Michael Tucker

"If I Was Roman Abramovich, I'd......."

Ham   

Conte and Abramovich since January.....

tenor.gif

14 hours ago, Ham said:

Conte and Abramovich since January.....

tenor.gif

Very similar to how Mourinho II reacted after not being backed in the transfer market the summer after winning the league. He became increasingly petulant and eventually alienated everyone (players, fans, board). Plus he risked everything on trying to win games and lost a lot.

Conte is becoming ever more petulant. He's not taking as many risks as Mouinho II did hence our almost acceptable league position.

Is it a surprise to anyone that we're not showing the same 'ambition' as the Manchester teams? I.e. £200M+ net spend. The big surprise for me is the consistency of our 2 worst enemies. Conte seems to have the mistaken belief that the owner of the club is some sort of billionaire.

6 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Very similar to how Mourinho II reacted after not being backed in the transfer market the summer after winning the league. He became increasingly petulant and eventually alienated everyone (players, fans, board). Plus he risked everything on trying to win games and lost a lot.

Generally I think both got stuffed in September, and both in public handled it quite well actually.  Of course problems on the pitch lead to leading questions and pretty soon everyone knows something is wrong.

The key difference is the bit in bold.  JM took the team on a sh1t or bust charge that collapsed.  Conte has been ultra cautious and done the opposite. 

Personally I'm find JM's dangerous risky approach much easier to sympathise with.  But the fact is that we are still in 5th place with a chance for top 4.  Conte's way is right.

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Generally I think both got stuffed in September, and both in public handled it quite well actually.  Of course problems on the pitch lead to leading questions and pretty soon everyone knows something is wrong.

The key difference is the bit in bold.  JM took the team on a sh1t or bust charge that collapsed.  Conte has been ultra cautious and done the opposite. 

Personally I'm find JM's dangerous risky approach much easier to sympathise with.  But the fact is that we are still in 5th place with a chance for top 4.  Conte's way is right.

When you look at our season from afar it doesn't look too bad. 4th - 6th was predicted by many given the squad we had on 1 September. But when you look at match by match you see a picture of passivity and increasingly disinterest from the coach. Some of the starting XIs and use of subs have been mind boggling. Other than the flirtation with 352 and the panic switches to 424 we haven't seen any evidence of innovation or evolution in patterns of play. We try to do the same thing over and over again, with ever diminishing returns. Boredom is high, quality is low.

Add to this his demeanour and complaints about the club's lack of ambition and you have to hope Roman is whittling down his shortlist as we speak. Hopefully there's a list for Director of Football and a list for First Team Coach.

How far do you have to go to be sacked for gross misconduct? I'm guessing a few people in the club have been getting legal advice on this point.

2 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

When you look at our season from afar it doesn't look too bad. 4th - 6th was predicted by many given the squad we had on 1 September. But when you look at match by match you see a picture of passivity and increasingly disinterest from the coach.

Actually there is a thread on this and almost no one but me thought we might be outside the top 4.  Which is why it is now so odd that I find myself defending Conte.  

Passivity and increasing disinterest contrasts with how JM was in a similar position - but then they do have different approaches.  I think passive is the way he expects the tactics and players to be - so no surprise that is how he behaves on the touchline.
Subs was a weak point right from the start of last season, the only difference being that it is now permissable to criticise Conte, whereas last season just praising the players without paying due respect to Conte got you screamed at by half a dozen posters here.  Tactics - there was only one set of tactics last season.  We looked rubbish in the few attempts we had at chasing a win in the last 20 mins.  We looked rubbish last season too whenever any club dared to press us deep into our own half - but almost no one dared.

Rubbish press conferences were another theme from last season that we were not allowed to mention.  Too many comments he makes are really just words put into his mouth by hacks who sense he won't be here much longer so no longer merits any respect.  Too willing to answer questions rather than take an agenda into a press conference IMO.  And not recognising that there is fluency in English and an ability to control conversations and the two are different.  More fool him.

I think it is time to recognise he got a very thin squad through 22 games in 10 and a half weeks with almost certainly more injuries than we knew about.  That we won quite a few games in that time despite not looking any better than the oppo, and certainly without putting in as much effort.  A bit of that good fortune and we could have been 2 big wins out of 3 big games, and feeling very proud.

There is a lot to moan about Conte - it has been all there for nearly 2 years now.  He hasn't suddenly turned into being a non-trying player (any more than Costa did late last season).  Fans are fickle, that is all there is to it.

Besides - why on earth would we sack him?  Conte is certainly being wooed by bigger clubs, and no doubt has been for much of the season.  You may have noticed he got his hair cut shorter and more respectable.  It was done in early December.  That was an interview cut.

Edited by Droy was my hero

synavm   
On 3/6/2018 at 5:54 PM, Droy was my hero said:

You may have noticed he got his hair cut shorter and more respectable.  It was done in early December.  That was an interview cut.

Conte's hair has never been anything but tragic since managing us.

Love the guy, though.