 I think he only fits as an alternative to Hazard, Pedro or Willian. Which would still mean that he would get minutes in almost every match we play.

1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

Amongst our current midfield options, if we have to play 352 he's the player you'd most want in the Lampard role, arriving late to score goals just inside the box. Certainly an improvement on seeing Bakayoko or Drinkwater played out of position.

I'd rather Willian or Pedro.  Or Hazard.  Especially since we aren't really talking the Lampard role which was LCM in 433 or 41212 (424D), but in either case with 3 ahead of him.

We are talking the No 10 role of Deco or at times Essien.  The late arrivals in the box in this team are the WBs.  

I may be wrong, but I doubt we will see much of Barkley in CM, I suspect we'll see much more of him in a front 2 or more likely front 3.

Sea foot   

I think Barkley is more of a Barkley type player. Let's see how he is used and how he gets on before we write him off shall we. I personally think he'll be ok without being a standout player for us. Exactly what we would hope from a 15 million player.

Standard and several other media outlets reporting that Chelsea see Barkley and Loftus Cheek playing together in midfield, and definitely in the same team. Saying RLC won’t be sold at any price and is part of long term plans at Chelsea.

We need a manager who is a proven winner with a track record of blooding youth players. 

Is there one out there? 

Barkley’s football hero is Lampard. And it’s so easy to see the similarities. Box to box, creative, goalscoring midfielder. 

Interestingly, Lampard’s stats at the same stage of his career were similar. Not saying he will be as good - but even if he’s half as good it’ll be a great signing.  

13 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Standard and several other media outlets reporting that Chelsea see Barkley and Loftus Cheek playing together in midfield, and definitely in the same team. Saying RLC won’t be sold at any price and is part of long term plans at Chelsea.

We need a manager who is a proven winner with a track record of blooding youth players. 

Is there one out there? 

Wenger is the only one that comes to mind.  

40 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Wenger is the only one that comes to mind.  

Heaven help us. No thanks.

But if the club want to promote young players - and they should, many of them are good enough, they need a manager willing to do so.

And they need to commit to him, saying they won’t sack him if we finish 4th or even 5th first season out.

Fat chance with this club.