• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

Ross Barkley

Recommended Posts

xCELERYx   
On 3/13/2018 at 9:53 PM, chiswickblue said:

We've signed several players for 2018/19 that we need in 2017/18.

This is how the club operates now. They sign players based on potential, not on what they can immediately offer in the present. Barkley hasn't been the first instance of this, nor unlikely to be the last. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

This is how the club operates now. They sign players based on potential, not on what they can immediately offer in the present. Barkley hasn't been the first instance of this, nor unlikely to be the last. 

Obvious BS. No one laid out for the likes of David Luiz, Marcos Alonso, N'Golo Kante, Davide Zappacosta, Danny Drinkwater, Olivier Giroud or Willy Cabellero because they thought they'd get better. You don't spend Morata or Bakayoko money because you think they might be up to it in a few years. 

If anything the last few years has seen a pretty sharp decline in players with a lot of potential but who aren't yet ready being signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I feel doing things by committee is the issue , none of us on here can ever agree on anything so to be in a situation where the lowest common denominator wins when it comes to judging what the team / the squad / the coach / the accountants need strikes me as daft when the only one who faces the music when it fails is the coach .

Why is Conte more accountable than Marina or that Scott fellow who apparently does the scouting ?

I cannot honestly understand why we would sign Barkley at all , I just don't see where his skill set fits and I think we bought him solely because he was English and available on the cheap. ( And he really has been exquisitely good vfm so far . Not .)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Obvious BS. No one laid out for the likes of David Luiz, Marcos Alonso, N'Golo Kante, Davide Zappacosta, Danny Drinkwater, Olivier Giroud or Willy Cabellero because they thought they'd get better. You don't spend Morata or Bakayoko money because you think they might be up to it in a few years. 

If anything the last few years has seen a pretty sharp decline in players with a lot of potential but who aren't yet ready being signed.

Precisely.
To be fair 2011-14 was a period of massive investment in talent.  It seems to me it was a punt on player prices going up strongly,   which meant that paying 10% more than the best bid of 2 or 3 competing bidders  was a safe way to be sure the asset was of value.  What we have seen since then is the likes of Hazard, Azpi, Courtois, Costa, Oscar, Willian, being the core of our team.
So 14-17 was just the flip side of the 11-14 policy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
9 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Obvious BS. No one laid out for the likes of David Luiz, Marcos Alonso, N'Golo Kante, Davide Zappacosta, Danny Drinkwater, Olivier Giroud or Willy Cabellero because they thought they'd get better. You don't spend Morata or Bakayoko money because you think they might be up to it in a few years. 

If anything the last few years has seen a pretty sharp decline in players with a lot of potential but who aren't yet ready being signed.

An exaggeration on my behalf, I know. But we've still looked to mainly invest in players who offer us a longer term stay or resale value down the line. We've been lucky that a few of them have obviously come in and done a good job. At the same time, we've also signed a lot of subpar players who neither improve us immediately with an injection of quality, or still require further development. Some are simply caught in the middle of the two. 

Before we signed Giroud in January, how many players have we signed in the last 5 or so years that are in the 28-32 bracket - that isn't a GK?  

I personally don't think we recycle and utilise players around those age brackets enough. We used to with players like Ballack, Deco, Belletti, Eto'o, etc. But we've largely stopped doing this because there's little to no financial reward to be had by the club later down the line. Particularly with our unwritten rule with contracts for those who are 30+. Yet, these sorts of players can still contribute and make positive impacts over the cause of a season. 

I don't know, it's frustrating to see us lose our way a bit in this department in recent years. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question remains though, what is happening with Ross Barkley at the moment?

Is he injured or just not fancied by Conte?

He doesn't even make the bench does he?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jonny_CFC said:

The question remains though, what is happening with Ross Barkley at the moment?

Is he injured or just not fancied by Conte?

He doesn't even make the bench does he?

 

Who knows right now to be honest?

Emerson, Zappa, Drinkwater, Barkley, and Luiz  are virtually never seen playing.  

Its tough but the situation is what it is. That is an absolutely ridiculous chunk of cash not being utilized...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   

He played 60 minutes for the development side this week. Came through it well. He should be an option for the next match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ham said:

He played 60 minutes for the development side this week. Came through it well. He should be an option for the next match.

Excellent . All we need to do now is work out how to shoe horn a number 10 into a formation that doesn't require one .

Maybe he's going to replace Fabregas in midfield in a change of career type manoeuvre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now