• Current Donation Goals

9 minutes ago, The Psycho Pianist said:

The fact that Conte is continuing to start with Bakayoko is seriously concerning as to his commitment. There is no one in the stadium, no pundit, no commentator, no supporter that can see any reason at all why he should be in the team - indeed the only two reasons I can think of why he is playing is either Conte trying to prove to the board that we need reinforcements right now, or he's angling to get the sack/huge payoff ASAP.

That's the one I choose Psycho.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think it's a difficult enough job without the board making your position untenable , he's off , the players know it , the papers know it , we know it , Hazard is saving it for the Barca game and the squad is bereft of any quality in depth to put any kind of pressure on the misfiring players.

Same old same old . We've certainly got our Chelsea back.

Yes indeedy....

kev61   
11 minutes ago, The Psycho Pianist said:

The fact that Conte is continuing to start with Bakayoko is seriously concerning as to his commitment. There is no one in the stadium, no pundit, no commentator, no supporter that can see any reason at all why he should be in the team - indeed the only two reasons I can think of why he is playing is either Conte trying to prove to the board that we need reinforcements right now, or he's angling to get the sack/huge payoff ASAP.

I agree.There's no rhyme or reason to Contes coaching style recently otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Conte has the hump from the off with the Bakayoko deal when the board "cleverly" replaced Matic , a man who knew the role and the league inside out with an injured kid from a weaker league . I think he's cutting his nose off to spite his face.

I'm coming round to this opinion I really am. Conte can't even be bothered with the suit now. No point getting it muddy I suppose.

kev61   
2 hours ago, Chuckso said:

Inadvertently you have highlighted where the problem lies, James. For about a year now, I had concluded Conte is just a Mourinho Mk2 (albeit marginally better football than Mourinho, I would say). In a team game, when the whole (team) is consistently less (results or performance) than the sum of its parts (players) then the manager is the problem.

Everyone going on about formations. Formations are not the issue. The issue is in initiative and football culture, and how a manager’s tactics either increase or hampers initiative of the players and a knock-on effect on their confidence. When you consistently send your players, like Mourinho and Conte do, to fall back whenever their players lose the ball through a breakdown in possession, three things, I see, happen

1) You can never build pressure on the opposition. At breakdown, the opposition can play it at the back relieving pressure because no one is closing them done and trying to force mistakes especially from defenders who are not the most technically efficient. No matter the opposition, Conte does not press, like Mourinho, afraid his defense would be caught. This is cowardice. The worst thing is when lesser teams, like Leicester today, West Ham, Norwich come and press our superior players without fear. We respond by falling back and handing the opposition the initiative.

2) By your decision to never expose yourself, psychologically you make your players feel inferior or less than themselves. You send a message there is much to fear from the opposition rather than letting the opposition worry about you. Also you give a confidence boost to the opposition especially when they have less talented players. If a less talented player is putting pressure on a more talented player, forcing him into mistakes and making him look ordinary, this increases the confidence of that player and reduces yours, as was seen in the Norwich game. There is no coincidence Man U’s season went off the rails after their fearful display against Liverpool and took awhile for their season to get any sort of verve back.

3) Because of your focus on defense and “covering your ass” you spend too much time on organization and control of the team. The players and team play become robotic and reactive rather than anticipating, reading the game and initiative. This tells in defense but more in attack. Because you are so focused on organization, your right back is always in the right back spot. Your left winger is always in the left wing spot. The structure is rigid. This makes it easier for your opposition as the opposition left back always knows where the right winger is and as such he is so much easier to close down and nullify. It’s like an army general giving his adversary his troop number and deployment layout. 

In all, I would say this football conservatism may yield short term results but because of its focus on control, position and drills, players invariably become bored because of its stifling and repetive nature. Evidence can be seen in Mourinho’s continual short term stints as players stop responding. Though in his case his personality comes into it but it is in reaction to bad performances which is a result of his negative culture of football. Conte is from the same cloth. They are not for the long term, I think. I hope I have been able to articulate myself adequately.

Perfectly put about Mourhino especially the psychological affect he has on a player(s)and his ultra conservative tactics - however I would not have thought the same about Conte(until recent!y).I still think Conte is good coach but I think he is acting the maggot for reasons mentioned before.

Three 0-0s in a row, and this site is positively buzzing with activity.  Funny that.  I guess the issues are becoming clearer.

A fair result would have been 1-2, and 11 players each.  The Chillwell 2nd yellow was a joke.  Should have given us the match.  Its a chill well that lets nobody drink water

The Palace, Burnley and WHU losses were all very similar.  A slow approach by us, not nearly enough activity in their half, and the just decided to come at us.  This brutal ignorance of our superior qualities and refusal to cower seems to be the way to beat us.  The clubs that do well spot that if we play with just 2 up front, or without Fabregas, then we can't harm them much if they come at us.  

And today we were often sat right back, 8 in the box, and just 2 chasing shadows outside it (Morata and Hazard don't chase very hard either).  Our worst case of "standing in the wrong places" since that Arsenal game.

Who'd have thought Conte could find a way of playing Fabregas, Hazard, Pedro and Willian while looking so timid.

And it is all very well saying we don't have many players to pick from.  But we do have Drinkwater and Zappacosta.

PS 14 fouls by us.  Close to a personal best I'd guess.

Edited by Droy was my hero

Conte's tactics continue to dismay but don't discount how knackered the players are. We've been playing every 3/4 days since August and we have a tiny squad. The coach has contributed to that with the attitude he showed to fringe players last year but the board has to face up to what they've given the coach to work with.

Time for the club to find a sustainable philosophy, which will probably require a change of coach.

5 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

(JP on fabregas and Hazard)????

Yes.  Tony Gale on commentary was puzzled why people were booing Fabregas and Hazard when anything they tried failed to come off.
For once Gale was right.  90% of what we achieved in first 60 mins involved them as a pair.

4 hours ago, WHYSOSLOWYEH said:

How is Moses still in the team

Indeed.  Anyone still think he could play AM in the Prem?

3 hours ago, James Prescott said:

It was reported just after Jose was sacked, in a report saying we wanted Pep, but he'd told Roman he needed 10 new players. 

Whether it's true or not I have no idea, but the point is, it's not far from the truth is it? We do need a few new players.

Well Conte got 6 players, non expensive, and won the league.  How did Pep do last year?  
He had a team that had been first twice, 2nd twice and 4th once in the previous 5 years.  He got Nolito, Gundagon, Sane, Jesus, Stones and Bravo that summer, and still didn't win the league.   Now he's added B Silva, Ederson, Walker, Danilo and Mendy, he'd better perform this season.    

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Conte has the hump from the off with the Bakayoko deal when the board "cleverly" replaced Matic , a man who knew the role and the league inside out with an injured kid from a weaker league . I think he's cutting his nose off to spite his face.

Funny thing is that Bakayoko at DM (when Kante was out) looked a big step up on Matic.  And Matic has done an RLC, gained enormous applause for leaving Chelsea, but played rubbish, consistent rubbish.  Baka mostly looks rubbish when he gets in or around the oppo box - somewhere that Matic hardly ever got to.

Even if you accept the idea that Conte is not involved in decison making on transfers (lucicrous IMO, but whatever), you'd have to say that numbers, balance, the RB, the second striker, the lack of AMs are all bigger issues than the Baka for Matic one.

Keep putting out performances like recently and the club will be trying to flog tickets down North End Road for a fiver