• Current Donation Goals

4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

if Morata scores one of his many spurned opportunities against Arsenal in the league and as a fan base we're all in a happier place. 

It's fine margins Mark, I'll give that......however.....is anyone at Juve or Real Madrid shocked he is missing sitters? I'm not sure they are. In fact a few will be saying "we told you so". Although I consider myself a proud Englishman, I have a lot of Spanish blood coursing through my veins and a lot of Spanish friends and relations. From the very off they were saying to me "you've way overpaid. He not bad but he is no Costa ".  I think this penny is starting to drop now. It was celery who said the problem would be with his consistency. That looks spot on from this vantage point. I'm seriously worried we could be veering into Torres territory.

I don't think Costa leaving was Contes fault by a long long chalk, but once he did go putting all our eggs in a Morata basket was nothing short of a dereliction of duty by someone.  

15 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

That looks spot on from this vantage point. I'm seriously worried we could be veering into Torres territory.

The real problem is that we are asking Morata to play as a target man as if he were Drogba or Costa.  I don't think we ever really expected that from Torres or Sheva.  They had plenty of attacking players around them.

xCELERYx   
6 hours ago, NoblyBobly said:

It's fine margins Mark, I'll give that......however.....is anyone at Juve or Real Madrid shocked he is missing sitters? I'm not sure they are. In fact a few will be saying "we told you so". Although I consider myself a proud Englishman, I have a lot of Spanish blood coursing through my veins and a lot of Spanish friends and relations. From the very off they were saying to me "you've way overpaid. He not bad but he is no Costa ".  I think this penny is starting to drop now. It was celery who said the problem would be with his consistency. That looks spot on from this vantage point. I'm seriously worried we could be veering into Torres territory.

I don't think Costa leaving was Contes fault by a long long chalk, but once he did go putting all our eggs in a Morata basket was nothing short of a dereliction of duty by someone.  

He won't be as ineffective as Torres was for us, but he'll also unlikely reach the heights of Liverpool-esque Torres either - not unless the penny drops. As I said from the beginning, he hasn't really improved all that much since I first started watching him when he joined Juventus. The same problems still exist and his consistency, or lack of, remains the key part that holds him back the most. Fair enough, he was younger in those days so you kinda expect a bit of inconsistency here and there, but the reputation he generated from a purple patch of form in the Champions League created this overzealous level of hype. He's now 25 and at this sort of age he should be starting to find his stride - we overpaid in terms of what he's delivered so far over his career. We've heavily banked on him overcoming his short comings and being a more consistent player that takes full advantage of the talent that he does show here and there. That's a risk, particularly when we offloaded a CF who would at least get you 20 goals a season - something Morata has never done across his career to date. 

What we realistically should have done is signed another genuine CF option of quality. Someone to share the workload with Morata and take away some of that burden of leading the line alone - something he's never really been ideally suited to do, while it would have also helped provide a way of managing his inconsistent nature. We should still be looking to do that in the summer regardless of how this season finishes.

jones   

Just like Diego Costa did in his two good seasons for us, Morata has so far both been in unplayable form and gone through a worrying period. The difference between Costa and Morata is the volatility in their performances. When Costa was at his best, he was perhaps the best CF in the world, when he was at his worst he was completely off. Morata's dip in form is largely down to missing big chances. It is a confidence thing. At his best, he was never at the extreme level Costa was at his best, but he was scoring and the team was cruising. 

The point I am trying to make is: Even the best CFs in the world will go through goal droughts. And to expect anything else is naive. That is why I am skeptical to having one top class CF and one (or two) back-ups, like we have had in recent seasons. What we need is two top class CFs, that can share the burden and push each other - or even play together. Batshuayi is too far away from being there. And clearly that has affected Morata also. It is not just positive to be the main man in the way Morata is this season, and Costa was last season. Nobody is there to push you, and nobody is there to take pressure off of you when things are going badly. There is a reason why both of them saw a dip in form half way through the season when games were starting to come thick and fast. The team's success relies on the CF, and there is/was nobody there to help them.

In that way, I think Batshuayi has been a terrible signing. He was supposed to be a CF2, but he turned out to be a CF3. Love the guy, but very far away from living up to the ambition his price tag suggests.

Replacing Batshuayi with a top CF is obviously a top priority. But they are a rare (and expensive) breed, so will be surprised if we manage to do it in January. Stop gap solution like Andy Carroll more likely.

1 minute ago, jones said:

The difference between Costa and Morata is the volatility in their performances. When Costa was at his best, he was perhaps the best CF in the world, when he was at his worst he was completely off.

Total myth used to justify half a dozen arguments that have nothing to do with Costa.

Costa was always a handful up front, and consistent in his aggression.  Of course his goals were not uniformly spread across all games, but they followed no more of a pattern than any normal strike.

Costa's only problem was that there was a large section of the fans that didn't really like him so they went from having to grudgingly admit his effectiveness, to jumping on any slight drop off as being rubbish.

As for "When Costa was at his best, he was perhaps the best CF in the world" it's kind of ridiculous.
Good, very very committed, spiky.  Not Kane, Not Henry, Not Aguero, not Ibrahimovic, not even Suarez.  But always committed even when we played poorly.