• Current Donation Goals

Michael Tucker

"If I Was Roman Abramovich, I'd......."

Recommended Posts

xCELERYx   
14 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Even if they have no resale value and leave the club in a financial hole when they coach leaves or is sacked? 

That's the price of success at times. Difficult to have it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

Even if they have no resale value and leave the club in a financial hole when they coach leaves or is sacked? 

Any manager in any business can identify whats needed to complete their team, be it on a pitch or in an office. By giving the hire and fire decision with someone in close contact to day to day activities has to improve that team/group. By improving it it will bring returns but if it doesnt the manager is then the some person responsible and pays with his job.

In general a good manger with experience will know what is good and what is bad in terms of choice and value and will understand the consequences of it going in the right or wrong way.

Higher management can not and should not micro manage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

Any manager in any business can identify whats needed to complete their team, be it on a pitch or in an office. By giving the hire and fire decision with someone in close contact to day to day activities has to improve that team/group. By improving it it will bring returns but if it doesnt the manager is then the some person responsible and pays with his job.

In general a good manger with experience will know what is good and what is bad in terms of choice and value and will understand the consequences of it going in the right or wrong way.

Higher management can not and should not micro manage.

I know this comes from higher management pressure but when a coach is under extreme pressure to perform immediately, or lose his job, he's inclined to look for players that can perform immediately rather than look for those that present long-term value. For this reason I think you need someone in the club moderating the coach's requests and saying what is and isn't possible. I don't think we have that person at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

I know this comes from higher management pressure but when a coach is under extreme pressure to perform immediately, or lose his job, he's inclined to look for players that can perform immediately rather than look for those that present long-term value. For this reason I think you need someone in the club moderating the coach's requests and saying what is and isn't possible. I don't think we have that person at the moment.

If that person was Emenalo that structure also didn't work as he as the mediator/moderator seemed to side with the club ahead of the coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, exiledblue said:

Any manager in any business can identify whats needed to complete their team, be it on a pitch or in an office. By giving the hire and fire decision with someone in close contact to day to day activities has to improve that team/group. By improving it it will bring returns but if it doesnt the manager is then the some person responsible and pays with his job.

Ah you've answered the coach/manager semantics question.
He's a manager when he is hired, and a coach when he is fired.

1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

If that person was Emenalo that structure also didn't work as he as the mediator/moderator seemed to side with the club ahead of the coach

Except it did work.  It was the long term planning and simple buying young talent over 2011 to 2104 that laid the basis of the team that won 2 PLs and is still riding high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kev61   

I would invite jt and Lampard on to my luxury yacht and discuss football at every level.These are two players that are Chelsea through and through with intelligence and have no axe to grind.Depending what they tell me I would 'fire' like Alan sugar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2018 at 3:49 AM, Droy was my hero said:

Ah you've answered the coach/manager semantics question.

Sorry, but there isn't any coach/manager 'semantics' question, other than in your own head.

On 1/24/2018 at 3:49 AM, Droy was my hero said:

He's a manager when he is hired, and a coach when he is fired.

Sorry, but that's total bollocks (again).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael - either start to name some managers and then name some coaches, or just give this up.  They are all somewhere in the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Michael - either start to name some managers and then name some coaches, or just give this up.  They are all somewhere in the middle.

Look up each team in the Prem,  see what the positions are (and they are different, even if you don't like to face the truth - some are managers, and some are head coaches). Some control the purchasing of players; some don't; some have a bit each way. What amazes me, is that you still can't see (acknowledge) the different responsibilities, even when they're staring you in the face. Arguing, for the simple sake of it - that's you to a tee. I'm done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
23 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Look up each team in the Prem,  see what the positions are (and they are different, even if you don't like to face the truth - some are managers, and some are head coaches). Some control the purchasing of players; some don't; some have a bit each way. What amazes me, is that you still can't see (acknowledge) the different responsibilities, even when they're staring you in the face. Arguing, for the simple sake of it - that's you to a tee. I'm done.

I have to say, I am with Droy on this one.

At the top level, there is no manager / coach anywhere who has autonomy on playing transfers. Just doesn't happen anymore. 

All of them (whatever they are called) pick the team, do the coaching, the tactics, and they all have discussions with their board about transfers in / out. 

It is crazy to think that the football experts (the managers / coaches) are then supposed to be business experts when it comes to negotiating transfers / contracts. In the same way it would be crazy for a CEO to take training. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now