• Current Donation Goals

The board won’t take performances like that forever. And as ever it will be the manager who pays the price.

But we do need a deeper squad. A couple of bright moments apart, our three key attacking players were poor - probably because they are knackered. 

Hazard and Fabregas were poor overall. They didn’t create much. 

Maybe if we had more strength in depth both up front and creatively they wouldn’t be having to play so many games and carry the team attacking wise. 

The real problem is not the players. It’s the board refusing to invest in the squad as much as we need,  and Conte’s over defensive and limited tactical flexibility - plus the fact the players seem to have stopped playing for him, knowing he is going. 

And, above all, we have very few real leaders in the squad. Proper Chelsea people. We could honestly do with a Drogba, Lamps or Jody Morris in the first team coaching staff right now. 

25 minutes ago, Gormangorman said:

Keep putting out performances like recently and the club will be trying to flog tickets down North End Road for a fiver

£15 for kids and seniors on Wednesday.  Plenty seem to be available.

12 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

And, above all, we have very few real leaders in the squad. Proper Chelsea people.

Can't agree with you there.  And we had even more back in 15/16, that didn't help either.  
We always knew that this would be a tough tough season, just like 15/16.
Mind you the refs certainly seem to have been on our side recently.

31 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

The board won’t take performances like that forever.

Well James, they've been 'taking' them for a fair while now, and there's still a fair while left to play this season. Unless something remarkable happens in the remainder of this transfer window, I just can't see how things will improve (i.e., same manager + same players = same performance). If they move on Conte, then who comes in, and what does he do to change things? There's not a lot of miracle workers out there.

And as ever it will be the manager who pays the price.

Because he sets the tactics, and selects the team. I don't think that this is controversial, anymore than I think that it's only a Chelsea solution. Cheaper to sack the manager, than selling a bunch of players (and finding/funding their replacements).

And, above all, we have very few real leaders in the squad. Proper Chelsea people. We could honestly do with a Drogba, Lamps or Jody Morris in the first team coaching staff right now. 

And these guys would do what, exactly? If the club's transfer policy doesn't change, then nothing else will.

Chuckso   
3 hours ago, kev61 said:

however I would not have thought the same about Conte(until recent!y).I still think Conte is good coach but I think he is acting the maggot for reasons mentioned before.

Sure Kev but do cast your mind back. The last truly effervescent, sum of the parts equals whole performance we have given, I recall, was the 6-0 vs Everton on the 29th August of last year. More than a year ago. The performances we have done well since in vs Stoke, Huddersfield and Atletico Madrid were teams who surrendered territory and hence initiative to us. We did not have to fight for or seize it ourselves, because our manager makes it impossible. Go toe to toe. Contrast this with the lesser teams who decided to go toe to toe, West Ham, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Arsenal, Norwich. We were found wanting because we did not respond in kind. I watched all these games carefully. We fall back and surrender territory and the hence initiative. I call it football of cowardice. An analogy would be a much bigger guy (superior players and team) cowering in the face of a much smaller guy (less talented players and team).

Conte is a good coach, no doubt. However he is only a few rungs on the ladder removed from the ultra conservative Mourinho, and their brand of football is somewhat detrimental. I actually had observed this, as I mentioned, for about a year now, despite us winning the championship. The performances never quite measured.

Edited by Chuckso

Sanchez is going to United....goodness me. Rashford is now their fourth choice striker. 

And we think we can challenge on four fronts with Morata and Carroll. 

Roman and the board say they want regular CL football. 

Unless they invest, they won’t even get that. We’re becoming Arsenal. 

“Sigh”.,

Having a proper Chelsea person, who knows what the club is all about, as a voice in the dressing room, can make a difference.

JT did that last year and we are missing it. 

Just now, James Prescott said:

Sanchez is going to United....goodness me. Rashford is now their fourth choice striker. 

And we think we can challenge on four fronts with Morata and Carroll. 

Roman and the board say they want regular CL football. 

Unless they invest, they won’t even get that. We’re becoming Arsenal. 

“Sigh”.,

Don't count your chickens , we're probably going to see Morata on his own when they loan Michy.

4 minutes ago, James Prescott said:

Having a proper Chelsea person, who knows what the club is all about, as a voice in the dressing room, can make a difference.

JT did that last year and we are missing it. 

He did it the year before too.  Doesn't always work.

ripz   

I wonder if the start of this transfer window was any kind of last straw, like did Conte go and say he wanted some players of his choice and upon getting the usual response of "no, here have Barkley and Carroll" they decided that was that and he now knows he'll go at the end of the season and doesn't really give a **** anymore.