• Current Donation Goals

xCELERYx   

So, from our 22 league games this season we've had a total of 345 shots on goal, 123 of which have been on target. For an overall return of 41 goals. 

No wonder Conte and some players are bemoaning our lack of finishing. 

Holymoly   

Don't know about you all but this season is rapidly becoming a bit of a non-starter. If we lose out to Arsenal and Barcelona I can see us slowly going down the plughole and into the Europa League. We need something to energize things.

GURJ SS   
3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I want to see this:

Courtois

Azpilicueta Christensen Rudiger Alonso

Fabregas Kante Barkley

Pedro Morata Hazard

Subs: Caballero, Cahill, Luiz, Moses, Drinkwater, Willian, Batshuayi

I don't think we'll ever switch to that formation, just because in my opinion Willian would be picked ahead of Barkley as he's better than him in pretty much every way. Having said that, there's a small chance Conte hasn't played that way because they'd be no bench option, which now Barkley/Willian would give. I just think that if Barkley is able to walk into our side ahead of the players we have then there's something seriously wrong with the quality of players we have, because he doesn't do the same at the other top 5 clubs.

GURJ SS   
1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

So, from our 22 league games this season we've had a total of 345 shots on goal, 123 of which have been on target. For an overall return of 41 goals. 

No wonder Conte and some players are bemoaning our lack of finishing. 

We lack players with killer instinct in front of goal.

GURJ SS   
1 hour ago, Holymoly said:

Don't know about you all but this season is rapidly becoming a bit of a non-starter. If we lose out to Arsenal and Barcelona I can see us slowly going down the plughole and into the Europa League. We need something to energize things.

Money, and lots of it. Not saying we should go out and go crazy but if we want to keep pace we have to start acting on it. Both Manchester teams will throw another bucket load at their manager, Wenger will get another pound added to his budget, Klopp is making the board back their words(although he has probably over spent on the wrong player), and Spurs are very similar to us in terms of transfer policy; they'll spend on long term players just before they are properly valuated, rather than 2-3 year life shelf players.

We heard Fifa Fair Play and crapped ourselves and then capped ourselves. We should have continued spending and built a solid base when we had the chance. I know it's in hindsight that I'm saying this, but at the time of us starting to budget ourselves we were the only club doing it. While we gave ourselves a pat on the back, no one else did and especially Fifa didn't; instead we saw other teams run riot and find clever ways of working around the rules. 

38 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

We heard Fifa Fair Play and crapped ourselves and then capped ourselves.

Not fair.  The owner pumped and pumped money into the club well beyond the point where it should be able to stand on its own two feet.  A further set of investment on young players over 2011-14 lead to more great teams and 2 recent titles.  Just when do you think RA is allowed to stop pumping more money in?
FFP suits us, we are on the inside.  It is good for the club.

52 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

We lack players with killer instinct in front of goal.

To an extent yes but when a lot of your chances are falling to defenders or defensive midfielders from the edge of the area it is no wonder we don't score enough.

I'd love to know how many of the 300+ chances we have had were from inside the penalty area or genuine goal scoring opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not fair.  The owner pumped and pumped money into the club well beyond the point where it should be able to stand on its own two feet.  A further set of investment on young players over 2011-14 lead to more great teams and 2 recent titles.  Just when do you think RA is allowed to stop pumping more money in?

I see it this way too. At some point Roman was going to stop spending his own money and let the football club be as self sustaining as possible which is only a good thing. 

I think people also forget we are trying to build a new stadium at a huge cost. 

GURJ SS   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yeah I'm probably being unfair, but in hindsight I think we stopped spending too soon; I'm sure the club would have known this was coming and should have prepared a little better for it.

I'm not having a dig at our current set of players in anyway here, more so at the board and it's transfer targets. But if we take a look at our recent midfielders: Lamps and Ballack walk into the side alongside Kante, but that's not the issue as they'd do that at many other sides. My concern is how much quality we've lost over the years, and I genuinely think that the likes of Mikel and Ramires would be an improvement on the players we currently have; bar Cesc(best playmaker in the league) and Kante, I'd even put Oscar back in and see him as a real option before the rest. There was a time when we had so much quality that if someone got injured or left it didn't affect us, for example: if our winger got injured when the likes of Lamps, Ballack, Essien and Maka were around it didn't matter, because they'd provide so much quality that we'd still be able to operate at a level better than the rest. I know in recent times we've had the likes of Man City come to the fore but we've still fallen far behind what we used to have on an in-club level, the defence side of our team is fine but the middle and attack is lacking. Our biggest problem is at central midfield, we've got Kante who is brilliant at doing what he does but not great going forward, his ideal partner for me is Cesc but he just can't win the ball back, we then put someone else in and the level of quality drops massively. We haven't got enough quality in our all rounders DD and Baka, Ramires walks in ahead of them, and so does someone like Meireles. We've fallen behind in an area that's the most difficult to improve in, players like Modric, Nainngolan, Vidal and Verratti are very hard to come by, at the moment our all rounders are closer to mid table teams than those lot. I'll say again, not having a dig at the player we have, but genuinely concerned at the level of quality we as a club have in some areas, if we're looking to settle for 3rd place and having a go, and also having a go in the he Champions League every season coupled with domestic titles then fair enough; and that wouldn't bother me if the reality is we can't compete with the Manc clubs, but this problem of ours started before the big money signings started.

3 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

and I genuinely think that the likes of Mikel and Ramires would be an improvement on the players we currently have;

I often think that there are only half a dozen of us who ever really appreciated what Mikel and Ramires did for us.  Ramires for example - played AM and CM at the same time for us, as if he were two players.
But our real problem is that we are playing the midfield 3 players short.  3rd CB mostly stays deep and both FBs go wide, which means we are often swamped by ordinary sides like WHU.  When it works we are solid and the WB get their opportunities out wide alone.  But it doesn't always work.